Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
calablovedisney
Mouseketeer

Wow! Prices for late June! Sound usual?

So, I have been looking into booking the Universal portion of our June/July trip. I called my AAA agent and these are the prices she quoted me for late June:
Royal Pacific, prices are BEFORE tax
$329-non weekend night
$354 Friday or Saturday night

Compared to some other rates I have been reading about, this seems to be about double other times of the year. Am I missing something? Is there a way to get a better rate? If anyone has any secrets for better rates, I would love to hear them! thanks.
We were going to stay 2 nights, but maybe we should just do 1. We want to get all the Harry Potter stuff in. Staying one night means, flying in, checking in by hopefully noon, then having that day and only the next. So, we could only take advantage of 1 early entry day, or at least getting there early enough to not wait forever in line. Not to mention, after doing the early entry we would need to get back to the hotel to check out and hold luggage. I prefer the 2 nights since it will be more relaxing and I like the down time when we first arrive in Orlando.

calablovedisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #2
johde
DIS Veteran

For some reason, This summer is significantly more expensive than last summer across tha board. As far as potential ways to save money, the few big ones are Annual Pass Holder Rates, Stay More/Save More, AAA rates, and booking through 3rd party websites with discounts there.

Right now, the APH rates online only go through mid February. So, you'll need to be patient for those. Stay More/Save More is for stays of 4 nights or more during Summer season (3 during value season). Special AAA rates tend to come out seasonally like APH rates and aren't available all the time. Finally, you can use 20% discount code on sides like Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com to book the room.

What you could do is book one night on a site like Orbitz, or Travelocity making sure you can cancel it later. Then if an APH rate comes around cancel and rebook.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calablovedisney View Post
So, I have been looking into booking the Universal portion of our June/July trip. I called my AAA agent and these are the prices she quoted me for late June:
Royal Pacific, prices are BEFORE tax
$329-non weekend night
$354 Friday or Saturday night

Compared to some other rates I have been reading about, this seems to be about double other times of the year. Am I missing something? Is there a way to get a better rate? If anyone has any secrets for better rates, I would love to hear them! thanks.
We were going to stay 2 nights, but maybe we should just do 1. We want to get all the Harry Potter stuff in. Staying one night means, flying in, checking in by hopefully noon, then having that day and only the next. So, we could only take advantage of 1 early entry day, or at least getting there early enough to not wait forever in line. Not to mention, after doing the early entry we would need to get back to the hotel to check out and hold luggage. I prefer the 2 nights since it will be more relaxing and I like the down time when we first arrive in Orlando.
Late June is the beginning of high season at Universal. Traditionally prices are going to be higher at this time. Sounds like Universal is expecting a high demand this year. If they find that demand is not meeting expectations, prices will be lowered.

Personally, I would watch Orbitz and cheaptickets for better deals. They will often have 20% off deals.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

I had to go the cheaptickets route for our mid-June trip for this same reason. I got HRH garden view at $270/night, but I could have gotten RPR for about $210/night.
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
calablovedisney
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your responses. I just checked all those sites, including Lowes site directly and got the same quote as my AAA agent gave me. $329 for Thursday night.
Maybe I should just wait to book it? If I book with Universal, will they apply a discount at a later date the way Disney would? I usually book with Disney and then call to have any special added early with my Dis. Visa. They just adjust the balance.
I will have to think about this 1 night or 2 pretty carefully. I just hate to feel so rushed with staying one night only.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
angryduck71
Mouseketeer

I got a promo code for 25% off at cheaptickets for early June at RPH... $180 a night total (with tax, etc...). I am staying 6 nights though -- with a weekend in there.
angryduck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
angryduck71
Mouseketeer

YOu can get 20% off now with CELEBRATE code...
Old 12-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
angryduck71
Mouseketeer

Are you doing Disney too this trip or other stuff (sounds like it)? I'd so do two nights... you can also get buy two days get third day free tickets now, so I'd do two nights... I think the more nights you do, the cheaper it is per night. Might "pay" to do more nights. I'd start comparison shopping!
Old 12-11-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
calablovedisney
Mouseketeer

Yes, we will go to Disney after Universal. And I will buy my park tickets separately. AAA can book a package, but they cannot book the 2 days get 1 free, which, of course, is another reason to do 2 nights!
I can't do a lot of the rides at Universal so a much shorter time there. I just tried at Cheaptickets with the promo code celebration and got a total of $310.69 with taxes so that is better for sure. Thank you!
I am not sure of the exact date we are flying in yet, Thursday or Friday so I have to wait a week or so to book. Waiting for Southwest to open up their flights for those dates. Should be next week. I hope the promo code still works then.
And I had read some things on here about Cheaptickets charging to add kids. We will be taking 2 kids with us, ages 13/14(she turns 14 while there) & 16.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:22 PM   #10
calablovedisney
Mouseketeer

Just tried again with adding the kids and it goes from $266/night before taxes to $306. Doesn't make sense to charge more for them? It's not like there is free breakfast included or anything like that, or is there?

Old 12-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #11
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Just tried again with adding the kids and it goes from $266/night before taxes to $306. Doesn't make sense to charge more for them? It's not like there is free breakfast included or anything like that, or is there?
Don't put any kids on that are under 18. The hotel doesn't charge for them but for some reason the 3rd party sites do. You can just add them to your reservation once you get there. Just make sure you book the 2 beds.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
angryduck71
Mouseketeer

What damo said. There's a whole bunch of threads about not adding kids (and don't worry about not doing so yet -- there will be no problem about adding them later when you get there to the hotel). Also, about southwest -- try to book the minute those flights come out. I actually did so EARLY in the morning the flights came out (I actually called them to find out the DAY they went on sale). I noticed later in the date the flight prices went up and they've been going up every since...
Old 12-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for your responses. I just checked all those sites, including Lowes site directly and got the same quote as my AAA agent gave me. $329 for Thursday night.
Maybe I should just wait to book it? If I book with Universal, will they apply a discount at a later date the way Disney would? I usually book with Disney and then call to have any special added early with my Dis. Visa. They just adjust the balance.
I will have to think about this 1 night or 2 pretty carefully. I just hate to feel so rushed with staying one night only.
Just book directly. You can change things around later if needed. Since the AAA person is quoting you the same price, there's no AAA discount for those dates at this time. No need to use the TA.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:54 PM   #14
calablovedisney
Mouseketeer

thanks for even more advice. I think I know the date the flights are being released and I plan to be up bright and early that day! We are using points this trip for the 1st time.
I think I might go the Cheaptickets route. Seems to save the most money. I think I read on another thread a few weeks back that I can call the resort to add my kids before we go.
You do get a couple of perks booking with AAA I think. I know you get a large refillable drink cup for $.99 a refill or something like that. Nor sure what other perks, but I will do the math. Looks like I can cancel with cheaptickets for a full refund, so nothing to lose by booking now!

Old 12-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #15
buzzrelly
DIS Veteran

Those prices are looking pretty good to me...I booked for April this past September, and I haven't seen prices less than $404 per night. I must be doing something wrong?!
1989 Off Site-2003 Contemporary Resort-2006 Old Key West-2008 Caribbean Beach Resort-2010 Contemporary Resort-2012 Disney Cruise Line Magic-2013 Contemporary Resort-2013 Beach Club -2014 POP Century with Dance the World

buzzrelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: