Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
lorijm23
Earning My Ears

How Bad is 4th of July?

We've been going to Disney and Universal for years and have been more times than I can remember. BUT, we never go during the dreaded busiest holiday times because I know the crowds can be unbearable. I must be losing my mind because I'm actually considering a trip to Universal for 4 days this year over 4th of July. How bad is it really? We would stay onsite at RPR so we'd have Express Pass but I hear more people are buying these that aren't staying on site and those lines can be pretty lengthy at times, too. What about the resorts? Can you even move in the pool areas? How bad are the waits at restaurants at Citywalk? Can you even get into one of these places to eat without an hour or more wait?

I know Citywalk usually has big 4th festivities and firework displays. My vision is 50,000 people crammed into Citywalk sidewalks shoulder to shoulder. Am I right?

We really want to go but don't want it to be so bad that we can't even enjoy anything. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
courage
Mouseketeer

power pass blacked out that week

I noticed that our Power pass has a blackout date of July 1- 8th so it must be pretty crowded. They aren't doing express anymore except for those in the resorts or those that purchase it so maybe it won't be bad in the park. Just get there early and hit the pool in the afternoon, it will be hot anyway. They are having fireworks at Citywalk but I would think you could see them from your resort?
courage is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
gschmerl
Not ignored by the Tag Fairy any longer!!!
Fun lover
Has seen the TF

I have been there three times during July 4th week. Staying on site made it great. I would get there at park opeining and ride Hulk and Dragons MANY times. Then my friend would meet me and we'd do the rest of the park. Then we'd either go over to US or back to the hotel for a swim. Usually we'd be finished our AM rides by 1:00, go have lunch, and then go to teh pool. We'd go back to the park at night because they are open late at that time. City Walk and the parks are a zoo on 4th of July night. The fireworks are great.
Obviously, since we've gone back a few times at that time of the year, we don't mind it at all. Just go to the parks early (even with FOTL). We never had trouble getting chairs at the pool at the RPR.
gschmerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

on the actual holiday, it will be crowded. is that your first day on site and at the parks?

and city walk will have their crowds also.

only a certain number of express passes are sold each day per park.

have you made your ressie already for the hotel?
from what you have posted, i can't tell if you have yet.
that might be a determining factor for your trip.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
robvia
DIS Veteran
Exit re-ride expert
Talks way too much
Ask me about my theme park attack plan!
Will have hots for Robinrs if she builds a B&M flyer

You do the two visit approach during the busy times. The good news is that parks stay open until 10pm. So you can tour early in the morning, rest at the hotel in the afternoon, then come back at night to see the 360 show.

robvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
momof3disneyholics
Maternal Unit Extraordinaire
I want a bunny bird!!!

The only thing I can say about that week is that it is very hot and very busy. Staying onsite should help, although I imagine no matter where you stay the pools will be very crowded.
momof3disneyholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #7
noseybuddy
Did I miss something?
OMG, this is like a soap opera!
Can't believe I even asked that, duh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijm23 View Post
We've been going to Disney and Universal for years and have been more times than I can remember. BUT, we never go during the dreaded busiest holiday times because I know the crowds can be unbearable. I must be losing my mind because I'm actually considering a trip to Universal for 4 days this year over 4th of July. How bad is it really? We would stay onsite at RPR so we'd have Express Pass but I hear more people are buying these that aren't staying on site and those lines can be pretty lengthy at times, too. What about the resorts? Can you even move in the pool areas? How bad are the waits at restaurants at Citywalk? Can you even get into one of these places to eat without an hour or more wait?

I know Citywalk usually has big 4th festivities and firework displays. My vision is 50,000 people crammed into Citywalk sidewalks shoulder to shoulder. Am I right?

We really want to go but don't want it to be so bad that we can't even enjoy anything. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I went 4th of July weekend a few years ago and all I can say that it was a GREAT weekend. I stayed at RPH, went to the pool in the afternoon, was able to get a place to sit and the pool wasn't too crowded. I had no problem getting on any rides. Never waited more than 5 minutes and most times didn't wait at all. I made ressies for dinner before I got there for every night that we were there. The fireworks at Citywalk were great. Yes it is crowded but you can find a place to sit/stand. With having the fotl pass we had plenty of free time to do other stuff. We went to Seaworld one day, I did the VIP tour. If you can splurge for this I highly recommend it. We even had time to go to the movies. Hope this info helps.
Carribean Beach 6/94 , All Star Sports 2/96, Boardwalk 4/97, All Star Music 12/97, All Star Movies 2/99, Paradise Island Atlantis 2/00, Beach Club 10/00, Hard Rock Hotel 4/01, Grand Floridian 8/02, Royal Pacific Resort 7/03, Mariner of the Seas 12/03, 9/05 POFQ, 8/06 Poly, 8/07 Poly,11/07 Atlantis Paradise Island

ATLANTIS PARADISE ISLAND
noseybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
F-L-A
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorijm23 View Post

Once the show ends and everyone is leaving, yes. It'll be a sea of humanity. I would recommend eating dinner or something afterwards if you don't want to deal with the crowds. Or you could just leave early.
F-L-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:44 PM   #9
lorijm23
Earning My Ears

How Bad is 4th of July

Thanks all for the info! I did book RPH for July 3 - July 6 with a Florida residents rate of $189.00, which is a better rate than I thought I'd get for the holiday week. I figured if we changed our minds due to the crowds then I could always cancel up to the week before.

I didn't even think about being able to see the fireworks from the hotel and avoid the Citywalk crowds! Does the lagoon at RPH face towards Citywalk so that we could sit on the beach and watch them?

Being a Floridian I am all to aware of the extreme heat during this time and up until the last 2 years I wouldn't go to any parks from end of May - mid September because of the heat. But, now that son is in middle school and it's not easy for him to miss school, we are pretty much confined to the busy non school periods except for weekend trips. I don't love it but have not died from heatstroke yet.

Again thanks all and I think we're just going to go for it. My husband will complain but what else is new!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
gschmerl
Not ignored by the Tag Fairy any longer!!!
Fun lover
Has seen the TF

You miss some of the "ground effect" fireworks if you watch from the hotel. Just sit after the fireworks end and wait for the crowd to disperse.
gschmerl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: