Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
of the seas
Of the ccccccccc
They have the best brownies
I'm trying to get people's opinion

Does anyone think it's tacky to have a garage sale on Good Friday?

We had a garage sale last year the Saturday before Easter and it was extremely successful. I recently got a new job in which I HAVE to work every Saturday. We were thinking about have our gargage sale on Good Friday. Does anyone think it would be in poor taste? My parents think it would be because they are old school Catholics. They say it should be a day of mourning, not shopping. What do you all think?

Thanks!
of the seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
ptrbryant
DIS Veteran

Probably not what you want to hear, but, yes.

I really would think it was in bad taste to hold a garage sale on Good Friday. It's really hard to gauge where the general population is with the issue, though, so I understand you posting the question. I'm amazed to know the number of people who don't know what Good Friday means/don't care even if they do know. I would choose another day...maybe the next Friday?

Karla B.
May 2005:Saratoga Springs Resort/Port Orleans Riverside
May 2006: AllStar Movies (Love Bug)/Villas at Wilderness Lodge
May 2007: Villas at Wilderness Lodge/Pop Century
December 2008: Wilderness Lodge
September 2009: Port Orleans Riverside

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/vyauc5sff5g051ip.png[/img]
ptrbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
RichNKatHolly
DIS Veteran

My opinion is not that it is in bad taste, but that you may not have alot of customers. Some people don't have that day off - I don't for one. I think weekends are the times that people look to garage sale, but I could be wrong.

Best of luck whenever you hold it!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
disnutt
I don't know how you can make opening an oyster much more exciting
My poor DH was given the hairy eyeball

Based on your previous experience there are enough people who don't think it is a bad shopping day.

I'm Christian and probably wouldn't have thought twice about it until you posted. I just wouldn't hold one then because the weather in our area is too iffy this time of year.

How do you live the rest of the year? If you are a very observant Christian then yes it might not be the best day to host a garage sale. However, if you're more casual about it then why change for this day? If you're going to be free to set up the sale you're probably not hanging out in church that day anyway.
'Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.' - Theodore Roosevelt
disnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
SusanToo
Budget Minded

Garage sale shoppers are a pretty die-hard lot! You would probably still have a successful sale.
SusanToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I don't think that most people get off this day. I don't think poor taste- I would think maybe less profitable. What about a Sunday?
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
HayGan
We could all use some pixie dust now and then :)
Papa Smurf Oh Papa Smurf!

Location: Steeler Country - PA!!!! Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!

I do not think that it is in poor taste. Plenty of retailers are open on Good Friday. Plus not everyone in this world is Christian and recognizes Good Friday. Heck, I'm Christian and would stop at a good looking garage sale on Good Friday
Next up:
Girls Only B-Day trip for F&WF - Oct. 2013, Turkey Day & 1st cruise! Nov/Dec. 2013
, Key West & BCV for the first time!!! May 2014
HayGan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:01 PM   #8
MEM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayGan View Post
I do not think that it is in poor taste. Plenty of retailers are open on Good Friday. Plus not everyone in this world is Christian and recognizes Good Friday. Heck, I'm Christian and would stop at a good looking garage sale on Good Friday
Ditto!
Old 03-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
cats mom
Mouseketeer

Has a wild and vivid imagination

Schools around here are out for Good Friday so I would assume even if it's not an official work holiday plenty of folks probably take a personal day. You might not get as much traffic as you would on a weekend - but I don't think it's a bad idea.
cats mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
kellia
DIS Veteran

It depends on the area. Most people around here work in the auto industry which have that day off, plus schools, so I think you'd get plenty of traffic. As a Christian, I have no problem with it!
kellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
bnorm27
DIS Veteran

Just don't sell any meat!!
bnorm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:03 PM   #12
storzo
DIS Veteran

I don't think it would be in bad taste. Not everyone observes Good Friday and as other posters have sad all retail is open on that day...some are even open on Easter. I don't know your area, but where I live in nothern New Jersey Fridays are great days for garage sales whether its a holiday or not, sometimes even better than Saturday or Sunday.
storzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:08 PM   #13
JerJan
I need the sunshine to SURVIVE!
I've never seen a while SCUBA diving yet......maybe someday!

UMMMM, NO! Not everyone is a christian and of those that are how many of them really observe it's tradition?

Port Orleans french Quarter 12/2009 Saratoga Springs "HOME" 7/2009 PopCentury 7/2009 Vero Beach 10/2008 Vero Beach 8/2008 Saratoga Springs "HOME" 8/2008 Saratoga Springs "HOME" 8/2007 Saratoga Springs "HOME" 7/2006 Old Key West 2/2006 Boardwalk Villas 12/2005 Saratoga Springs "HOME" 12/2005 Vero Beach 7/2005 Disney Wonder 1/2005Saratoga Springs "HOME" 1/2005 Caribbean Beach 2/2004 Coronado Springs 10/2003 Country Inn Suites - Int'l Drive - Honeymoon 2/1996 1974 - 1996 lived in Orlando & Ft Lauderdale - went so many times I lost count!

My Beloved Husband R.I.P.
**I miss you baby** 3/7/59 - 7/12/08
JerJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
kellia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorm27 View Post
Just don't sell any meat!!
LOL! Around here, people sell pop and hot dogs at their garage sales, maybe you could sell fish!
kellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
eacatwork
Mouseketeer

Have you ever seen those shirts and signs that say something like, "Even Jesus loves Bon Jovi" or "Even Jesus loves beer"? I so badly want to say (and in fact I am) even Jesus loves a bargain. I don't mean any disrespect...it's just that this situation made me think of those shirts and signs I've seen.

Anyhoo, I'm sure if you tithe 10% of your "take" that day, you'll be A-OK. But again, I jest.

I don't see anything wrong with it. And here in PA, garage sales start on THURSDAY...so I think you'll have a good crowd on Friday. Good luck adding to your Disney fund!

WDW October 1980 w/parents offsite
WDW May 1981 w/parents & brother-in-utero offsite (Mom said, "Baby doesn't like these teacups!!!")
WDW May 2001 w/parents & brother @ POR
WDW October 2007 w/DH for 5th Anniversary @ WL
WDW October 2009 w/DH, parents, brother, and SIL @ POR
WDW May 2011 w/best friend @ All-Star Sports
WDW Spring 2015 w/parents, brother, SIL, and niece @TBD
DH Chris (40) Me (37) DDog Oscar (12)
eacatwork is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: