Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
4forthemouse
Mouseketeer

Epcot's 25th B-Day??

Let me apologize in advance if there is a thread about this already, but I couldn't find anything. Has anyone heard if there will be an Epcot birthday celebration this fall? We LOVE Epcot, and hate not knowing. If WDW is doing something to celebrate we want to be there.
Anyone got the inside scoop????
1983 FW Campgrounds; 2003 All Star Movies; 2004 All Star Movies & AKL; 2005 BWV; OKW; 2006 BWV; 2007 BC; All Star Movies; AKL; 2008 SSR; AKL; All Star Movies; 2009 AKL; BWV; POP & BC; 2010 SSR; BWV; AKL; BC; BWV again; 2011 Contemporary; DCL Dream & AKL; 2012 FW Cabins; BWV; 2013 FW Campgrounds; DCL Dream; 2014 ASMu; VWL
4forthemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

The YOMD runs through this year so I wouldn't expect anything special for Epcot's 25th. Disney wouldn't gain anything by having two promotions going at once.
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
Mickey1122
Walt Disney World Fan

I hope they do something major, but the liklihood of that happening is a bit slim. They could do a lot of updates (hopefully ones that do NOT involve inserting those overused Pixar characters into every single ride--has anyone else noticed that every new ride in some way shape or form has pixar in it?) to FW and possibly do a new Illuminations show. Reflections of Earth is great, but I think it should be swapped out for a new show as it's been around for years and years.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Another Voice
Charter Member of The Element

The GM of Epcot has announced there will be no public event - not even a special park opening event on Oct. 1.

EPCOT Center has a "troubled" history in Disney culture; it opened shortly before Eisner took over and became his scapegoat for everything that "the dead guy" did wrong going back to leaving Marceline. Saying that you liked anything at all about Epcot was the quickest way to end your corporate career (even faster than making a joke about Eisner's hairline). Ever since the park has been the ignored "bad cousin" in the Disney family.

For me, I'd be happy if all they would do is take down that frackin' wand. The Great Park we knew has been dumbed downed and killed - but at least they can restore a bit of dignity and grandeur back to Spaceship Earth.
Another Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
NeverEnufWDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Voice View Post
For me, I'd be happy if all they would do is take down that frackin' wand. The Great Park we knew has been dumbed downed and killed - but at least they can restore a bit of dignity and grandeur back to Spaceship Earth.
So how exactly does removing the wand bring back the "grandeur" of Spaceship earth ?

NeverEnufWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Another Voice
Charter Member of The Element

Becasue the wand is for stupid people. The giant letters are for complete idiots. And the twinkle stars are for people who dress up their cats and throw them birthday parties. Removing a giant heaping pile of yak that stands beside any building makes that building look better.

The clean lines of Spaceship Earth make it look impressive. The fact that it is a sphere - unlinke any other building - and without external supports makes it unique. And it gives the appearance of hovering over the land - an ac of true Disney "magic".

The wand is nothing but a giant tinkertoy construction. It looks like it, it feels like it, you can see that's all there is to it. There is no grace in a contrustion crane - and that's what the wand looks like.
Another Voice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
rocketriter
"The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase." - Yogi Berra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnufWDW View Post
So how exactly does removing the wand bring back the "grandeur" of Spaceship earth ?
The wand represents magic and fantasy, which are elements of the Magic Kingdom but not of Epcot. Epcot's architecture was designed to represent a hopeful and streamlined future, not a throwback to medieval alchemy. The wand is as out of place on a geodesic dome as a royal crown would be on top of the Washington Monument.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
Bella the Ball 360
Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.
I am going to have to sew "whoopie pie" pockets on the hips of my jeans

How could they have a celebration of 25 yrs of Epcot when half of the rides have been destroyed(Figment, Horizon, World of Motion) and the other half are just lame. I LOVED Epcot and they have destroyed it. I also heard that Alfredo's is closing. If this is true would it be another gaping whole in the landscape like Communicore East and West or the downstairs area at Space Ship Earth?
Bella the Ball 360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
kjkcool
Mouseketeer
Now, don't touch these tags, or I'll have to put you on Tag Time-out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella the Ball 360 View Post
How could they have a celebration of 25 yrs of Epcot when half of the rides have been destroyed(Figment, Horizon, World of Motion) and the other half are just lame. I LOVED Epcot and they have destroyed it. I also heard that Alfredo's is closing. If this is true would it be another gaping whole in the landscape like Communicore East and West or the downstairs area at Space Ship Earth?
They have a new Italian restaraunt already planned for the spot.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
sters
Enjoys visiting resorts at WDW
Likes the idea of getting the boat with a catered dinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnufWDW View Post
By de-tackifying it. Then Disney can keep going and take down the oh-so-tacky HAT in the Disney-Pixar studio.
sters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
Disneybag
The suits won't allow it.

Quote:
And the twinkle stars are for people who dress up their cats and throw them birthday parties.
That's wonderful.

It's an absolute eyesore. It should have come down after the Millenium Celebration.
Disneybag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #12
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker, Fairly-Good Sailing Master, Recently Ordained.

Quote:
. . . The wand is nothing but a giant tinkertoy construction. It looks like it, it feels like it, you can see that's all there is to it. There is no grace in a contrustion crane - and that's what the wand looks like . . .
1) What!
2) No comments on the tombstones (Eisner's personal placement choice) blocking the view of SE?
3) It used to be such a grand site walking through the turnstiles!
4) On a crisp morning
. . . you see SE as you come from the parking lot
. . . you go through the turnstiles with anticipation
. . . then, KABAMMMM !
. . . the SE comes into full view
. . . from the ground it grows and hovers above you
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
AmberLuvsWDW
Mouseketeer

DH and I are also disappointed by the lack of celebration for Epcot's 25th. We were hoping they would bring back the Millennium Village. I didnít get to see it, but DH said it was a nice change to see the different countries.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: