Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think that pin trading takes away too much time from touring?
Yes, I'd rather spend time at the rides 2 11.76%
No, it is so worth it! 6 35.29%
Maybe, I haven't tried it 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
buffy0214
DIS Veteran

Smile Where have you people been? NEW! We're on a PODCAST + MNSSHP 05/20

Check us out on Mike's "Be Our Guest Podcast" http://beourguestpodcast.podbean.com...hotopass-tips/

For any newbies to my thread, you haven't missed much. My trip report begins on page 15 and the newest installment is on page 20.

Our Dates
Sun Oct 7-Fri Oct 12
MNSSHP Oct 11
Old Key West Resort

Trip report begins on page 15

Okay, I am a disney planning geek. I love planning our familys next vacation. While scouring the DVC boards numerous times, I finally found my way to this forum. Where have you people been? I've now been only almost daily and found vast sources of exciting never-before-known tips! While I've always had my Disney Bible (Unofficial Guide), I went out and got a passporter and joined TGM. I've become a member of Team Focker Watch and put a down-payment on the next issue of lanyards (insert lime-green smilie here).
I will be posting pics along the way.

Who we are: Hubby and I grew up in Florida and spent many years visiting the mouse. Since moving from our beloved Satellite Beach the thing we've missed the most is our trips to Disney. Beach smeach we want Space Mountain.

Me: Buffy, my mom's nickname for me. I'm a stay at home Mom of 3. Scrapbooking (still working on my 2002 Disney book) and planning Dis Trips take up most of my spare time.
DH: Rommel, DH's ID on most sites, very detail oriented, loves war games. If it's not obvious already, he's a computer programmer. A very patient man who *says* he never tires of my endless Disney talk.
DD9: Ranger, because of her love of the action heros. A very sweet girl who loves people and hates to see anyone hurt. She has always been a Power Ranger fan more that a princess type.
DD6: Flower, because she always picks them. The know-it-all. There isn't anything she doesn't know or doesn't have an answer for. Very sweet and all-girl. Her favs are Ariel and Cindy.
DS3: He-ya kid, a nickname given to him from a playmate. A momma's boy who shares his big-sis's affinity for Rangers. Last trip he was frightened by almost everything, including the Pooh ride. How can a kid that watches those horrible villians on Power Rangers be afraid of Pooh?

The planning for our current trip begins in Jan....

Me: I've been wanting to go to Disney again. (Keep in mind it's been since Dec 05-can't believe we didn't go last year)
DH:Yeah me, too.
Me:Ya know they have that new Pirate and Princess party. It looks pretty cool. Maybe we could head down just for a long weekend.
DH: Well check it out (don't ya love him?)
Me: The kids have a week off in February. That would be a good time plus it is our 15 year anniversary. We've still got tickets left for everyone but Cal. He's three now so he's gonna cost us.
DH: I don't want to spend so much just after Christmas.
Me: No prob, I'll check the value resorts, ya know that they have family suites now?

I then spend countless time researching/changing dates/switching dates. I found that a short three-night trip to the ASMu fam suite + 10 day no expiration pass for DS3 + Party tickets ended up being as much a longer trip.

Was there a possibility that I could convince hubby?

Will we be on our way soon?

Dum da da dum...

Well, as you probably guessed, it is April, and this is a PRE-plannng trip report.

stay tuned for more.............

The Pre-trip Contents:
  • Page 1, Trip Planning and ADRS
  • Page 2, New camera purchase
  • Page 3, New ADRS
  • Page 4, Sewing costumes & Autrograph holders
  • Page 5, Pictures of family outfits
  • Page 6, Tickets arrive
  • Page 7, Pictures of family outfits & Budget
  • Page 8, Things to Do
  • Page 9, & 10 Previous WDW trips plus scrapbook pages
  • Page 11 More scrapbook pages and Countdown Calendar
  • Page 12 Previous WDW trips
  • Page 13 Car magnets & reconstructed tees plus COSTUMES
  • Page 14 Itinerary & getting ready to leave

• Page 15 Trip Report---Checking In
  • Page 16 Trip Report---Magic Kingdom
  • Page 17 Trip Report---EPCOT and Garden Grill
  • Page 18 Trip Report---Downtown Disney Marketplace
  • Page 18 Trip Report---Magic Kingdom Fantasyland

Last edited by buffy0214; 05-20-2008 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Edited to add names.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

woohoo, I'm finally first somewhere! Little things make me happy!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
buffy0214
DIS Veteran

Hey thanks, Winkers, I'm glad someone is listening even if only to be first
Old 04-09-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
buffy0214
DIS Veteran

Pictures of us

Okay, I am now going to add some pictures of our last trip to the World. It was taken in Dec 2005. It was our first stay at a Vacation Club resort (rented) following a disasterous off-site stay earlier in Feb of the same year. We loved Old Key West. We were able to stay in a studio because the He-ya kid was still under 3 at the time.

Here we are at MGM during the Car Stunt Show. You can see the baby is tired (please don't mention the paci. I know, I know.) and Flower, on the right, was into her "I don't want to have my picture taken" stage. This thrilled me to no end because we had the Princess Lunch in Norway and she didn't take one picture with any confused: I will post it, however, because it is the only picture where I'm included. Next time, I will take more pics with me.

Next up, Rommel and the he-ya kid meeting the white ranger. A very exciting moment.

The character lunch at Norway. I told you Flower was not going to have any pictures taken. Ranger was a trooper and took a picture with each one. This is Ariel (in waiting).

He-ya kid and Flower at the Old Key West swimming pool. It was a little cold for me, but they loved it.

Rommel's dad was able to drive in from Satellite Beach to join him and the girls at the Contemporary for Mickey's Character Dinner. The he-ya kid and I stayed at the hotel and rested.

Last edited by buffy0214; 04-09-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
buffy0214
DIS Veteran

Trip Planning, phase 2

Okay, after much debate we decided we would wait until October and have a longer trip. Plus, there is MNSSHP and we have never been. On the minus side, it's not until October. That's were ya'll come in. I can come on the disboards and chat with all the other crazy disney people.

Here is my scribble page that shows some of my thought process in picking a hotel. This is only one of about 10 pages.

I chose two arrival dates and debated taking the kids out of school a couple of days early to save $. Assuming that they have the same holidays as last year We narrowed it down and decided on the FW Cabins. I'm not much of a camper but we thought we would be happier having a roomier room. We would rent golf carts because we heard that they came in handy, so add another $45 per rental day. I'm happy, DH is happy, the kids think it is cool. I make the reservations. And then...

I get an email from my sister asking when we were going to Disney this year. She knows we go all the time, obviously. She decides she wants her family to go with us. No problem. It could be cool. "Just so you know, however, you will have to keep up with my pace." She and her hubby are notorious wishy washy people who can never make up their minds. I say this with all love

Next, my parents say that if we get a room that is big enough for them, they would like to go also. Now, it would be nice for the kids to have a trip with their grandparents. But, the cabins only sleep five.

Finally, the school schedule comes in. The dates are different This means we would have to take the kids out of school for 3 days. That is just too much, I think. They already have an entire week off during Columbus Day week.

Alright, I think I've got it together now. We will switch the dates a few days and cancel our FW cabins. We wanted to try a different resort, but we will head back to OKW. Why, you ask? We can get a 2 bedroom for a reasonable price that will fit my family plus my parents. I will miss the maid service, but I think it is the best solution. My sister is on her own. I have a feeling that she will cancel anyway as she has the last two times. I say this with love Did I mention, she is the oldest in the family and I am the youngest. I thought the older ones were type A.

To bring us up to date, we have a reservation for a 2 bedroom at OKW for Oct 7-12. Now we're cooking. Not really, as I plan to eat our meals at the parks. Is there no "corny" smilie?

Last edited by buffy0214; 04-25-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
jcc0621
DIS Veteran

Great start.

SAVING TO GO TO DISNEYLAND
Old 04-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
buffy0214
DIS Veteran

Choosing Parks

Now that we have the dates figured out, we will have to decide on which parks to go into on which dates. This is essential in securing proper ADR. I check out unoffical guide website where I am alreay a member. I notice the big banner ad at the top of disboards and all the mentions of TGM. I join TGM (tour guide mike for the newbies). I already have an unoffical guide book so I buy Passporter and pre-order the final Harry Potter at the same time. I'm on a roll.

I begin cross-referencing all the guide books, chatting online and come up with the following senario:

Sun 10/7-Drive down and arrive OKW. Go to Magic Kingdom or MGM.
Mon 10/8-Epoct. This is Columbus day and I think it may be our best park choice even though it is the F&W festival.
Tues 10/9-MK
Wed 10/10-AK Gotta check out the EE
Thurs 10/11-Sleep In
Girls go to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
MNSSHP
Fri 10/12-Home

-or-
Sun MK
Mon EPCOT
Tues Sleep In
BBBoutique
MNSSHP
Wed MK
Th AK
Fri Home

We vote on the first one, which is good because the dates of the MNSSHP switch from Tues to Mon. At least, I think. I'm off to check out TGM again...

Last edited by buffy0214; 04-20-2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
buffy0214
DIS Veteran

181 days away

Can you tell the kids went back to school this am I have so much more time to post...

Today is the all-important 181 days before your vacation day. Tomorrow moring I will be on the phone making ADRs. Here are my thoughts:

Sun-Dinner Cindys. Just love the castle even w/out Cindy. Plus please recall Flower's response the last time we had a princess meal. I don't want to stress out over getting a character meal at the castle to find that I am the only one enjoying it Then we can tour ToonTown and Tomorrowland.

Mon-Garden Grill or that one at the living seas. I think the fish will keep the kids occupied and I've never been there but DH wants to go back to GG. GG it is. Gotta keep DH happy Yes, I felt it was a three banana moment.

Tues-Since my Dsis will be there I am not planning any ADR. Plus, I love Pecos Bill I heard they took the hot cheese away, though.

Wed-Breakfast with Donald at the Breakfastosaurus? Well, I like the breakfast buffets and it would be a way to get into AK soon. I'l make ADR and decide later. Sis will be here on this day also, but I don't think she will get to the park at 8am. Will have to meet up with her later.

Thurs-Crystal Palace for early dinner. Flower requested Pooh characters since "we haven't done that one in a long time". It was Feb '04, which seems like a long time to me, also. Plus who can resist ...

go straight from early, like 4:30 dinner, to MNSSHP. Stay up late, watch the fireworks

Fri-Grandpa agrees to drive us home while we snooze in the car.

Last edited by buffy0214; 08-13-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet

Great Pictures! Are you doing the ddp? You are very brave to bring family with you!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
buffy0214
DIS Veteran

No DDP this time. Hubby really wants to get this but everyone in the room would have to be on it and the grandparents plan to eat in the resort room. I'm not even sure I can get my dad into the parks.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #11
buffy0214
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc0621 View Post
Great start.

Thanks! It's my first trip report of any kind. I figured if nobody reads it, at least I will have it all written down for my scrapbook
Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
buffy0214
DIS Veteran

Dining Plans

Prepare yourself for the following report. It is a picture of me at 7am making ADRs.

Everybody ready?

Okay, just so you understand, this is EARLY for me

Notice it is a little smaller than the others. I may be brave, but not that much.

This is the exact moment that I got through! I can't complain too much about the early morning compared to the west coasters. I told the reservationist I wanted Cindy's for 10/7. He said, "You want the breakfast, correct". Wait, now I'm confused Breakfast? What's breakfast? Oh, man, I am sweating. Yes, I want the breakfast. I wish I could do the breakfast. I want to do the breakfast. I can't do the breakfast, we won't arrive until later that afternoon. *sigh* I secure dinner at 5:35. Now I'm wondering if we will be able to make it into the Kingdom in time. If we check in at 4 we will have to high-tail it to the castle.

Here's how the rest went:

Sun 10/7 Cindy's 5:35
Mon 10/8 Garden Grill 4:40
Wed 10/9 Restaurantosaurus 8am
Thurs 10/10 Crystal Palace 4pm

Thrilled with the idea that I might actually be able to secure a Cindy's breakfast later in the week, I begin plotting I call back and get Crystal Palace on Sun for dinner 6:35. If I can get Cindy's breakfast on Thurs, then I will cancel CRT dinner on our arrival day and we will do Crystal Palace. I think I confused myself. Hubby goes to work. I'm sure it's in order to avoid any more senarios.

Oh, yeah, oh, yeah Do the happy dance, do the happy dance

I'm the man. Well, sorta.
(That's from Mulan). As a side note, my friends little one used to go around and say this all the time. She would say it to waitresses, cashiers, etc. You can get away with this when you are 3.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:25 AM   #13
buffy0214
DIS Veteran

I spent the majority of Friday trying to figure out if it was worth getting up at 7am on Sat to try and get breakfast reservations at CRT. After an excel spreadsheet outlining the options, bouncing ideas off of everyone, and some personal introspective, I decided the breakfast was out. I really was the only one who wanted to do it and we can always do it at another date. Right? *sigh* It seemed silly to go into the MK that morning just for breakfast. This was supposed to be our easy-then-go-to-MNSSHP day.

I gave my girls three options and told them to pick two. I figure DS3 doesn't really have an opinion on the princesses yet.

1-Hair done at BBB
2-Breakfast at castle with princesses
3-Meal with Winnie the Pooh

They picked 1&3. So I get to sleep in Sat then I called and made BBB reservations. I also got Prime Time on Monday just in case we decide on MGM over EPCOT. My mom has always wanted to do the 50s cafe, though she swears it is in MK at the end of Main Street on the left. I dunno, MGM is the only one I know about. I would prefer MGM but it has EMH and will probably be crowded.

I still have reservations for our arrival day at CRT. Reservations about my reservations that is. Uggg, I know.

My concerns are:
What if we don't make it in time for some reason or another?
Will the kids be too squirmy after driving for 6 hours to enjoy the evening?

Oh, I found out that Cinderella IS there for dinner, but only downstairs to take pics. A picture package is included with dinner as well. That's what I wanted. I'm a sucker for the pictures. The fairy godmother will be on had for celebrations but will not be doing a meet-and-greet.

Some pics of our last visit to the castle, Feb 2002.

The famous Cinderella coach butter

Cinderella with my DD and her cousin. We didn't think we would see her that day as we weren't having the "character meal"

My youngest DD enjoying the Mickey-head shapped straw.

While telling my mom the exciting plans, she said, "What are you going to do when this trip is over?" What a silly question. Obviously, I will be planning for the next one. Sheesh.

Last edited by buffy0214; 06-15-2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: because it was punny
Old 04-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #14
winkers

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who is constantly re-arranging adr's!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #15
Jillnkids
Mouseketeer

Hey Buffy, my family will be there the same week as you! We're staying until the 13th though. I've made ADRs but am still debating some changes. It will be me, DH, DS12 & DD9. We're staying at the WL with bunkbeds. I can't figure out how much time we'll need for AK. We skipped it last time (our 1st trip). What do you think? On our last visit, I chose the park based on EMH (which were only in the mornings) and we did miss most of the night time events.

I booked BBB for our last morning for my DD. We have an ADR for 1900 Park Fare that evening. I thought it would be a nice way to end our trip.

Here are my ADRs so far:

10/7 Chef Mickey 5:30pm
10/8 Sci-Fi Dine In 12:30pm
10/9 San Angel Inn 12:30pm
10/10 Ohana Breakfast 7:30am
10/11 Crystal Palace 11:50pm
10/13 1900 Park Fare 5:30

I'm considering changing the ressies in green. I always 2nd guess every decision. I can't wait to hear more of your planning process!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: