Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #616
purceller
Irish Papa Mouse

Passporter, well worth it, order directly from site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVP View Post
Where can I find this passporter book? Not on Disney site, that i can find, anyway . . .

Thx
S
You can order here: passporter.com/dcl/guidebook.asp

If you order directly from this site (rather than a third party site) you can download a .pdf version to read right away...AND...have access to an online copy to browse from anywhere at anytime. Cool eh

Also, if you are a member of their discussion board community, you get a nice discount on the book.

Hope that all helps
Eric
purceller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #617
purceller
Irish Papa Mouse

Dream & Fantasy included

Quote:
Originally Posted by candeeapril View Post
Does anyone have the newest edition of Passporter for Cruises? Does it include Dream? TIA
Better late than never I suppose. I can confirm that the Passporter have both Dream and Fantasy content, and quite detailed content at that. I am looking at the .pdf copy now, waiting for my hard copy to arrive in the mail. I've already red the .pdf copy, highly recommended, especially for first time cruisers like myself. So much to learn it appears for a first tme cruiser, if one wishes to get the most out of it. I keep telling folks they could have a night school class at your local community college for DCL

Eric
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #618
purceller
Irish Papa Mouse

Free Contact Cards - thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar136 View Post
You can make business cards and get them for free on vistaprint.com too! In case you don't want to waste all of your printer ink!
Thanks for that excellent tip re the free keep in touch / contact / business cards

What did you put on yours? Just family name and contact phone number or what?

Thanks
Eric
Old 09-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #619
purceller
Irish Papa Mouse

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
We saw our steward multiple times a day. By the end, I thought he was one of my kids. When I told him I really like the H2O products, he always left me extras.
I found out after we left the ship that the stewards are not paid a salary but rely ONLY on the tips they receive.
You have got to be kidding? They don't get paid a salary? I simply can't believe that to be true? Wow!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #620
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purceller View Post
You have got to be kidding? They don't get paid a salary? I simply can't believe that to be true? Wow!!!
Hmmm....my understanding is that they do get a rather tiny salary from DCL (we were told $50 per month). In addition, they get transportation home at the end of their contract and back to the ship to begin the next contract. One CM made a point of telling me that he got transportation "all the way home to my door" as opposed to a flight to the nearest city. Obviously they get all their costumes (work clothes) provided along with laundry of those clothes, room and board, and health insurance. Yes, the vast majority of their income is from tips. As one server (who has a Ph.D.) told me, he can make 4-5 times as much on the ship as he can "at home."

CMs who are in non-tipped positions do get a decent salary. I'm aware of one situation where a CM requested to move from a salaried position (one of the guys who paints the ship while in port and does repairs) to a room host position because he'd get more in tips than in salary.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #621
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
From what we were told by our Head Server, this is correct for the serving teams. I think it is also true for the room stewards (although not sure on them).

This is why when there are discussions on this board about not tipping, we think it's very harsh. These cast members work SO hard, are away from family, have to pay for phone calls home, and do their part to make our vacations wonderful and incredible. And they do it all for the tips. Only.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #622
purceller
Irish Papa Mouse

Awesome idea - thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisser View Post
I got these for our upcoming cruise in August and am delighted. It has a character (I chose Pluto, Belle, Ariel and Minnie) the name of the ship (Magic) above and the dates of the cruise underneath as well as the child's name, all embroidered
Thanks for the great idea, will order for sure.

Eric
Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #623
purceller
Irish Papa Mouse

Not tipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post
From what we were told by our Head Server, this is correct for the serving teams. I think it is also true for the room stewards (although not sure on them).

This is why when there are discussions on this board about not tipping, we think it's very harsh. These cast members work SO hard, are away from family, have to pay for phone calls home, and do their part to make our vacations wonderful and incredible. And they do it all for the tips. Only.

- Dreams
Given this information, why on earth would folks be discussing not tipping? To make a point to DCL and have them change their policy? If so, not tipping is not the right way to make a stand, in my opinion. Having heard this, I'd be more inclined to treat the CM's extra well, not hold back the tips they work hard for.

Thanks to all for everything that is posted here. If I enjoy my first cruise as much as I am enjoying planning for it, we'll have a blast

Cheers
Eric
Old 09-20-2011, 10:40 PM   #624
Clochette nordique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Given this information, why on earth would folks be discussing not tipping? To make a point to DCL and have them change their policy? If so, not tipping is not the right way to make a stand, in my opinion. Having heard this, I'd be more inclined to treat the CM's extra well, not hold back the tips they work hard for.
????????????

We cruised on the Dream for the first time in May 2011. I'm booked for a Bday cruise on the Wonder in Feb 2012 and again for family fun on (hopefully) the Fantasy in Dec 2012 to be reported in November 2013.

Since we have a child with lots of special needs, I read everything I could about cruising on this board for the last 2,5 years. And it's the first time I read about CMs not having a salary. Why is this info not out from DCL? I ALWAYS THOUGHT, (Maybe being Canadian makes a cultural difference, here) that like at home, they receive a decent-enough-salary-to-be-completed-by-the-tips. No? We did, leave the "suggested" tip on our cruise. But I think the servers worked for more than that! We also brought fruits for our steward every day since I read before the trip that they don't really have access to it. But no salary?

Well, why don't DCL just charge more to include staff salaries, then?

Would any complain with DCL help? Or is it just a word to spread so people would know? But how many cruisers read this blog? In May, there was only 14 rooms in our Thread Meet. Not a lot compared to the guests that filled the Dream... So, how would the rest of the 4000ish people on the boat know?

Sorry, it's just too much for my "innocence" of the things of the world, I guess...

Anyway, Poussière de fée!

sniff, sniff, no ticker! .... oops, just for now, since DH asked me when I would go back.........

DLParis - Août 2017 ; DCL-Magic Greece - Août 2017
WDW-POR - Novembre 2013 ; DCL-Fantasy Western Caribbean - Novembre 2013
DL-Paradise Pier - Février 2012 ; DCL-Wonder Mexican Riviera - Février 2012
WDW-Poly - Mai 2011 ; DCL-Dream Bahamas - Mai 2011
Clochette nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #625
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams View Post

- Dreams
I found out this information, after we disembarked, from the parent of a CM. I also learned that DCL takes very seriously, the comments and ratings on the comment card. If your server (wait staff/steward) gets anything less than an excellent, it is not taken lightly.
These CMs work very hard, 7 days a week, LONG hours, for months on end. I was reluctant to leave the suggested tip, because my vacation cost so much to begin with, but now I know to reward them for their service. My steward was awesome, and he got extra treats from us.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #626
sssteele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
The cruise specific pins we purchase usually end of with the other "treasures" we bring home, along with the memory pictures we purchase. I picked up inexpensive frames and mats from Michael's and made some of my favorite decorations. I have them hanging in my hall and everytime I walk by them I remember our wonderful trip and think about our next cruise.

Wow! These are great, but can't imagine what they would look like if I tried something similar. You did a beautiful job.

Last edited by sssteele; 09-21-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: oops
sssteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:14 AM   #627
miss missy
Is this the Dis Board Desperate Housewives Lane?
Will not be playing any reindeer games!
I was so freakin freaked out!

great thread!! thx
Old 09-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #628
Queen of Oakville
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Hmmm....my understanding is that they do get a rather tiny salary from DCL (we were told $50 per month). In addition, they get transportation home at the end of their contract and back to the ship to begin the next contract. One CM made a point of telling me that he got transportation "all the way home to my door" as opposed to a flight to the nearest city. Obviously they get all their costumes (work clothes) provided along with laundry of those clothes, room and board, and health insurance. Yes, the vast majority of their income is from tips. As one server (who has a Ph.D.) told me, he can make 4-5 times as much on the ship as he can "at home."

CMs who are in non-tipped positions do get a decent salary. I'm aware of one situation where a CM requested to move from a salaried position (one of the guys who paints the ship while in port and does repairs) to a room host position because he'd get more in tips than in salary.

This is all off-topic on this thread ... but on our last RCCL cruise, I noticed several front-line workers wearing braces (in fact, a large majority). I'm guessing "Dental" is now being offer too as a perk to keep good employees.

Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Queen of Oakville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #629
valbob89
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssteele View Post
Wow! These are great, but can't imagine what they would look like if I tried something similar. You did a beautiful job.
Thanks - wish they looked good because I have talent but that is not the case. The one with the ship I bought onboard, it came with the matting. I picked up a frame at Michael's that had the glass in it. I just stuck the pins around the picture on the matt that came with it and stuck it in the frame. The one with our picture, one of the waiters took it with our camera so we didn't even have to buy it. I cut the cruise info off one of the many bulletins they give out on the ship. The matt came with the frame, again from Michael's. Stuck the gift with purchase pins on the matt. No talent.
valbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #630
sssteele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbob89 View Post
Thanks - wish they looked good because I have talent but that is not the case. The one with the ship I bought onboard, it came with the matting. I picked up a frame at Michael's that had the glass in it. I just stuck the pins around the picture on the matt that came with it and stuck it in the frame. The one with our picture, one of the waiters took it with our camera so we didn't even have to buy it. I cut the cruise info off one of the many bulletins they give out on the ship. The matt came with the frame, again from Michael's. Stuck the gift with purchase pins on the matt. No talent.
Very clever. Thanks for sharing the info.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: