Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
elf
DIS Veteran

corian sink vs. stainless steel

We went to the design center to pick out items for the new house we are getting. It's terrible the way they do it. In one day (it took 6 hours) we had to pick everything from Kitchen cabinets, sound systems, to lighting and electrical outlets and cable sockets. Needless to say I was numb when I left, I'm not a great shopper.

Anyway, things got confusing although I wanted a stainless steel sink I think I got the one piece corian sink with corian countertop. To change would cost about $350 (for change item and additional for sink).
I'm nervous about the corian sink and staining and not looking good within a couple of years. Should I be worried? Or should I change to stainless steel dropin (or whatever they call it).
Thanks for any info.!
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
ohiominnie
It's interesting when you google yourself
I'd rather be at WDW
Spent all day at an amusement park yesterday
My DH gets kitty litter kidney stones

I LOVE my integral corian sink. No seams to get gunky.

My sink cleans up well with a scrub of Comet now and then.

HTH
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
TiggerStac
I'm going to join in on this one
he sure looks like a dog on the sweatshirt

My corian sink needed a little cleaning and the good ole disboarders helped.

Mr Clean Eraser!! Looks good as new again!!!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
DebMcDonald
DIS Veteran

I absolutely LOVE my corian sink. It just looks no nice, cleans so nice, no seams, etc. I would do it again in a second. Also, your facet, sprayer, soap dispenser, have their own holes, none of that metal bracket. Mine was looking dirty a week ago and I just filled my sick with water and bleach and it's new again.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

I love my integrated sink and counter top. No seams for gunk to build up and easy to clean up. A littel commet every now and again and it is all set. Mr. Clean erasers work very well also. I have had mine for a bout a year now and I have only really scrubbed it twice.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
janette
aka going2wdw
Wants to know who moved her button???
Ask me for directions

My sister just did corian and loves it, I'm doing counters but not corian and wish I could get the same style of sink.

janette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
Gillian
I'm the only crazy disney person in my family
Lost her tag...oops, found one!
Next there will be peacock sightings...

Although granite with an undermount stainleses sink is the most popular thing around here, I recently held an open house for a home with an integrated corian sink. It was a very nice look, clean and uncluttered. I'm sure yours will look great too.
Gillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
bearzabout
DIS Veteran

My 11 year old Corian Sink looks like new after I clean it. I just coat the sink with a light layer of soft scrub and watch all the stains disappear. A light scrubbing and it is as good as new.

Ask them if you can have the material cut out for the sink made into cutting boards. I have one large (24"x18") and one small (12"x12") matching Corian boards on my counters. They blend in and are so easy to sanitize.

My expensive Elkay stainless sink in the laundry room has scratches and scuffs in it. I'd pick Corian over stainless anyday.
bearzabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
CarolA

Hasn't been overlooked by the Tag Fairy

I really disliked my Corian sink, but it didn't stain. It was the only think I thought I did wrong in the house. (Sorry!)
Old 03-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
DisneyMomJen
DIS Veteran

I LOVE my Corian sink! Mine is a vanilla color and is so easy to clean. If there is a stain I use comet. Sometime I let bleach and water soak once in awhile. It is also nice that it is seamless and there are no 'edges' to clean. Highly recommend it!
DisneyMomJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 PM   #11
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

I've had both and prefer stainless but the integrated look doesn't fit the style of my house. I thought the Corian was harder to keep clean.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:09 PM   #12
scorpad99
DIS Veteran

I use that spray with bleach in it, just spray out the sink at the end of the day, and i use a white drainer grate that sits in the bottom of the sink , so nothing touches it. My sink is 5 years old white corian that is integrated to the corian counter, and we love it........... I will never go back to stainless steel again
Old 03-23-2007, 05:55 AM   #13
TiggerStac
I'm going to join in on this one
he sure looks like a dog on the sweatshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearzabout View Post
My 11 year old Corian Sink looks like new after I clean it. I just coat the sink with a light layer of soft scrub and watch all the stains disappear. A light scrubbing and it is as good as new.

Ask them if you can have the material cut out for the sink made into cutting boards. I have one large (24"x18") and one small (12"x12") matching Corian boards on my counters. They blend in and are so easy to sanitize.

My expensive Elkay stainless sink in the laundry room has scratches and scuffs in it. I'd pick Corian over stainless anyday.

My installes made one good size cutting board and left me another piece to save incase it ever needs repair. The piece that I have saved is about double the size of my cutting board.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:40 AM   #14
PinballFamily
Yes, I have scrapping supplies to decorate my scrapping supplies...wanna make something of it?

Love, love, love our Corian sink for all the reasons mentioned by everyone else. Had it for years, still looks fabulous.

Our cleaning tip - I use dishwasher detergent - one quick squirt of this (it's always under the sink anyway, with the dishwasher one step away) and a swish with a plastic scrubbie or brush and the sink sparkles. I guess there's bleach in there?

Also, when draining boiling water (from pasta, lobstahs(!), or whatever), into a Corian sink, be sure to run cold water from the faucet at the same time to dilute the water temperature. Our installer told us that pouring boiling water into a Corian sink could crack it. No big deal, and even the kids know to do it now.
PinballFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:01 PM   #15
elf
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone. I'm going to keep the Corian then with so many positive reveiws. I love the look I was worried about staining. Thanks!

Didn't know that about the hot water cracking the sink

Thats a good idea with dishwashing detergent. It does have bleach.
elf is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: