Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #1
ajpahl
Earning My Ears

Where should I start???

Ok, I'm new here, and have been reading threads and am sooo overwhelmed! We're planning on visiting WDW for the first time (well, I went as a kid once but only 2 days) and I'm wondering where to start. Is there a thread or place that lists all the "dumb questions" so I can read them all at once? Things like "best time of year to go" or "best ages for kids to go" or "how much does it cost" or "what on earth are all these abbreviations?!?!"

Thanks so much! I'm learning so much already!
ajpahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

Try starting in the Welcome to the Dis form\ums. It is found just above this one on the main pages of the baords.

Rebecca
rlovew is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-20-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
LoriMistress
Donald Duck, you're my hero.

First you need to know when you'll be visiting the parks and how long will you be there. Is there a certain time of year that you HAVE to go? Or are you trying to go during a certain major holiday? Once you know the dates of your stay next it the budget. How much are you planning to stay at WDW? Which hotel do you prefer to stay at Deluxe/Moderate/Value? How much do you want to spend on food? On tickets?

I probably just overwhelmed you.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
nyfinfan
DIS Veteran

http://www.wdwinfo.com/abbreviations.htm = abbreviations

The search function has worked better in the past. Now it seems you can't search through Forum's but need to search through the entire sight. First try searching by relevancy but if the date's are too old and the info is outdated, than search by recent date.

Good Luck staying up to the wee hours of the night reading these boards!!!
They are the best!!!

BTW...Welcome!

Best Western/Cruise - June 1994
POR/Calabay Parc - Sep 2004
Formosa Gardens - Nov 2005
Windsor Hills - May 2007
HRH - Aug 2007
CSR - Aug 2009
Vista Cay - Oct 2011
nyfinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

Welcome - you may need to get new glasses soon from staring at these boards for many, many hours

Here is where I start:

When:
What are our dates (are they flexible, good to know for discount purposes)
I would go review the different "seasons" that WDW has to help with the when if you are flexible

Where:
This for me is the hardest - where to stay. I like to start with the WDW website to get an idea of costs for the different accomodations for our dates.

Happy Planning!
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

to the Dis!!!
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:07 AM   #7
Nala2007
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
Welcome - you may need to get new glasses soon from staring at these boards for many, many hours

Yeah no kidding, my contacts dry out!!

Former DLR CM 97-98~AS Sports 04/03~POFQ Disneymoon 07/05~WL 11/08
Nala2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:51 AM   #8
marie1338
Earning My Ears

Hello!! I'm also new here (and overwhelmed)!! Actually, this is also my very first post. I've been planning our upcoming trip and these forums have been SO much help! One of the most helpful tips I got here, was to go buy "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" and start reading! That book has been very helpful as well. I have spent lots of time researching, so that our family can make the most of our first time Disney World vacation. We are taking our 4 year old son, and going with another couple (relatives). There will be 5 of us, and we are all extremely excited!! I will be posting a lot more questions, since I just registered today.

Good luck planning. You are definitely in the right place for answers to all your questions!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

First Disney World Trip: 4/25/07-5/01/07
Coronado Springs
marie1338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:45 AM   #9
renessa

Logan Meets Mickey!!!

Be sure to order the free vacation planning video from disney.com
Old 03-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #10
Tony Toon
DIS Veteran

I suppose there may be one specific place where you might find the answer to most of your questions - but it's so much fun just reading all of these boards. There's no better way to plan your trip!

Speaking of planning, my advice -for what it's worth - is to know what you really want to do while you're there (having read the Disboards ). Use the Fast pass system as much as possible for your must do attractions. Otherwise be as relaxed as possible about the rest and just soak up the atmosphere, which can be as much a delight as any of the attractions.
Jan '97 Disneyland Jul 02 - Villa Indian Ridge Oaks Jul 03 - Villa Indian Creek Oct 04 - DLP Jul 05 - Villa Indian Creek Jul 06 - Villa Indian Creek Jul 07 - Villa Indian Creek Jul 08 - 1 wk Fort Myers Beach Condo, 3 wks at (you've guessed it) Villa Indian Creek Oct 08 - birthday trip July/Aug 09 - 4 wks to settle DD in Disney job Oct 09 - Homewood Suites Lake Buena Vista. Xmas 09 - Villa Indian Creek. Easter 2010 - Beach Club. Summer '10 - 5 weeks inc cruise on Disney Wonder (wonderful), Jul '11 - Indian Creek.Jul '12 - 2 wks OKW&Indian Creek; Jul '13 POFQ & offsite; Jul '14 SSR & Offsite; Jul'15 - Let planning commence!
Tony Toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:00 AM   #11
Rachie0507
DIS Veteran
I'm used to blending in

My suggestion would be to read, read, read. I had been to WDW many times before I discovered the Dis. Yet I still learn more and more from the people here.
Rachie0507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:51 AM   #12
Disney Crazy Debbie
DIS Veteran

I also would suggest buying and reading the Passporter and the Unofficial Guide to WDW, which can be ordered on Amazon.com. Once you have looked through all of that and watched your planner DVD from Disney the DISboard will become more familiar to you because you will already have your ground work completed and everything else will make sense.

1975 - Holiday Inn, Orlando; 12/1975 (WDW), 2/1976 (WDW), 4/1976 (WDW) and 4/83 (DL) - day visits; 6/80 - Lake Buena Vista; 9/2000 Caribbean Beach Resort; 8/2004 POFQ; 8/2006 BCR and Disney Cruise; 6/2007 Disney Land Paris; 07/31/2012 Port Orleans French Quarters
Disney Crazy Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #13
Dan Murphy
We are family.

Welcome to the DIS, AJ.
The boards here are very good, spend some time cruising the planning boards, taking it in. Also, a subscription to http://www.tourguidemike.com/index.a...MF-AQ#TGM-home might be in order, a great help in the planning process. Make sure the $3 discount calculates at the end.

Enjoy.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #14
ajpahl
Earning My Ears

Phew! There, read it! Lol... No, I just found this old thread I started and found it funny. 5 years later and we are finally going!!! 12 days!! Thank you all indirectly, as I have t posted much but have read everything in sight on the world and am so excited!!!
ajpahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #15
Bagheera23608
Bagheera23608

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Crazy Debbie View Post
I also would suggest buying and reading the Passporter and the Unofficial Guide to WDW, which can be ordered on Amazon.com.
I second the Unofficial Guide. This is my second time tonite suggesting this book. It covers it ALL and is a great place to start. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't have access to the internet 24/7 so I love this book. I can carry it with me everywhere, make notes in it, post-it to death, etc. It's been my bible my last couple of trips.
Bagheera23608 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: