Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #691
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHerd1028 View Post
I would love to have a copy of that when you get to a point that you are ready to send them out
I came back to add that anyone that wants a copy can just PM me their email address and I'll send it!! You jumped on before I got back!!

PLEASE GO TO POST #721 ON PAGE #49 FOR A COPY OF THE LIST!! THANKS!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)

Last edited by rescuetink; 12-05-2011 at 08:35 AM.
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #692
chiamarie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo View Post
Didn't read thru this whole thread, but have a few unofficial tips:

- On the day you set sail, try to get to the port early. You get on the ship earlier, which means you can have a nice lunch that you wouldn't get if you arrive closer to sailing time. Plus it gives you a little time to get to know the ship before you unpack; maybe even use the pool, if you're so inclined. Only drawback: you can't get into your room until early afternoon (1:30/2:00), so you'll need to carry a small bag around.
- If you don't have small kids, take the late dinner seating. That way you won't have to rush back from port adventures to make your dinner seating, especially Castaway Cay day.
- Unless you want to, don't feel obligated to pay for a huge beach related excursion in Nassau. Chances are you'll be on Castaway Cay the next (or previous) day and that's the beach adventure of a lifetime.
- Especially if you do have the early seating, you'll get an insanely early breakfast time on debarkation morning. And, to add to that, you'll wind up sitting in a lounge for awhile waiting for your luggage tag character to be called. Instead, skip the assigned breakfast and go to the buffet (Beach Blanket buffet on the Wonder, don't know the other ships) when you want. If you go about when the second seating folks are going to their assigned breakfast, you'll have a leisurely breakfast and by the time you're done, chances are all the luggage tags will have been called, so you can head on out.
- If you have four people, besides pricing out a single stateroom, price out two staterooms (you'll "officially" have to split the adults). Compared to the cost of the cruise, its surprisingly not much more expensive.
- If you do have two staterooms, you can all get keys to each others staterooms. Just go to Guest Relations after you board and they'll take care of it.
- Passporter guide is probably the best source of info, especially for first time cruisers, but read below if you're going to Alaska.

A few tips for Alaska cruisers:
- On Tracy Arm day, the decks get packed mid-morning, several hours before you head into Tracy Arm. People reserve deck chairs, etc. But, guess what? The ship heads out of Tracy Arm the same way it went in, so the view is identical. Once the ship turns around, the decks empty. On the return, you can practically have the whole deck to yourself and see the same thing.
- Also for Tracy Arm, even if its a warm day, bring a jacket with you. The temperature drop is considerable as the ship goes into the arm (seems like a 20 degree drop or more).
- Don't overpack. T-shirts are really inexpensive at the Alaska ports...usually less than $10 (even for long-sleeve) and are of a decent quality. Even if you forget a fleece jacket, you can pick up a decent one in any of the ports for around $20. Plenty of selection of raincoats too.
- Many of the Alaskan souvenir stands sell something called an ulu, which is a semi-circular knife (look it up on wikipedia if you like). Problem is: you can't bring it back on the ship. Solution: let Disney confiscate it, they'll give you a claim ticket and you can pick it back up after you disembark.
- Passporter guide is pretty much useless for Alaska. Huge disappointment. I think their Alaskan coverage could be why they stopped putting the year on the cover. It wasn't published until about a month before the Alaskan cruises ended for 2011 and had very little useful information on the ports and less on port adventures. The port adventures, for the most part, aren't new -- they're the same ones offered to other ships, so the information is out there, just not in the Passporter.
All of these are good advice, except for the bolded one. At least, if you're sailing out of Port Canaveral (don't know about the other ports). They give you a boarding number based on your port arrival time check in online. So if you check in online late, and get a time of 1-1:30; you'll probably get a boarding number of 30 and if you arrive early to port, you're going to be sitting there for a few hours waiting.

You should arrive at whatever time you click in the online checkin. Also, if you arrive earlier than 11am, they will likely turn you away now.
chiamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #693
Mean Queen
If only life were like a musical....
I always appreciate snarky
A whole zoo!
I blame it all on the computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiamarie View Post
All of these are good advice, except for the bolded one. At least, if you're sailing out of Port Canaveral (don't know about the other ports). They give you a boarding number based on your port arrival time check in online. So if you check in online late, and get a time of 1-1:30; you'll probably get a boarding number of 30 and if you arrive early to port, you're going to be sitting there for a few hours waiting.

You should arrive at whatever time you click in the online checkin. Also, if you arrive earlier than 11am, they will likely turn you away now.
We ran into this for the first time last week for the Thanksgiving cruise. It wasn't like that when we went in March on the Dream. Though they did not turn us away, our time wasn't even checked until we got to the check-in counter and received our keys and boarding card. We were very early and surprised to get such a later number when no one was at the port.

So my new tip is to check in on line as soon as you possibly can if you plan to make it early to the port (as many who drive themselves tend to do.)

DVC Owners - SSR & BLT DCL: 11/05 ~ 5/07 ~ 11/08 ~ 6/09 ~ 8/10 ~ 3/11B2B ~ 11/11 ~ 6/12 ~9/12 ~ 11/13 ~ 1/14 ~ 6/14 ~ 11/14 ~ 3/15 ~ 11/15

Last edited by Mean Queen; 11-27-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Mean Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #694
pinkfairy1684
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick View Post
This is incredible! I would love to have something like this done for my DH for our anniversary, where did you get the plate made?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debers17 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. We will be celebrating our 10 yr anniversary when we cruise and I would like to have a cute keepsake like that just for us.
Thank you!!! I ordered the platter from a woman in CT and she shipped it to my house very quickly. Her company is called Custom Ceramics by Traci. She did an awesome job working with me to personalize my platter. Let me know if you want any more information!
pinkfairy1684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #695
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuetink View Post
I came back to add that anyone that wants a copy can just PM me their email address and I'll send it!! You jumped on before I got back!!
sent PM
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #696
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuetink View Post
PM'd you as well! Thanks!

This thread got out of hand with posts not even close to tips. I wish the OP could post the top tips and tricks in the first post...

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!

Last edited by TheLanes; 11-27-2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling error
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #697
Grandma4ever
One day closer and still counting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLanes View Post
PM'd you as well! Thanks!

This thread got out of hand with posts not even close to tips. I wish the OP could post the top tips and tricks in the first post...
If that is what you want you could begin a list on any one of your post and place a link to the post in your signature. I am sure many readers would love the efford that you would put in to complete the list and to keep it updated. That is just a thought.
Land & sea/ Carribean Beach / Wonder 8/03; WDW POP Century & Magic 8/04 (Eastern); Magic 10/05 (Eastern / Halloween); Magic 9/06 (Eastern); WDW 9/2/07 Port Orleans FQ & Magic 9/8/07 (Western) ; WDW 9/20/08 POP Century, Magic 9/27/2008 Alternative Western, & 10/04/2008 Western; All Star Music 7/8/09, All Star Music 12/9/09, Disneyland 5/19/10 to 5/23/10, Magic 10/23/2010 (Eastern) & Magic 10/30/2010 (Western) 9/14/12 POFQ & 9/22/12 (Eastern) Fantasy, 10-25-2014 (Western) & 11-1-2014 (Eastern) Fantasy Mouser

Grandma4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #698
TheLanes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma4ever View Post
If that is what you want you could begin a list on any one of your post and place a link to the post in your signature. I am sure many readers would love the efford that you would put in to complete the list and to keep it updated. That is just a thought.
RescueTink graciously has made a document that lists these. She made the efford [sic].

I don't think another post needs to start, so I won't make the effort.

March 2007 - 11 night Mex Riviera- Celebrity Mercury
April 2009 - 3 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
April 2010 - 4 night Baja Mexico - Carnival Elation
Feb 2012 - 7 night Mexican Riviera - Disney Wonder

Coming up: Oct 2015 - 5 night Baja Mexico - Disney Wonder

Disneyland: Dozens and dozens of trips!
TheLanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #699
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

We ordered hot coffee and cookies every night, told them to put it in a pre-heated carafe, and it was very hot every morning for us (including this morning, our last day on the Wonder), so we could have a couple cups of coffee before getting dressed. Took the cookies into the shows at night.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #700
Mean Queen
If only life were like a musical....
I always appreciate snarky
A whole zoo!
I blame it all on the computer

Here's a tip for the coolers on the Magic and Wonder - to help keep things cold we brought plastic baggies to fill with ice to put in the fridge as ice packs. We would change it out each time our room steward changed out our ice bucket in the room. The bucket is too big to fit in the room cooler and just putting ice in it makes a mess. This helped us be able to keep cartons of milk cold for in the morning.

DVC Owners - SSR & BLT DCL: 11/05 ~ 5/07 ~ 11/08 ~ 6/09 ~ 8/10 ~ 3/11B2B ~ 11/11 ~ 6/12 ~9/12 ~ 11/13 ~ 1/14 ~ 6/14 ~ 11/14 ~ 3/15 ~ 11/15
Mean Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #701
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Queen View Post
Here's a tip for the coolers on the Magic and Wonder - to help keep things cold we brought plastic baggies to fill with ice to put in the fridge as ice packs. We would change it out each time our room steward changed out our ice bucket in the room. The bucket is too big to fit in the room cooler and just putting ice in it makes a mess. This helped us be able to keep cartons of milk cold for in the morning.
Agreed about the ice buckets. Don't know who thought up those coolers. We managed to fit the ice bucket on the top shelf but had to remove a shelf to get it in. Even with a full bucket of ice, it didn't cool it too much. We finally decided to put the milk carton directly into the ice. I like your idea of putting into ziplock bags instead.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #702
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiamarie View Post

We had an 11:00am boarding time and we were given #4, but they got to #4 really quick after they started boarding at around 11:00am!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post
sent PM
I think I sent the list to 29 people who sent me their email address'!! I know there was at least one who sent a request and no email address!! So whoever that was please send it and I'll send it!!

Thanks to everyone who put an idea on here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLanes View Post
RescueTink graciously has made a document that lists these. She made the efford [sic].

I don't think another post needs to start, so I won't make the effort.
SHE??? You thought my DW made this list?? Your so so silly!!!!

PLEASE GO TO POST #721 ON PAGE #49 FOR A COPY OF THE LIST!! THANKS!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)

Last edited by rescuetink; 12-05-2011 at 08:35 AM.
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #703
Brumbie13
Mr. Mickeybars

THANKS! You've given me way too much to think about!

Brumbie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #704
CricketMOM
Earning My Ears

If you are interested in Disney pillowcases for autographs , I found this website;
www.pillowcasesbygammy.vpweb.com This lady makes all different characters on one side and white for autographs on other side!! I got mine within a week and we are very happy with them. Have a great cruise..

CricketMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #705
CricketMOM
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuck View Post
What is the pillowcase signature thing about? Thanks!
check this website for Disney character pillowcases to get autographed. They do white on one side and different characters on the other.
www.pillowcasesbygammy.vpweb.com

CricketMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: