Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #76
F4disneyfan
It all depended on my mood in the morning
I was a headbanger at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgropp View Post
Hello All, I am negotiating for some points through the timeshare store and and have a few nagging thoughts. #1 Do you have to file an income tax report on owning property in the USA on your canadian income tax report? #2 How important is Your use month. I always go around 20-26 of Dec every year. How hard will it be to get and what is the best way to do it? Thank You
We have owned since 01 and our accountant told us we did not have to file the timeshare (DVC) on our taxes.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #77
DISNEY180
Mouseketeer

Another DVC'er here. We bought July 2006 and have been back once already. Can't wait to use points to go other places too, like Spain and such.

DISNEY180 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #78
F4disneyfan
It all depended on my mood in the morning
I was a headbanger at heart

Just a quick note if anyone is looking for a really really great DVC forum let me know via PM with your e mail address or I can send you my e mail address and give you the link as I can't post it here they won't allow it. This DVC site has everything you could ever want to know about DVC from historical dues costs to contract info and rental contracts etc. It is incredible and it is run extremely well.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #79
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

Bumping this up.

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:19 PM   #80
yxe dad
DIS Veteran

Hey, thanks for finding this CanadianGuy, my search never works????

At last count we were at 44, anybody new lately?
upcoming - May 2014 - 40th B-Day Trip
yxe dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #81
CanadianGuy

Me and My Posse doing our New Kids on the Block moves at PI

DISboards Moderator

I'm going to 'stick' this for now..

Knox

06/1995 - All Star Music | 11/1998 - Wilderness Lodge | 10/1999 - Disneyland
06/2006 - Pop Century | 03/2007 - Pop Century | 06/2007 - Coronado Springs
12/2007 - All Star Sports | 06/2008 - Pop Century | 09/2008 - All Star Sports
06/2010 - Swan | 06/2012 - Dolphin | 01/2013 - All Star Sports

CanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:15 AM   #82
disyady
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! We purchased 60 resale points for Saratoga Springs last summer. I'm taking a trip with my three daughters for 5 nights in an AKV Studio in April and we're extending our August family trip by 2 nights at BWV in a 1 bedroom villa. We haven't regretted our decision for 1 second - it has been a dream come true!

The secret of tomorrow is to live your dreams today
disyady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 AM   #83
calgarygary
Had to comment about the system not allowing your acronym
We'll expect lots of pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEY180 View Post
Another DVC'er here. We bought July 2006 and have been back once already. Can't wait to use points to go other places too, like Spain and such.
First, let me say that I do not own DVC and you may choose to disregard what I have to say because of that but I believe it is relevant. I think that using your DVC to trade into other places may be a terrible use of your points. A better plan may be to rent your points to subsidize vacations elsewhere but I'm not even sure that is a good use of your points. If frequent trading or renting is in your plans, wouldn't owning elsewhere be a better course?
2006 - AKL Concierge - PBH - 30th Anniversary Trip
2007 - Resort Hop - PBH - CBR - WQ
calgarygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:44 AM   #84
lordnamis
Disney Dad

Hello everyone. I bought 210points at OKW in Nov 2007. I couldn't resist anymore.

2006 All-Star Sports 2007 Pop Century
2007 All-Star Movies 2008 Saratoga Springs
2008 Boardwalk Villas 2008 Old Key West
2009 Old Key West 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas
2010 Wilderness Lodge 2010 Boardwalk Villas
2011 Old Key West 2011 Boardwalk Villas
2012 Saratoga Springs 2012 Wilderness Lodge
2012 Old Key West 2013 Saratoga Springs
2013 Animal Kingdom Villas
lordnamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #85
MJGirl
DIS Veteran

Hi ...Add me to the list ... I bought 220 points at AKV last October. I've been once already and am planning a trip in Sept. and Dec of 2008. Also hoping to go in May 2009. I received incentive points from booking on my cruise and am using them to go on the Backstage Magic tour with Adventures by Disney. I would say I am getting my money's worth so far.
I "Dream" of a "Fantasy" full of "Magic" and "Wonder"
MJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:08 PM   #86
dvcdisney
DIS Veteran

Hi. We purchased our first set of points in 2002. We now have 425 pts. We had the case of addonities twice and with the last one last year with AKV. I feel it coming on again.

We love our DVC vacations. We used to go once a year in the beginning and then within 3 years, with our first add on, we decided to go twice a year. We find the airfares quite expensive so when we did our second add on, we added more days to each of our vacations so it will be worth it. I just wished we were able to drive there , so we could buy more points and visit more times

Welcome Home Everybody!
dvcdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #87
drag n' fly
Bucket list alert!!...Rode the Lilly Belle and dined at Club 33 on the same day with Dave Smith!!

Hi there! We own at AKV! We bought at DL so we have founding rights for GCV and anxiously awaiting Hawaii also....addonitis here we come!
drag n' fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #88
dvcdisney
DIS Veteran

With respect to what calgarygary mention, I did hear that DVC is one of the more expensive timeshares and if you wanted to use the points to trade with another timeshare company, it would not be cost effective. If you do plan on doing this often, it would probably cheaper to buy into other timeshares. I was told the same thing. We only use ours for Disney. We love Disney! I know the guides always say that you are not restricted into only Disney vacations, you can use it all over the world and it is very flexible. So, if you are like us, and probably use it for a trade once in a while, it's great.
dvcdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:18 PM   #89
drag n' fly
Bucket list alert!!...Rode the Lilly Belle and dined at Club 33 on the same day with Dave Smith!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygary View Post
First, let me say that I do not own DVC and you may choose to disregard what I have to say because of that but I believe it is relevant. I think that using your DVC to trade into other places may be a terrible use of your points. A better plan may be to rent your points to subsidize vacations elsewhere but I'm not even sure that is a good use of your points. If frequent trading or renting is in your plans, wouldn't owning elsewhere be a better course?

That in there lies the beauty of DVC...the flexibility. Owning DVC you are not stuck visiting the same place year after year.
Renting points is a huge leap of faith. The renter loses complete control of their reservation, the rentee may or may not get paid. You are completely on your own. Lots of people do it however and maintain good relationships with consistent renters. We rented points for a April trip with the intention of buying in Florida. However to take advantage of incentives we decided to purchase in DL. So now dh and I have a sweet little trip planned for April with tons of free time! If you are a frequent trader DVC could be a good choice. One year take the grandkids to WDW next year dh and I can go to the South Pacific. Is their cheaper deals out there for timeshares? Probably however what you get for you dollar is pretty great at DVC!
drag n' fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #90
calgarygary
Had to comment about the system not allowing your acronym
We'll expect lots of pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag n' fly View Post
That in there lies the beauty of DVC...the flexibility. Owning DVC you are not stuck visiting the same place year after year.
Renting points is a huge leap of faith. The renter loses complete control of their reservation, the rentee may or may not get paid. You are completely on your own. Lots of people do it however and maintain good relationships with consistent renters. We rented points for a April trip with the intention of buying in Florida. However to take advantage of incentives we decided to purchase in DL. So now dh and I have a sweet little trip planned for April with tons of free time! If you are a frequent trader DVC could be a good choice. One year take the grandkids to WDW next year dh and I can go to the South Pacific. Is their cheaper deals out there for timeshares? Probably however what you get for you dollar is pretty great at DVC!
If you are considering trading regularly DVC is not a very good purchase. If you are committed to Disney, and want to be onsite than I believe DVC is a great purchase. I don't think that I need to go into the benefits of why DVC is a great choice if you plan to stay onsite, almost everybody here already knows this. However, for those that have not researched, let me explain why DVC is not a good choice if you plan to trade. Many ts are excellent traders at a fraction of the cost of DVC. For example, I am booked into Harborside this coming Labour Day week using a 2 bedroom ts in the Starwood system in what would likely be considered DVC's choice season. A 2 bedroom contract at OKW (as an example) would have annual fees apx. $130 higher than mine. On the resale market, the OKW contract would cost apx. 3 times as much as my timeshare. Bottom line for me, DVC is great for those that plan to stay onsite the great majority of times and a bad choice for those that plan to trade.
2006 - AKL Concierge - PBH - 30th Anniversary Trip
2007 - Resort Hop - PBH - CBR - WQ
calgarygary is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: