Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #676
mouselover88
EARNING MY EARS, DVC MEMBER

Great tips!
Subscribing!

mouselover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #677
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

My DH loves the shampoo that they provide in the staterooms. As we were doing 2 B2Bs on the Dream this past summer he tipped the guy $20 in the beginning and told him he really liked the shampoo. My DH got 4 tubes a day and wouldn't let me using any of it! Made me use the Suave we brought from home.
He would squeeze all 4 bottles into a water bottle. He filled up over 4 bottles and duct taped the lids on. As it's about $20 for a bottle from the store, he figures he made out fairly well.

We requested the same serving team for the second leg of our B2B as they were wonderful and already knew what we liked. The first night back our head server asked if we all liked shrimp. We said yes and didn't think anything about it. The next night, they brought us 2 FULL plates of coconut shrimp. We could only eat 1 so they gave me a cover for the plate and a cup of the sauce. There was no way we were eating it before bed as we had late seating dinner. When I first tried to give it to our stateroom host, he tried to turn it down. I told him then he could remove the cold ruined shrimp tomorrow morning from our stateroom because it would go to waste. I got an "Well, okay, I will get rid of it for you!" He thanked me for it the next morning. 2 nights later (5 night cruise), the head waiter gave us another 2 plates of it. We again took one back to him (it was the last night of the cruise). All I did was lift the lid a little and he readily took it out of my hands. He said that he and his friends would enjoy it when they got off that night! Made me feel good that someone was enjoying all that food and it wasn't going to waste.

And the serving team all thanked us profusely for requesting them for the B2B. They told us that we had no idea what that meant for them. So yes, fill out that questionnaire at the end and mention the excellent service you receive and mention their names!! It is a big deal.

Oh yeah, and we always pre-pay the tips and then stick extra cash in the envelope if they were great (which they usually are).
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #678
spunky1968
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygirl13 View Post
I'm laughing here because our first night on the Dream I couldn't set that darm alarm for anything!!! Not sure if it is the same one as the Wonder.

My husband was making fun of me UNTIL he tried and failed. It never did get set.
ha ha ha..neither my dh or I could set it on the dream either...but the wake up call is better anywho....mickey calls on the wake up call~
Old 11-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #679
spunky1968
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post
My DH loves the shampoo that they provide in the staterooms. As we were doing 2 B2Bs on the Dream this past summer he tipped the guy $20 in the beginning and told him he really liked the shampoo. My DH got 4 tubes a day and wouldn't let me using any of it! Made me use the Suave we brought from home.
He would squeeze all 4 bottles into a water bottle. He filled up over 4 bottles and duct taped the lids on. As it's about $20 for a bottle from the store, he figures he made out fairly well.

We requested the same serving team for the second leg of our B2B as they were wonderful and already knew what we liked. The first night back our head server asked if we all liked shrimp. We said yes and didn't think anything about it. The next night, they brought us 2 FULL plates of coconut shrimp. We could only eat 1 so they gave me a cover for the plate and a cup of the sauce. There was no way we were eating it before bed as we had late seating dinner. When I first tried to give it to our stateroom host, he tried to turn it down. I told him then he could remove the cold ruined shrimp tomorrow morning from our stateroom because it would go to waste. I got an "Well, okay, I will get rid of it for you!" He thanked me for it the next morning. 2 nights later (5 night cruise), the head waiter gave us another 2 plates of it. We again took one back to him (it was the last night of the cruise). All I did was lift the lid a little and he readily took it out of my hands. He said that he and his friends would enjoy it when they got off that night! Made me feel good that someone was enjoying all that food and it wasn't going to waste.

And the serving team all thanked us profusely for requesting them for the B2B. They told us that we had no idea what that meant for them. So yes, fill out that questionnaire at the end and mention the excellent service you receive and mention their names!! It is a big deal.

Oh yeah, and we always pre-pay the tips and then stick extra cash in the envelope if they were great (which they usually are).
our serving team was from India and so was one of his friends who was a chef...(on the dream) and the chef made us special indian food two different nights......was sooo yummy...when i say they go out of their way, they really go out of their way!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #680
canyoncam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore'sthebest View Post

Subscribing

We do the same. As for the shampoo and lotion I keep them in small bottles & love to take them on all my other trips to be reminded of my magical trips. On the last cruise our host would line up the 4 bottles of each on the desk in different patterns each day.

Another member wrote about taking along extra ziploc bags. They come in handy for all sorts of things. I use the larger ones to put my wet swimsuit in if I need to change after an excurtion. They are also great for throwing all the dirty clothes in at the end of trip so I don't stink up luggage. I always travel with fabric sofener sheets for that reason also, plus they repel insects on the beach.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #681
pinkfairy1684
DIS Veteran

DH and I had our wedding in WDW on 10/24/11. We finished our amazing honeymoon with a 3-night cruise on the Dream. During the planning process, I found out that I could bring a pillowcase/photo mat on-board and ask the CMs to have the characters sign them. Well, DH said, "why don't we have them sign one of those special platters so we can display it when we get home?". So that's what we did! I had a custom made platter painted with our logo, names, and wedding date. When we got on the ship, I went to guest services (armed with bags of candy for the lovely and helpful CMs) and asked if they would arrange for signatures. And this is what they gave us on the last night! Isn't it amazing? Oh, even the captain signed it!

pinkfairy1684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #682
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

I'm sure this has been posted before, but if not, or anyone missed it, when you purchase the photos onboard you can get a release to have them reprinted so you can do your x-mas cards at home, make reprints for family or whatever!!

Just go to https://www.image.com/html/post_cruise.html, but it's only good for 30 days!!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #683
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescuetink View Post
I'm sure this has been posted before, but if not, or anyone missed it, when you purchase the photos onboard you can get a release to have them reprinted so you can do your x-mas cards at home, make reprints for family or whatever!!

Just go to https://www.image.com/html/post_cruise.html, but it's only good for 30 days!!!
Ohhh, I never knew this! 5 cruises and I always just purchased the CD so I had it. Duh!!
Old 11-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #684
richmo
DIS Veteran

Didn't read thru this whole thread, but have a few unofficial tips:

- On the day you set sail, try to get to the port early. You get on the ship earlier, which means you can have a nice lunch that you wouldn't get if you arrive closer to sailing time. Plus it gives you a little time to get to know the ship before you unpack; maybe even use the pool, if you're so inclined. Only drawback: you can't get into your room until early afternoon (1:30/2:00), so you'll need to carry a small bag around.
- If you don't have small kids, take the late dinner seating. That way you won't have to rush back from port adventures to make your dinner seating, especially Castaway Cay day.
- Unless you want to, don't feel obligated to pay for a huge beach related excursion in Nassau. Chances are you'll be on Castaway Cay the next (or previous) day and that's the beach adventure of a lifetime.
- Especially if you do have the early seating, you'll get an insanely early breakfast time on debarkation morning. And, to add to that, you'll wind up sitting in a lounge for awhile waiting for your luggage tag character to be called. Instead, skip the assigned breakfast and go to the buffet (Beach Blanket buffet on the Wonder, don't know the other ships) when you want. If you go about when the second seating folks are going to their assigned breakfast, you'll have a leisurely breakfast and by the time you're done, chances are all the luggage tags will have been called, so you can head on out.
- If you have four people, besides pricing out a single stateroom, price out two staterooms (you'll "officially" have to split the adults). Compared to the cost of the cruise, its surprisingly not much more expensive.
- If you do have two staterooms, you can all get keys to each others staterooms. Just go to Guest Relations after you board and they'll take care of it.
- Passporter guide is probably the best source of info, especially for first time cruisers, but read below if you're going to Alaska.

A few tips for Alaska cruisers:
- On Tracy Arm day, the decks get packed mid-morning, several hours before you head into Tracy Arm. People reserve deck chairs, etc. But, guess what? The ship heads out of Tracy Arm the same way it went in, so the view is identical. Once the ship turns around, the decks empty. On the return, you can practically have the whole deck to yourself and see the same thing.
- Also for Tracy Arm, even if its a warm day, bring a jacket with you. The temperature drop is considerable as the ship goes into the arm (seems like a 20 degree drop or more).
- Don't overpack. T-shirts are really inexpensive at the Alaska ports...usually less than $10 (even for long-sleeve) and are of a decent quality. Even if you forget a fleece jacket, you can pick up a decent one in any of the ports for around $20. Plenty of selection of raincoats too.
- Many of the Alaskan souvenir stands sell something called an ulu, which is a semi-circular knife (look it up on wikipedia if you like). Problem is: you can't bring it back on the ship. Solution: let Disney confiscate it, they'll give you a claim ticket and you can pick it back up after you disembark.
- Passporter guide is pretty much useless for Alaska. Huge disappointment. I think their Alaskan coverage could be why they stopped putting the year on the cover. It wasn't published until about a month before the Alaskan cruises ended for 2011 and had very little useful information on the ports and less on port adventures. The port adventures, for the most part, aren't new -- they're the same ones offered to other ships, so the information is out there, just not in the Passporter.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #685
flick
Some girls are just born with pixie dust in their veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfairy1684 View Post
DH and I had our wedding in WDW on 10/24/11. We finished our amazing honeymoon with a 3-night cruise on the Dream. During the planning process, I found out that I could bring a pillowcase/photo mat on-board and ask the CMs to have the characters sign them. Well, DH said, "why don't we have them sign one of those special platters so we can display it when we get home?". So that's what we did! I had a custom made platter painted with our logo, names, and wedding date. When we got on the ship, I went to guest services (armed with bags of candy for the lovely and helpful CMs) and asked if they would arrange for signatures. And this is what they gave us on the last night! Isn't it amazing? Oh, even the captain signed it!

This is incredible! I would love to have something like this done for my DH for our anniversary, where did you get the plate made?
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #686
Debers17
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick View Post
This is incredible! I would love to have something like this done for my DH for our anniversary, where did you get the plate made?
I was thinking the same thing. We will be celebrating our 10 yr anniversary when we cruise and I would like to have a cute keepsake like that just for us.

Cruised the Oct. 7, 2012 Dream sailing
Me DH Brian DS Noah (11) & DD Jenavieve (9)
BEST FAMILY VACATION EVER!!!
Debers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #687
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Ok, so we just off the Magic and I picked up a lot of great tips here, so THANK YOU ALL!!!

I will be on a mission before we cruise again in 2013 that I am going to go through every page of this thread and make a list of all of these great ideas!! I thought I had started one months ago, but I can't find it so I'll have to start over!! I figured that this may take a few months to do since there's so much here to list!!

If I ever get it done I'll let you all know so you can have a copy of it!!

PLEASE GO TO POST #721 ON PAGE #49 FOR A COPY OF THE LIST!! THANKS!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)

Last edited by rescuetink; 12-05-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #688
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, so we just off the Magic and I picked up a lot of great tips here, so THANK YOU ALL!!!

I will me on a mission before we cruise again in 2013 that I am going to go through every page of this thread and make a list of all of these great ideas!! I thought I had started one months ago, but I can't find it so I'll have to start over!! I figured that this may take a few months to do since there's so much here to list!!

Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #689
rescuetink

Mission Accomplished!!

Quote:

I will be on a mission before we cruise again in 2013 that I am going to go through every page of this thread and make a list of all of these great ideas!! I thought I had started one months ago, but I can't find it so I'll have to start over!! I figured that this may take a few months to do since there's so much here to list!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadekind View Post
Ok, so I was on a mission to get this done, and I did!! It's 26 pages long (with the font set at 10) and each thread page break is noted!! (I'm working on another for the tye-dye thread!!) This is complete to this point and I'll send it yo anyone that wants it!! There are a number of things that are repeated, as different DISers had a different opinion of certain things, or different experiences. I omitted anything that was just rehashed over and over as much as I could. There are a few posts by others in which they made a list of these secrets also, I have kept them a part of what I did in the event that anyone wanted to use just those!! I plan to just save this for myself and review it for our next cruise in 2013!!

Thank you all for these great tips, and I will periodically update it as new ideas and secrets are added!!

PLEASE GO TO POST #721 ON PAGE #49 WHERE YOU CAN GET A LINK TO THE LIST!!

Last edited by rescuetink; 12-05-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #690
GoHerd1028
DDC 172
"Insert clever tag fairy saying here"
You really think I'm clever?

Quote:
Ok, so I was on a mission to get this done, and I did!! It's 26 pages long (with the font set at 10) and each thread page break is noted!! (I'm working on another for the tye-dye thread!!) This is complete to this point and I'll send it yo anyone that wants it!! There are a number of things that are repeated, as different DISers had a different opinion of certain things, or different experiences. I omitted anything that was just rehashed over and over as much as I could. There are a few posts by others in which they made a list of these secrets also, I have kept them a part of what I did in the event that anyone wanted to use just those!! I plan to just save this for myself and review it for our next cruise in 2013!!

Thank you all for these great tips, and I will periodically update it as new ideas and secrets are added!!
I would love to have a copy of that when you get to a point that you are ready to send them out
DisDads Club Member #172
DH Steve (47) DW Shari (47) DS Ethan (9) DD Lauren (8)
GoHerd1028 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: