Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2007, 07:23 AM   #16
Marion
Go Blue Jays!!
There's nothing I love better than seeing a man with a broom and yelling SWEEP! at him

What a fabulous exciting trip that was! I'd love to read about the whole thing, not just the Disney bits. And congratulations on your engagement!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #17
lisaj
DIS Veteran

Waiting for the next instalment, tell it all please, I can't wait to go for three weeks, but seven - yES PLEASE!

Lisa
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #18
Disney_Dreaming
Mouseketeer

I can't wait to read all about your exciting trip!

I have always wanted to visit Australia since I was a little girl. Hopefully that dream will become reality!

Last edited by Disney_Dreaming; 03-14-2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: correcting error
Old 03-15-2007, 12:21 AM   #19
AussieAngel
DIS Veteran

ILMICKEY... I'm hurrying, I'm hurrying! Heee!

Marion... Thanks for your congratulations!

lisaj... Lucky you, going to the US for 3 weeks soon! Where are you heading?

DisneyDreaming... You definitely should pop over to Australia! It's a long way, but there's lots of great things to see and do!

Thanks again to everyone who's been reading my little trippie!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 2006 trip report - Two Aussie First-Timers in Disney!
My 2009 dining report - Our delicious Disney deluxe dining adventures!
My 2009 trip report - Laughter, Tears & Screams - Two Aussies in Disney World!
Old 03-15-2007, 12:39 AM   #20
AussieAngel
DIS Veteran

Part 1… Whizzing through the West Coast!

Well, we did it! After 14 months of meticulous researching, saving, planning, and packing, the day finally arrived! We flew out of Australia and headed for that enchanted far away land… the United States of America! Woooooo!

It was just our luck that two weeks before we left, all airlines brought in the new rule of no liquids in carry-on bags. In our 7 weeks of traveling around the US, Canada and Ireland, the most we were ever searched was in… Australia! Augh!

Before flying out of Australia, we had to literally unpack all of our carry-on luggage in front of security, and be felt up by security about 16 times. Ew! Never fun! But we eventually made it on board the plane. San Francisco, here we come!!!

14 hours later, we made it. Whew. I slept for about an hour. I was just too excited to sleep! For the other 15 hours, I was addicted to watching bad movies, wishing I had my lip gloss, and reading my PassPorter. Because, yes – even though we were traveling to 11 different cities and 3 different countries, I couldn’t stop counting down the days til we were in Disney!! Augh!

I’d packed everything I could think of for our Disney days… PassPorter? Check. Crocs? Check. Ponchos? Check. Camera with huge memory card? Check. ADR numbers? Check. Ridiculously action-packed itinerary? Check. Yep, it was all there, ready to go!!

But first… we had four other cities to tackle!! Don’t worry, I will get to our Disney arrival soon enough!! I'll just write a quick overview of our time in each city, but if you want me to elaborate on something, or ask questions about a particular place we went, please do so!! I'll save my raving for Disney!!

So San Francisco was first.

San Francisco in two words? HILLY and COLD!! We discovered the old saying from Mark Twain while we were there – “I’ve never lived through a colder winter than a summer in San Francisco.” Seriously. Wah! And also… I knew it was hilly, but I never knew it was that hilly!! Woo, boy! I got my legs into shape those 4 days, let me tell you!

That being said, we really enjoyed San Francisco. We loved the cosy, relaxed vibe of it all, and the cute Full House style houses! Our 4 days in San Francisco consisted of… lots of shopping, a cruise on the bay, a visit to Alcatraz, eating a huge (and delicious!) ice-cream sundae at Ghirardelli’s, playing on Fisherman’s Wharf, and a massive daytrip to Yosemite National Park.

Here's DF (in his crocs!) looking a bit tired and jet-lagged at Fisherman's Wharf...

And this is one of my favourite photos from our whole trip, at Yosemite. We LOVED Yosemite and wished we could have spent a few nights camping there. Maybe next time!

After 4 lovely nights in San Francisco, we sadly packed our suitcases and headed for our next destination – Los Angeles! Ooh la la!!

We actually hired a car and drove to LA. Why? Just for fun!! We fancied a little road trip across some Californian country-side. Or, should I say, across some Californian 4-lane highways. Do you know what I noticed about Californians? They like to drive some BIG cars!! I’ve never seen so many truck-cars in my life.

Here’s our little hired car, a Chrysler PT Cruiser, which we fell in love with…

Oh, did we mention that in Australia, we drive on the left-hand side of the road? Hee! That ride-hand side took a while to get used to! Erm… actually, I should say, it took DF a while to get used to. He drove the whole time, and I screamed “Careful!!” about 88% of the time.

So after our 7 hour car adventure, we made it to LA. After a small detour (ie, we got lost), we eventually found our hotel, which was right opposite The Grove, a faaaabulous shopping centre. It was here that my love affair with Abercrombie & Fitch clothes stores began. We don’t have A&F in Australia, and now, I’m obsessed with it. And no, not just the male models. Eep!

Anyway, we loved Los Angeles too! LA in one word? FUN! It was all fun and colorful and bright and fast and just what we imagined California would be. Lots of people had warned us before our trip that, “You’ll hate Los Angeles.” But actually, we loved it! It’s unlike any other place I’ve ever been to.

Basically our 4 days in LA consisted of… a day in Universal Studios, a day in Abercrombie & Fitch stores (ha, I’m kidding! I think.), a trip to the beaches, a tour of “Hollywood” and movie stars homes, and lots of eating at The Cheesecake Factory. Wow, we don’t have that in Australia either! Yum!

Here's me enjoying the LA sunshine...

And here I am in Tom Hanks' hands!

This might be a good idea to mention that we were gradually noticing the size of everything in America. Things are BIG in America. Not just the cars. For starters, the food servings at restaurants are MUCH bigger than Australian. We were completely overwhelmed by all the food – I don’t think either of us finished a meal the whole time we were in the US. We definitely got our money’s worth!! (And we eventually learnt to share!)

What else is bigger? The cities, the people’s personalities, the people’s passion for life, the hotels, the shops, the amount of television stations, the buildings, the EVERYTHING!! It was all just so exciting and colorful and fun and BIG!

In other words, we were loving our time in America so far! Can you tell!?

Next up… San Diego & Las Vegas (and we thought things were crazy and big before Vegas!!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My 2006 trip report - Two Aussie First-Timers in Disney!
My 2009 dining report - Our delicious Disney deluxe dining adventures!
My 2009 trip report - Laughter, Tears & Screams - Two Aussies in Disney World!
Old 03-15-2007, 09:16 AM   #21
MA pigletfan
DIS Veteran

YAY!!!! So happy to read this installment..i hope to go out west one day, it sounds like you had a great time on your first 2 stops did you see any "stars" ???
Old 03-15-2007, 09:46 AM   #22
NMAmy
Can speak food in German
He seemed so normal when I met him
It's not like I'm getting any special sanitation type service
I'm old school-I like my cartoon rodents to be mice

Great installment. I have a PT Cruiser--I love mine. It's little and gets pretty good mileage and yet there is tons of room on the inside. I'm impressed about you guys learning to drive on the right side of the road in California of all places!

Can't wait to read more!
Old 03-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #23
joiev98
Mouseketeer

Subscribing! I love your report! What an exciting adventure! I can't begin to imagine how much fun that would be... 7 weeks of exploring.... maybe someday... but for now I will look forward to 8 days in Florida... can't wait to read the rest....
Old 03-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #24
lennon2004
Mouseketeer

I just read your food report today, so I'll be following along here too. I love your writing style, and especially your little Aussie words and phrases.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #25
Disney_Dreaming
Mouseketeer

So glad you had a wonderful time in Cali! It's one of my favorite places to vacation.

Looking forward to the next installment!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #26
LITTLEKID58
Platinum Castaway

I am subscribing.. cannot wait for the rest.

txs so much for sharing..
Old 03-15-2007, 02:11 PM   #27
basas
The majority of people are still good people

Excellent start! Looking forward to reading all about your amazing trip!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #28
Ciciwoowoo
we would both run like heck to get home before the ghosts got us!

Your picture of Yosemite is wonderful! I look forward to reading more!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #29
lisaj
DIS Veteran

Aussie Angel, this is wonderful, I have never been to the West Coast of the USA, sounds great. We go in October/November, 1 week CSR, 1 week Gulf Coast, 1 Week GF. Trying to persuade my DH to go for seven weeks next time (so never going to happen). Don't envy you the flights though.

Lisa
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Old 03-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #30
Luv2trav
DIS Veteran

I am loving it!! 7 weeks?? I could only dream of vacationing for 7 weeks... That is so awesome!!
2011-Nov/Dec SSR
2011 March/April-Beach Club Villas and AKV..
2010-March/April Pop/BWV/Poly
2009-June AKV Kidani
2008-June BCV
2007-Dec SSR Joined DVC-8/2007 AKV! May 2007 VB, SSR and VWL 2 bedroom May 2006 SSR 2 bedroom! October 2005 Contemporary February 2005 AKL Sav View May/June 2004 POFQ/POLY March 2003 Off Site

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: