Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
Renee1061
DIS Veteran

Wilderness Lodge, Here We Come!!! Updated - Final Thoughts, Page 10

CHAPTER 1

This is my very first trip report. Well, actually, this is the pre-trip report, since we haven’t gone yet. I debated on whether to post this in Pre-Trip Reports or Trip Reports, since I don’t think I can move it around after I get started. Decided to post in Trip Reports since that is what it will be when all is said and done.

(Okay, now that I’ve read back over what I’ve written below, I guess this should officially be called a pre-pre-trip report)

It’s a small cast of characters. Only two of us. But we have enough fun for 10!!

Me, Renee (ageless)
DD, Lindsay (14)

I’ve tried to think of clever, mother-daughter, Disney-related nicknames for us. Sadly, I have realized that most Disney movie characters don’t have mothers! It’s really depressing when you think about it. Cinderella has a stepmother, but no mother….Ariel, no mother….Snow White…no mother….Jasmine….no mother….Bambi’s mother was killed….Aurora…does she have a mother?....Okay, there’s Simba & Sarabi, but Simba is a boy, and I just don’t think of myself as a Sarabi. So, for lack of anything more creative, I’ll call us Renee & Lindsay. At least I should be able to remember that!

Let me try to get you up to speed on my tiny family and our Disney adventures up until now.

Our first trip was in 1997. It was me, DH, and DD (who was then 4, almost 5). We had not yet caught total Disney fever, so our trip consisted of the following: Stayed off-site at a timeshare, went to MK, MGM, SeaWorld, and a petting farm somewhere nearby. We were there a grand total of 3-1/2 days. It was fun. Lindsay got to meet Mickey Mouse and give him a picture she had colored for him.

Fast forward to July, 2003. DH had surgery for a brain aneurysm in September, 2001 (two weeks after 9/11) and as a result of the surgery, had brain damage and was mentally handicapped. I was determined to give Lindsay a good vacation, since we had not gotten to go anywhere in a couple of years. She wanted to go back to Florida, but this time, she wanted to go to Universal Studios. I really wanted to go to Disney World, but I reminded myself that I was doing this for my daughter. So, we did 3 days at US, one day at MK, and one day at the beach. Between the July heat and worrying about keeping up with DH (he was prone to wander off), it was less than a magical vacation for me. But Lindsay had fun, and that’s what mattered.

Coming up. Chapter 2….We finally get Disneyfied!!

April 2006 - All Star Movies/ April 2007 - Wilderness Lodge/ Nov 2007 - CBR/ June 2008 - CBR/May 2009 - School Band Trip (Off Site)/ June 2009 - Poly/June 2010 - Off-site (Bonnet Creek)/August 2011 - All Star Movies/October 2013 - CBR/ My Trip Report: Wilderness Lodge, Here We Come!

Last edited by Renee1061; 05-30-2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: updated
Old 04-17-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
serendipity
DIS Veteran

Geez....so sorry about your husband. I took a class with someone who suffered the same problem....very scary. However, I am looking foward to the trip report!
January 2008- Paris (with day trip to Disneyland Paris), Germany, Austria, Florence and Rome!!!/May 2007- Honeymoon at Disneyland and the great out west!/February 2007-Long weekend at POR/November 2007-Early Christmas at ASSp/WL/AKL/April 2006-Birthday celebration/1st trip with my husband at ASMo/AKL/1996-2000- Summers in Orlando every year to visit my Grandmother

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
disneymoon_0307
Disney World is my 2nd home!!!

I am so sorry about your husband. I'm looking forward to reading your pre pre trip report.
September 2006-POP-First time to Disney World with my fiance.September 2007-Coronado-First MNSSHPMay 2008-Our Disneymoon
Old 04-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #4
jcc0621
DIS Veteran

I'm in. Sorry about your husband. Glad that Dis can bring you and DD some joy

SAVING TO GO TO DISNEYLAND
Old 04-17-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
Renee1061
DIS Veteran

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Unfortunately, as you will find out in my next installment, the situation with my husband did not have a happy ending. But I am focusing on the positive here, because WDW has become such a place of joy for DD and me, as you will discover.

I am planning to add pictures when I have a chance.

April 2006 - All Star Movies/ April 2007 - Wilderness Lodge/ Nov 2007 - CBR/ June 2008 - CBR/May 2009 - School Band Trip (Off Site)/ June 2009 - Poly/June 2010 - Off-site (Bonnet Creek)/August 2011 - All Star Movies/October 2013 - CBR/ My Trip Report: Wilderness Lodge, Here We Come!
Old 04-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to your trip report. Sorry about your DH, that is awful When are you going? We love WL it's a great resort.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #7
Renee1061
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaysmommie View Post
Looking forward to your trip report. Sorry about your DH, that is awful When are you going? We love WL it's a great resort.
Thanks. We're leaving in 4 days. Most of the planning is done and I was getting antsy, so I started writing the trip report to keep me occupied. I am very excited about going to WL! It will be our first time there.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
srandsr76
Mouseketeer

Subscribing!!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
disneyaddicted
DIS Veteran

I am looking forward to reading more trip planning. I am so sorry about your husband, it's amazing the joy that Disney can give us. I hope you and DD get all the Disney Magic there is.

This freezing weather is crampin my style A Dec 2010 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post39318035
][IMG]
Old 04-18-2007, 05:39 AM   #10
Renee1061
DIS Veteran

Chapter 2

Over the next two years, DH’s health deteriorated, and he passed away in August, 2005.

After a few months, I decided that Lindsay & I needed to get away somewhere, just the two of us. We had both been through a very tough four years. I asked her where she wanted to go more than anywhere else, and she said, “Italy.” Where that came from, I have no idea, but I asked her to pick somewhere within the continental US. Her next choice (with possibly a little prompting from me) was….yes, you guessed it….Disney World!!

This was in February, 2006. I began looking at the calendar to figure out the best time to go. I didn’t want to go in the summer (too crowded and too hot), and I didn’t want to wait until November or December, so that left only one choice….Spring Break in April. Only two months away!!! Could I possibly plan a trip in that short amount of time? Well, at this point, I was still blissfully ignorant of all the planning that should go into a total Disney experience, so I booked the trip. Six nights at All Star Movies, six-day park hopper passes, no dining plan. I was glad that I didn’t discover the DIS boards until after I had booked the trip. Otherwise, I probably would have been in panic mode trying to plan the trip in such a short amount of time. But everything worked out beautifully!! There’s really not that much planning you have to do for two people. We didn’t make any ADRs…ate mostly counter service…but were able to do a couple of TS restaurants with only a short wait. It worked out perfectly for us. Our main focus was having fun at the parks. Eating was just something we did when we got hungry. One day we were at Epcot and had been walking around several hours and were absolutely famished! We got some Chicken McNuggets and french fries at the McDonalds stand near Canada. I must have really been starving, because those McNuggets tasted sooooo good!

For the first three days of our trip, I meticulously planned which parks we would go to, how long we would stay there, what we would ride, etc. We stuck to that plan pretty much, with maybe a few variations. For the final three days, we decided where we would go either the night before, or when we woke up the next morning.

We both fell madly in love with all things Disney, and before the trip was halfway over, we were trying to decide when to return.

Next up…Chapter 3…Will we ever make it back to Walt’s World?

Old 04-18-2007, 06:03 AM   #11
NMAmy
Can speak food in German
He seemed so normal when I met him
It's not like I'm getting any special sanitation type service
I'm old school-I like my cartoon rodents to be mice

Hi, Renee:

I'm so sorry about your husband. I'm glad you and your dd are able to find your happy place at WDW.

Lindsay is so cute! I recently stayed at the WL for the first time so I'm looking forward to hearing how you liked it when you get back.

I'm also looking forward to reading about your upcoming trip!
Old 04-18-2007, 06:13 AM   #12
Augustheather97
wild about Disney

I am sorry for your husband 's death too....but you seem like such a postive person....more people should be like you....you will LOVE WL....we went last month and my almost 10 year old daughter loved it....it is very relaxing there and so close to the MK which makes it nice...Have fun after 6 rough years you deserve it......

Old 04-18-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
kaysmommie
DIS Veteran

You are going to love WL. We stayed there twice with our DD and had a really nice time. The lobby is gorgeous and the new rooms are nice too. Make sure to eat at Whispering Canyon. Have a great vacation!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #14
Renee1061
DIS Veteran

Thanks to all for your replies. I think Lindsay is kinda cute too, but then, everyone says she looks like her mom! LOL!! I love all the glowing reports of WL. I think I am more excited about being there than I am going to the parks!! Well, maybe not quite, but almost!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #15
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

We're excited for you both!

Kathy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: