Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
karynnix
Cleaning the house while the kids are still growing is like shoveling the snow before it stops snowing!
To me, PREGGERS is more annoying!!

Location: dragged kicking and screaming from sunny S.C. to Iowa and then to Wisconsin

I am doing a project on teaching children with Asperger Syndrome

What are some books that you have used to teach your AS child reading, writing, math, counting money, tellnig time, understanding concepts, etc?

I am looking for specific children's books (picture books) that helped you teach your Aspie. For example, my son LOVES Blue's Clues, so I found some books where Steve and Blue learned about counting (The Button Book) and changes ("Lights On, Lights Off"). What helped you??
Old 04-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
Earstou
The Tag Fairy sends you pixie dust to help you feel better, but we don't do AP rates!

Not exactly what you asked, but I used the Bernestain Bear books for everyday lessons. They have books about visiting the dentist, going to school, moving day and so on.
That's the only books I can think of right now!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

My 11 1/2 year old son has Asperger's Syndrome. As I recall, he didn't require any special books to learn his basic skills. He has always soaked up information like a spounge! Currently, he loves looking up things on Wikipedia. If he asks me a question like, "Who invented socks?" (yes, he really wanted to know), I tell him to look it up and he does.

He's always loved getting books from the library but he tends to focus on non-fiction (space books, train books, baseball books, etc.). He recently discovered the Chet Gecko mystery series and is enjoying reading those. And, despite his age, he still likes Thomas the Tank Engine. He has a big book called The Complete Thomas Collection that he still enjoys reading.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
Starr W.
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
My 11 1/2 year old son has Asperger's Syndrome. As I recall, he didn't require any special books to learn his basic skills. He has always soaked up information like a spounge! Currently, he loves looking up things on Wikipedia. If he asks me a question like, "Who invented socks?" (yes, he really wanted to know), I tell him to look it up and he does.

He's always loved getting books from the library but he tends to focus on non-fiction (space books, train books, baseball books, etc.). He recently discovered the Chet Gecko mystery series and is enjoying reading those. And, despite his age, he still likes Thomas the Tank Engine. He has a big book called The Complete Thomas Collection that he still enjoys reading.

My 10 yr old Aspie boy sounds exactly the same, he loves Wikpedia and will ask the same type of questions. We direct him to the computer also. He loves those non-fiction books. He just finished Jr Great Books and they read Alice in Wonderland. Loved it so much I checkout Through the Looking Glass for him.

Back to the OP, no we didn't use any special books to teach him skills, he got some extra help in reading & language arts with the special ed teacher, but got caught up and does that in regular class now. His teacher will occasionally send him down to work up LA homework if she thinks he is not grasping something well enough.
Starr W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
shoegirl1020
Mouseketeer

I've only used them once, but will be purchasing the package soon, it's called Sandbox learning.com and it's wonderful. You can personalize the stories. Right now we are learning about waiting and so the story is "My name is Joseph, I live in ....." Then it goes on to "Sometimes I want chicken nugets or to play game cube...". It's been great. I printed it out in color and it's about 14 pages long. They have all sorts of themes you can pick. Next we are doing bathroom hygiene.
1998 POFQ
2004 CBR
2006 POP
shoegirl1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
mycutiepatooties
DIS Veteran

Social Stories by Carol Gray. Also have used Frog and Toad series of books to teach about friendships/social issues.
mycutiepatooties is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: