Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
Grammyof2
Best Woo Hootier that ever woo hootied
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Location: Heading to midlife wearing my Levi's and flip flops

Smile 25th Anniversary trip taken at 26.5 years-December to Remember-NEW 6/11 - Pg 19

Chapter 1 - Pg 1
Chapter 2 - Pg 1
Chapter 3 - Pg 2
Chapter 4 - Pg 3
Chapter 5 - Pg 4
Chapter 6 - Pg 5
Chapter 7 - Pg 6
Chapter 8 - Pg 6
Chapter 9 - Pg 7
Chapter 10 - Pg 7
Chapter 11 - Pg 9
Chapter 12 - Pg 10
Chapter 13 - Pg 10
Chapter 14 - Pg 12
Chapter 15 - Pg 13
Chapter 16 - Pg 16
Chapter 17 - Pg 17
Chapter 18 - Pg 19

Where do you begin a trip report that was forever in the making? A celebration that continued for almost 2 years. Let’s start at a good point, the beginning.

Back in the day, 1980, two people that where very much in love got married. Against all odds, they remained married through more drama, lots of poorer, lots of worse, and lots of sickness. Intermingled in that was a lifetime of joy and happiness, the union of what was to become Grammyof2 and Grampy.

Now Grampy has always had a way of being wonderful and a little screwy at the same time. So, Christmas 2004, he surprised me with the most obnoxiously huge diamond ring to celebrate our yet to be achieved 25th wedding anniversary. So when May arrived and the REAL anniversary was upon us, I expected nothing. But it was a week long celebration of roses, dinners, more jewelry, a SURPRISE party hosted by our children and a pillow talk promise to take me anywhere I wanted to go. My choice was Disney World for Christmas. So was born the trip that was truly forever in the making.

So the planning began. We decided on the beginning of December 2005. Many plans were made and changed more times than I care to think about. Add to the mix, our very good friends wanted to join us for part of the trip. So truly after about 6 changes of dates, accommodations, adr’s, blah, blah, the trip was set in stone. 7 days at Animal Kingdom Lodge with our friends and 7 days at Beach Club, just the 2 of us. Would December ever arrive? I was so excited I thought I would burst. We hadn’t been to the world in December since 1980 and it was 1 day only and freezing and packed, before I discovered the DIS. But, I needed a fix and in late August took off to the Poly with my Mom, daughter and granddaughter to enjoy free dining for a few days. But that only added to the excitement of going back in December. The count down was on.

I literally started packing in September. A bag was placed in my closet and I started throwing essentials in. You all know that drill. Things you might need. There was a fever pitch of excitement. I think Grampy might have wanted to strangle me but after all these years he knows me pretty well, just go with the flow. November hit and I was a crazy lady. Shopping, decorating, packing, rethinking adr’s, this was going to be a perfect trip. PERFECT, like Mary Poppins, in every way.

November 21 arrives and we are only 10 days out from THE TRIP. 7 AM and we are doing our early morning ritual, me reading the paper, drinking coffee and Grampy sitting at my desk, doing his crossword puzzle. Grampy says something to me that sounds like Vulcan and I turn to see my husband suffering a stroke.

The details of the following months are long, so I will spare you that. But realize at no time did we lose sight of THE TRIP. It was a driving force for both of us. It had to happen and planning ensued again. With tons of changes, more than the 1st time around. Our friends would be joining us. In between we enjoyed a summer at our “estate” at the Jersey shore, traveled to Canada and even spent Grampy’s birthday in WDW with a group of friends I had met on the DIS. But it wasn’t THE TRIP. The practically perfect one, that hadn’t happened.

The trip was finalized, December 9 to the 17th at the Beach Club. Adr’s and daily plans were made, the bag was in the closet, being filled again and I was doing everything I needed to do. Then, as always happens in my life, changes occurred. A lot of “things” were happening and for a time I thought again this trip wasn’t going to happen. For a bazillion reasons. Add to that, there needed to be a change made to the accommodations, one I wasn’t all that happy about. Because I tend to “please” everyone we moved to the only AP rooms available at this late date, All Star Sports.

The practically perfect in everyway trip is about to begin. Not the way I had planned for the last 18 months and with more changes than a newborn babies diaper, but we were actually going. Finally!

Last edited by Grammyof2; 06-11-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

I'm first! I'm first!

And I can't wait for the rest. I love your stories and I know the trip will be full of good ones.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

NicoleMarie

"Better is one day in Your courts than a thousand elsewhere." Psalm 84:10

What I learned from the DIS - Spring Break 2006 (with pics!!)

Are We Turkeys? - Thanksgiving 2006 at WDW

Last edited by nicolemarie; 12-27-2006 at 09:29 AM. Reason: It is time for the siggie to go.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
UtahMama
Wakey, wakey, Eggs and Bakey

Diet Cherry PEPSI Queen
I speak toddler
What in the Sam Hill is going on around here?

Yay! I've been waiting! How exciting!!!!!!

Sorry Grampy had a stroke though! Perfect timing, eh?
He's such a cutie-bug!

Can't wait for more...pick what you need:

Love Ya Grammy!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
kpk89
I know that you know that I kn...well, you get the pic
What is a po-tro-ast?
mumbling and looking at floor

Gram! I am a sap. Sappy McSapperson. And even though I already knew this part of the story, it STILL brings little tears to my eyes to read it.

You and Gramps ROCK and I can't wait to hear the rest of the story.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
Bee
Dreaming is what is making me get up each day!

I cant even imagine... Well I cant wait now to hear the good stuff.

(um.. promise no salt or butter)

On with the show!!

1977 Disneyland offsite 1989 WDW Christmas offsite 2003 Disneyland Grand Calif. 2005 WDW 10-22 to 10-27 AsMO also MNSSHP 2005 2005 DCL Wonder 10-27 to 10-30 ] Hoping to return yearly.Now- hoping to go back SOMEDAY... Wishing you a Magical Day[/COLOR] Divorced mother of 2 beautiful DD One 17 one 15 Wilma, forgotten suitcases and cruising Oct 2005
[quit smoking- yay me]
Old 12-27-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Grammy, can't wait to read all about it. This is soo exciting!!!

Just for you:
Old 12-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
pongoperdigirl
Who wants to go on a pillage
I must go bathe in clorox now!
"Check out my Chachi"
Someone hand me some rocks, I have to crack open my dinner on my belly

Grammy I can't wait to hear more
Old 12-27-2006, 08:10 PM   #8
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Grammy even though I knew why you didn't get to go the first time it still tugs at the heart to hear about Gramps stroke.

Can't wait to hear about this special trip.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #9
AshClan
I forgot to say SNAP!
We'll coordinate our Woo Hooties!
Yes, he is a mutant. But a cute one

Awww Sweetie,

I am so happy you are writing this! I love your stories and your writing. This is sure to be a classic!

You and Grampy are just the MOST ut, and I am psyched to hear about all the fun and excitement (!) you two had on your very special trip. You both deserve bucketfuls of magic!!! Can't wait to see more pics, too!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:59 PM   #10
Frickles
Missed the wooo hoooty for a phone call
I say keep the squirrel and dress him up and use him as an accessory

I'm buckled in and ready for the ride! This is going to be a good one, I just know!!! You are a wonderful and sweet person, with an amazing charm about you! I am so glad you are writing this!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:04 PM   #11
Minnie_Moo
Moos-keteer
We decided to do it up right at the World
We can make OUR OWN RULES for the week!

Go, Grammy! Go, Grammy!

Can't wait to read the next installment!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #12
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

I didnt know alot of the specifics surrounding this one.......but you had me remembering our own disappointment too......we didnt go last year because pops gun exploded and we almost lost him......

I love your detail to this wonderful vacation......thanks for taking the time....

Old 12-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #13
Grammyof2
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Thanks everyone for signing on for the ride

I hope not to disappoint. Now where are the other 100 or so people that viewed??? Or was that just me trying to get the view count up

Chapter 2 up in a few!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #14
Grammyof2
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Chapter 2 - Who's Who

Before we embark, I should introduce our starring cast of characters. Characters in the true sense of the word.

1st we have me –Cheryl or Grammyof2 to my closest 100,000 internet friends. I am shy, quiet, demure and otherwise nondescript. NOT! I am outgoing and happy 99.9% of the time. Easygoing. Total trip planner. Over think every situation and have at least 3 back up plans always in my pocket. Am a SAHGW –that is a stay at home Grammy/wife. I have been lots of things in past lives, including a teacher and entrepreneur, or as my BF called it, a pile of manure. I may have also been the Queen of England, but that is saved for another time. I am young, by my standards, 48, and have a lot of living yet to do. Mount Everest might be calling my name, or not, I may just be hearing things.

Next up – Grampy, 59, full of something, not exactly sure what. Talks and or sings through every waking moment. Cracks me up on a daily basis. Retired. Bigger than life. Allows me to make all the decisions. NO PRESSURE THERE. Has a shirt that says “the man, the myth, and the legend”. Believes every word of it. Loves me so in turn loves Disney. Is the proud owner of an AP and a Mickey Mouse wallet to carry it in. Is extremely fond of Hawaiian shirts (unbuttoned) and Mickey Mouse ice cream bars.

Our traveling companions and good friends, Jkay& R. We have traveled to many destinations with them, most recently to Canada this past summer. Jkay is one of my closest friends and wants to see it all. She just turned 59, a week before the trip. Has a terrible habit of carrying her cell phone and never turning it on. Drives me crazy. Wanted this trip almost as much as me and had spent a total of 2 days in WDW back in the early 80’s prior to this excursion. Had a list in her purse of things she wanted to see that she has carried with her since September 2005. Was totally confident that I could deliver the see it all in the allotted time. Tends to have a huge cheesy smile when she is happy, which you will get to see plenty of. Also is very naive and a little ditzy, which is why I love her so much. Totally into this trip.

This brings me to R, Jkay’s hubby. Great friend to Grampy. Total opposite of all of us. Dry sense of humor, doesn’t enjoy kids, or amusement parks or birthday parties. Said we twisted his arm to go on this trip. I don’t remember it that way. Maybe Jkay twisted it. I know that she wanted to go with us and only with us. Grampy gets R to do things Jkay can’t like shop and go to WDW, which is full of kids. Was along for the ride and was threatened with a firing squad if he complained during the trip. A total type A, 58, and a neat freak. He hates my house and my “stuff”. But, we are great friends and really enjoy traveling with them. Always have a fantastic time and wonderful memories. Couldn’t really ask for a better couple to travel with.

So enough already, let’s leave. But 1st the day before. Jkay and R are packed, Grampy is packed, and I am almost packed. The phone rings. It is the limo company asking where I am. Well, duh, in NJ, where did they think I was? Somehow, I have no idea how, they have me arriving a day early and on a different flight. WTH did they get that info???? And they are jammed on Saturday so they can’t pick me up. OMG, the practically perfect trip is not starting out so well. Run to the DIS, search for limo success stories and make a call. The debonair, Romeo from Legacy Towncar would love to pick us up. I silently pray he does.

Packing is finished, everything on the list(about 10 pages) is crossed off, suitcases are in the trunk, plan of attack for the morning is secure and we hit the sheets, hoping to dream of hidden Mickey’s and Rice Krispie treats. But, and this is a big but, Grampy is too excited to sleep. He shares that info about 478 times before he finally falls asleep, at around 2 AM. So much for leaving the kids at home.

Next up – We are out of here and will Grampy remember he has a wife???

Last edited by Grammyof2; 12-29-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:59 AM   #15
UtahMama
Wakey, wakey, Eggs and Bakey

Diet Cherry PEPSI Queen
I speak toddler
What in the Sam Hill is going on around here?

Yay! Very nice to meet you guys! I'm NOT shy and demure either, so we'll get along fine. I can totally picture Grampy singing all day! Does he flirt with waitresses? I picture him being a flirt!

My DD2 says "GRAMMY!" when I am "reading you", which is probably a sign I need to limit my DIS time a wee bit more.

He better not forget you! That would put a cramp in the Anniversary part of the trip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: