Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
elwise1966
What's this Tag Fairy I keep hearing about?

Spaceship Earth

I hear from a friend that lives in Florida that Spaceship Earth got a new sponsor (AT&T he thought) and that the ride will close December 2007 for refurbishment for the new sponsor.

Has anyone else heard this or can confirm it?
Old 10-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
DancingBear
DIS Veteran

The new sponsor is Siemens. Other than redoing the area at the exit of the ride (behind SE as you approach it from Epcot entrance), and changing the end of the ride where the sponsor is highlighted, I'm not sure what else is known about changes resulting from the new sponsorship.
DancingBear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwise1966
I hear from a friend that lives in Florida that Spaceship Earth got a new sponsor (AT&T he thought) and that the ride will close December 2007 for refurbishment for the new sponsor.

Has anyone else heard this or can confirm it?
The new sponsor is Sieman's and I believ they are already redoing the plaza after you disembark. As for closing the ride, I do not know.

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
elwise1966
What's this Tag Fairy I keep hearing about?

Just found an older thread discussing this. Sorry...I should have searched first.

So it looks as if it will remain basically the same ride, with maybe a few scene changes then.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:37 AM   #5
tww369
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up I heard that too

I was there in August and along with the obvious signs of work being done to the ride part ofthe exit hallway was blocked off, a CM told me that engineers had been showing up daily they are working to update to ride. none of the CM's have been told what is was planned so far
tww369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:08 AM   #6
OnceUponAStar*
Future Imagineer :-)

Siemens is the new sponser and they are re doing the area by the exit. AT&T was the sponser of Spaceship Earth before Siemens.
July 01-Disney Cruise 7 night Eastern Caribbean
August 02-Polynesian
August 04-Wilderness Lodge
August 05-Contemporary
July 06-Animal Kingdom Lodge and WDW Dolphin
June 07- Beach Club
July 07- Pop Century
Oct 08-Birthday Weekend
Dec 08-Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
Aug 09-Bay Lake Tower
Oct 09-Birthday Weekend & Halloween Party
Summer 2010: Hopeful WDW Seasonal Cast Member
Fall 2012 WDWCP?

OnceUponAStar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

We were there last Monday, no start date as of then........
Old 10-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #8
2angelsinheaven
Loves making dreams come true!

Correct it's Siemens and I've heard they will redo everything from the room with the two kids on the laptops till the end of the ride and into the exit area.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

Love the ride. But the update is a welcome change!
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:07 AM   #10
genealle
Mouseketeer

Didn't SE get a remodel just a couple of years ago?
genealle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #11
mitros
I'm not nuts, I just appear to be
86 miles from the magic
The Tag Fairy will retire when people don't want anymore tags or she's asked to, whichever comes first :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2angelsinheaven
Correct it's Siemens and I've heard they will redo everything from the room with the two kids on the laptops till the end of the ride and into the exit area.

Just wondering where you heard that.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:03 PM   #12
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

IF there was a remodel, wasn't it basically the removal of anything relating to AT&T?
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #13
crazy4wdw
DIS Veteran

Spaceship Earth Rehab (Update)

The following info. is from Walt Disney World's media site. It's rumored that the ride portion of Spaceship Earth will be closing in June for an extensive rehab and then reopening sometimes in November. There is nothing on the Disney web site that confirmes this info. yet.

Quote:
Epcot’s Spaceship Earth Presented by Siemens is Transformed with a “Re-Imagined” Time-Travel Adventure and a New Finale

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (April 11, 2007) -- Inside the Epcot icon, remarkable changes will be taking place over the next several months. A re-imagined Spaceship Earth presented by Siemens will combine the magic of the iconic attraction's time-travel adventure into the past with a new finale which provides guests the opportunity to imagine their futures.

On a trip through time inside the Spaceship Earth attraction, guests discover how each generation of mankind has invented the future for the next generation, and how the spirit of innovation has moved people from the caves to the cosmos.

Enhancements to the time-travel attraction will encompass changes to each of the ride scenes. New show scenes will be added to the attraction's story along with new lighting effects, costumes, set decoration, narration and musical score.

This adventure through time leads ultimately to the very top of Spaceship Earth's geodesic dome, where guests arrive at the present. The time travel adventure will be enhanced through new, interactive touch screens installed aboard each "time machine" that will enable guests to create their own visions of the future and see themselves in that future.

As guests disembark the time travel experience, they are invited to visit "Project Tomorrow: Inventing the World of Tomorrow," where interactive exhibits bring to life the ideas and technologies Siemens is developing to help make the world a better place for the future.

The space is filled with fun, interactive games and displays that showcase innovative technologies. Here guests step into the world of tomorrow and glimpse the future of medicine, transportation and responsible energy management across the globe.

Opening to Epcot guests later this month, the first completed phases of Project Tomorrow will include:

An illuminated globe measuring 20 feet in diameter that will offer an ever-changing collage of inspirational images that invite guests to imagine the wonders of tomorrow.

Body Builder, a 3-D game that enables users to assemble a digital human body, simulating the Siemens technology developed to perform remote surgeries.

Super Driver, a driving simulation video game that showcases motor vehicle accident and avoidance systems developed by Siemens.

With phased renovations occurring through the year, Spaceship Earth's makeover is scheduled to be fully completed in early 2008.

Last edited by crazy4wdw; 04-27-2007 at 08:53 AM.
crazy4wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #14
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

I just read about this on another site too. I'm so disappointed. I realize that rides need updating and refurbs, and I am excited to see what they will do for SSE. However, there are so few rides in Epcot that little ones can go on so I'm a little sad for my 2 year old. I know she would have enjoyed it. SSE was also a favorite of my 4 yr old last year.

We'll still have a great trip, but SSE will be missed!
bartleby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #15
WI_DisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info. I'm with bartleby1 - SSE is one of my favorite rides in all of WDW, and it looks like I'll be missing it this September. But what are you going to do? You won't see any "Haunted Mansion" type outcry from me. I know they aren't scheduling this to mess with me, so I'll just enjoy the rest of my trip and look forward to seeing the changes the next time I'm there.

I saw a lion he was standing alone
With a tadpole in a jar
WI_DisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: