Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2002, 10:42 PM   #1
jimsta
Earning My Ears

Tipping in Paolo

After enjoying our meal recently in Paolo our server told us, before we left dinner, that the wait staff does not receive any of the $5 per head that we are charged for dinner reservations. She made us feel that an additional gratuity would be appropriate.
We were under the impression that the $5 fee was because the Paolo staff did not get any of the tip that we left our servers at the end of the trip. Anyone else ever hear the story from the wait staff and is it true?
jimsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 10:57 PM   #2
Tluvs2talk
I feel like I am in the "Twilight Zone" over the word ******
Please don't split my bathroom

jimsta,
While I did leave an extra tip for my waitress at palo's I think it was very inappropriate for your server to approach you with this. I have only heard that the tip was split between the staff at Palo's. I really feel that I would have left nothing additional if cornered this way. I also feel that it is up to Disney to pay the staff a fair wage , so I am not left feeling guilty about how many children my tip has to feed. Don't get me wrong I am a GREAT tipper!!! I even tip good for ok service, I just think you should not be hassled for money on the ship, that happens enough when you are off the boat in port.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2002, 07:32 AM   #3
wovenwonder
DIS Veteran

Your $5 fee ($10 brunch) is a cover charge per se'. The server probably receives a VERY little percentage of this -- as another poster told us the fee is split between ALL of the staff at Palo's. We tipped for brunch what we felt would have been tipped at a very elite bruch stop - an extra $10 for the two of us (in additition to our $20 cover charge). I have to somewhat agree that it seemed inappropriate for the server to approach you concerning the tip. I do feel however that the general public needs to be more informed concerning the tipping process at Palo's. Possibly DCL could enclose an explanation of where your cover charge actually goes when you receive your Palo ressie confirmations in the stateroom - this way customers could better judge what they feel would be an appropriate amount for them to add as a 'tip' for their servers - and it would eliminate the need for the servers to feel that they should be explaining the procedure.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:15 AM   #4
Thumper1
Live Long and Prosper!

Upon making my Palo reservations on board, I asked the reservation person about the tipping procedure and the service fee. They said that it is the tip and is divided between the servers. We left extra, but if you think that the suggested amount for your regular server is about $3.75 a day, this is fair.

Of course tipping is a personal thing and should be decided by each individual.
Thumper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 11:22 AM   #5
deebs
DIS Veteran

We left $10 for dinner and $10 for brunch. The servers do deserve it and Disney (or any cruise line) do not pay fair wages. They do depend on tips for their livelihood.
deebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 12:10 PM   #6
CamColt
Only thinks she’s not losing it
Mom gone wild!
I really feel like I have a good grip on things now
B1 BINGO!

Yikes! While I have every intention of leaving a good amount extra when we eat there, if our server makes a comment like that to me, they wont get any extra. To me thats bad service, and I wont tip for bad service.
Does anyone know if the "extra" tip gets divided up between all the waitstaff, like the 5.00, or does it just go to your particular server?

CamColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 12:35 PM   #7
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

Cool

We have always tipped extra at Palo (other than the very first time we were there, when we didn't really know how things worked). We figure out how much we would normally tip at a restaurant of that quality. Our servers have never said anything about leaving additional...we just learned about things work via the message boards. A couple of trips ago, I seem to recall there was a little card given to us with the slip for the cover charge that explained how the cover charge worked. I don't recall whether they still give that, but I think it's a good idea. It gives you an understanding and the option to leave more without feeling pressured.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.*****************
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 02:06 PM   #8
Mmketeer
DIS Cast Member- no really, but now retired after 10yrs
Where's my free room service I want a cookie!!

Hi all,

If it's not being to personal maybe it would help if everyone could give an actual or estimated amount of how much they do tip there. I am guessing $10 per couple is the going rate so far...I would put my two cents in, but I haven't eaten there yet and so I too am curious.

Thanks,
Mmketeer 'Wonder' Jan.20th
Mmketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 02:59 PM   #9
Cathy K.
Mouseketeer

Mmketeer,

On our last cruise in October the service we received at Palo's was so exceptional that we tipped an extra $20 for dinner and $20 for brunch which we were able to attend twice.

I also handed our server $10 cash after tea. I brought the cash with me because there is no cover charge for tea so I knew there would be no slip where I could give an extra tip.

Palo's was one of the highlights of this cruise so I was happy to tip the extra and everyone seemed very appreciative especially the server at high tea. When we went for our second brunch towards the end of the week several of the servers made a point of stopping to chat with us.
Cathy K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 03:24 PM   #10
"Ginger"
Sailing, sailing away is where I want to be....

What about tipping at Topsiders

While on our last cruise in Oct. on the Magic we enjoyed dining at Topsiders for dinner. There is no cover charge there and the service was just as good as it was at Palo's. We did tip but we were also confused with the thought of just how much.

We had dinner at Palo's twice and brunch once I also did the High Tea once. We tipped $20 for each Dinner and Brunch. I gave $3. at High Tea, it was just me and that's all the money I had on me.
#1 "WONDER" 12/05/99. 3 days the start of it all the rest were 7 days or longer.
#2 "MAGIC" 09/20/00
**DVC MEMBERS** 10/2000
#3 "MAGIC" 01/17/01
#4 "MAGIC" 10/27/2001 "HALLOWEEN"
#5 MAGIC" 10/26/2002 "HALLOWEEN" #6 "MAGIC" 10/25/2003 "HALLOWEEN"
#7 "MAGIC" 10/30/2004 "HALLOWEEN"
#8 "MAGIC" 08/20/2005 Panama Canal
#9 "MAGIC" 10/28/2006 "HALLOWEEN"
#10 "MAGIC" 10/04/2008 cruising w/GiGi
#11 "Dream" 01/22/2012 Family reunion
"Ginger" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:33 PM   #11
WiseGirl

DIS Veteran

Palo Tips

I kept our guest account from our Feb '01 Wonder cruise and my husband and I tipped $12 for each of us when we ate at Palo. We had great food and service and must have really been feeling the magic that night - lol!!! I don't feel this was excessive considering the meal and service we received. I know we tried to guess what the meal would have cost and tipped accordingly. But JMHO.
WiseGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:58 PM   #12
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

Cool

Just wondering...
Are the amounts being posted in addition to the $5, or do they include the $5?
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.*****************
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 09:17 AM   #13
Cathy K.
Mouseketeer

My amounts were in addition to the cover charge.
Cathy K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 10:31 AM   #14
MollyX
Earning My Ears

Palo tipping

The Disney Cruise Line website, under their Q&A section regarding adult dining at Palo, says that "There is a service charge of $5 per guest for gratuities."

So either Disney is misrepresenting that $5 charge on their website or the servers are angling for extra. If they deserve extra and you want to pay it, fine. But Disney leads us to believe that the $5 fee is for gratuities at Palo.
Old 01-03-2002, 10:34 AM   #15
deebs
DIS Veteran

We gave $10 in addition to the surcharge
deebs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: