Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
taraprather
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 687

OT- How do I get dog urine smell out of my house

I babysat my brothers dog all last month, and he's not completly house trained yet. The dog has now went back to my brothers but my house smells like dog urine (DISGUSTING!!!). Does anyone have any budget ways to get that smell out of my house?
Thanks
taraprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
ameraumi
DIS Veteran
 
ameraumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,051

Budget: Vinegar & water

I have a bottle of Odoban that I bought at Sam's Club and it takes out any nasty smell! We had a potty training accident on my new couch and it took the urine smell out as well as disinfected it. DD vomited the other night on the hallway carpet and took the smell right out. I love this stuff!
__________________
Amy DS (18) DD (10) DD(7 mos)

April 2006 ~ CSR (our 1st WDW trip!)
June 5-14 '08 ~ WL
Another trip to come sometime...
ameraumi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
gonemousin'
Mouse-a-holic
 
gonemousin''s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 1,228

If the smell is embedded in carpeting and you've already scrubbed the area with a cleaner, try throwing down some baking soda (super cheap!), let it sit for an hour or two and then vacuum it up.
__________________
6/80 Offsite, 7/90 Poly, 8/95 Offsite, 5/05 ASMo, 12/05 Grand Floridian, 8/06 Pop Century, 9/07 Pop Century, 8/09 Disney Magic & Contemporary, 5/11 Disney Wonder Alaska, 8/12 Beach Club, 8/14 Beach Club
gonemousin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
summerrluvv
Work Hard. Have Fun.
Haven't candled my ears in a while!
 
summerrluvv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 8,949

My son peed on our carpet years ago. The smell has never came out. I tried vinegar (the house smelled like a salad for a week). I tried all those enzyme cleaners that say they get rid of the smell. I had it professionally cleaned, tried baking soda, etc. nothing worked. This was berber carpet BTW. If the smell doesn't go away, you most likely need to replace the padding and the carpet and scrub the subfloor underneath prior to putting new carpeting down. The smell gets worse when it's humid out too!
__________________
summerrluvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
Piecey
I find myself fighting with my pants
I don't have a mouse
I'm an easy-peasy kinda girl
 
Piecey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,407

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerrluvv View Post
My son peed on our carpet years ago. The smell has never came out. I tried vinegar (the house smelled like a salad for a week). I tried all those enzyme cleaners that say they get rid of the smell. I had it professionally cleaned, tried baking soda, etc. nothing worked. This was berber carpet BTW. If the smell doesn't go away, you most likely need to replace the padding and the carpet and scrub the subfloor underneath prior to putting new carpeting down. The smell gets worse when it's humid out too!
That is our problem, too!

Rink (puppy in my siggy) isn't completely housebroken yet and while he's good about using his puppy pad he sometimes gets his front paws on while his rear is hanging out on the carpet--- and he just lets go and pees everywhere!

We put down baking sode, pour vinegar on top-- and it bubbles up and then we scrub it up with hot water. So far, that has worked the best-- but when it gets humid you can still smell it.
Piecey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
DawnCt1
I had to wonder what "holiday" he thought we would be celebrating with a tree?Answer: Arbor Day
Personally I have always wanted to be a super hero
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 30,113

Perhaps not budget but effective. Buy a gallon of Simple Solution at PetCo, etc and follow the directions. It has always worked for us and doesn't leave your house smelling like a salad.
DawnCt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
chewbacca
Mouseketeer
 
chewbacca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 392

I have used Nature's Miracle. I did have to use alot of it but the dog urine smell did eventually come out.
chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Disnefan
Earning My Ears
 
Disnefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: spam removed
Posts: 64

not specific on odors, but how to clean it:

http://www.catalogs.com/info/pets/ho...dog-uring.html
__________________
Off to DisneyLand 6/10
Disnefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.
 
photo_chick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: in the middle of Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 4,921

I have 4 cats. I have had to deal with this problem! For me the long term solution was to rip up the carpet and put down laminate flooring in most of my house.

The best solution for just one or two areas...Pull the carpet back and replace just that section of the pad. It will not cost that much, you cna usually get remnants of pads pretty cheap. It is also very easy to do. Most carpet pads don't clean well and if the urine gets into the pad than you pretty much just have to get rid of it to really get the smell completely gone.

Urine is hot liquid and penetrates the pad. Cleaners are generally cold liquid and do not get that far down. Steam cleaning does not really extract the cleaner from the pad only from the carpet, so that does not help much either.
__________________
Danielle

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 02:55 PM   #10
HeatherFeather
The apostrophe just completes me
 
HeatherFeather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 1,039

This is exactly what we had to do after we went on vacation and left the teenage neighbor in charge of our dogs. I had already paid someone like $200 to come and professionally remove the stain/odor. The stains were gone, but I could still smell something. We just pulled back the carpet, cut out the pad in offending areas out and cut a piece to fit back in. That took care of the problem, which was good since we had to sell the house two months later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
I have 4 cats. I have had to deal with this problem! For me the long term solution was to rip up the carpet and put down laminate flooring in most of my house.

The best solution for just one or two areas...Pull the carpet back and replace just that section of the pad. It will not cost that much, you cna usually get remnants of pads pretty cheap. It is also very easy to do. Most carpet pads don't clean well and if the urine gets into the pad than you pretty much just have to get rid of it to really get the smell completely gone.

Urine is hot liquid and penetrates the pad. Cleaners are generally cold liquid and do not get that far down. Steam cleaning does not really extract the cleaner from the pad only from the carpet, so that does not help much either.
__________________
Me DH DD (10)



HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #11
kandeebunny
DIS Veteran
 
kandeebunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,660

Febreze makes a pet odor remover, it seems to work pretty well!
__________________

My furbaby Tinkerbell
kandeebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!
 
rcraw45425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbus, GA, South of Atlanta
Posts: 11,121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piecey View Post
That is our problem, too!

Rink (puppy in my siggy) isn't completely housebroken yet and while he's good about using his puppy pad he sometimes gets his front paws on while his rear is hanging out on the carpet--- and he just lets go and pees everywhere!

We put down baking sode, pour vinegar on top-- and it bubbles up and then we scrub it up with hot water. So far, that has worked the best-- but when it gets humid you can still smell it.
Shih-Tzu, right? Our male is that way, but sometimes it is with the other (#2). He'll be so proud, I just rate him on the percentage system, How many hit the mat vs how many hit DHs bathroom rug That's his favorite spot!
__________________
Robin
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14) upcoming BC 3/15


rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:30 PM   #13
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge
 
IDoDis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 5,170

If the urine has already soaked down into the pad, spraying the carpet won't help. You'll need a professional carpet cleaner to get the smell out for good. If you ever dog sit in the future and the dog wets on the carpet, blot with paper towels over and over until the towel comes up dry. Push down with lots of pressure, stand on the paper towel, whatever it takes to keep blotting until it is no longer getting wet. This could take up to 20 minutes of blotting depending on the amount of urine/size of animal. After that, spray the carpet with Nature's Miracle or another similar product (available at pet stores). Blotting up the wet right after the accident is the key though. Our dog had bladder problems as she got older. She's now waiting for us a the Rainbow Bridge, but our carpet has no urine or doggie smells after years of accidents.
__________________
Disney World ~ Offsite, 1972, Disneyland ~ Offsite, 1991 & 1993
Disneyland ~ Paradise Pier Hotel, Oct '02,
Disneyland ~ Disneyland Hotel, Oct '04
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:13 PM   #14
MyZoeJane
DIS Veteran
 
MyZoeJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago burbs
Posts: 1,145

Replacing the carpet is the only thing that will get rid of urine completely. Other things might lessen the smell for awhile... but it'll come back... ESPECIALLY when it's hot and humid. If replacingthecarpet isn't an option, I second the suggestion for Nature's Little Miracle...

Reason number one I will never get another dog.
__________________
Ali
Mom to Zoe age 8 and Ezra age 2


Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes really CAN change your life!
MyZoeJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #15
Piecey
I find myself fighting with my pants
I don't have a mouse
I'm an easy-peasy kinda girl
 
Piecey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,407

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
Shih-Tzu, right? Our male is that way, but sometimes it is with the other (#2). He'll be so proud, I just rate him on the percentage system, How many hit the mat vs how many hit DHs bathroom rug That's his favorite spot!

Yep! He's a Shih-Tzu. I called a trainer who said it sounded like he was giving me a bit of an attitude-- trying to let me know he was boss and he was dominant.
She told me to cage train him (at that time he slept with me ) but not to put his cage in my room. Hard to convince my parents to let me put a crate in the middle of the living room (where the lady suggested) but it really has helped him. He loves that cage and it's a great place to stick him whenever we need him out of the way
Piecey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: