Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #511
VKtravel
Mouseketeer

MBB, Thanks for this great summary! I am going to be soooo prepared! I can't wait!

MEDH , DD (9) DD (7)
VKtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #512
IlliniAmy
Smarter than I look ;)

CopaDave, you reminded me about the luggage tags - I had totally forgotten about those! I totally agree that you should use the tags they give you, but on every cruise I've been on, they've had extras of all the characters available by Guest Services on the last night. So, if your assigned character isn't your favorite just go get some of the one you prefer! (But DO NOT use any tags other than your assigned ones for your luggage or you might not find it!) I got extra Captain Mickey tags and put one on my suitcase after the cruise - makes me smile every time I see it!
IlliniAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #513
mbb
Wishin' & Clappin' & always Believin!
Traumatized by Neil Diamond lyrics as a child
Enjoys the "night sparkles"

Thanks CopaDave and IlliniAmy... I will change the tags one-I just can't figure out how to edit on my iPad

Hope the list helps

Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #514
tikimimi
Pixie - Sgt. at Arms of the Pancake Sisters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbb View Post
OK...so here's what I've got so far, thanks to all of you

UPDATED June 6/2011 And more!!!

MBB - YOu can still use pre-printed stickers (like address labels) on your luggage tags, and it will save you time. You simply put the label on the back of the luggage tag DCL provides. That last night, you will be tired, but you will want to get everything you can out of your fabulous trip and having the label saves filling out those tags by hand.

I would also suggest bringing cash (I might have missed this on your list) on Castaway Cay to mail any post cards you want to send from there. The post office only takes cash. We printed address labels for our post cards too - for the people to whom we wanted to send them. That way we didn't have to carry the address book and could buy the cards on board or use the ones in our stateroom.

I always carry a small clear cosmetic bag (clear so you can see everything in it easily) filled with things that might come in handy. It doesn't take much room, and I saved someone's luggage once because I had duct tape. IN that little bag I carry the duct tape, a small sewing kit, highlighters (for the Navigators), post-it notes (to leave for family or friends or your steward if you need to request something), string, rubber bands, paper clips, and a pair of small scissors. The only thing we have ever had a steward even hesitate to bring us was a pair of scissors.

On the subject of your steward - do not underestimate how helpful this person can be. We have always felt they would do whatever possible to make our trip more enjoyable. Whether a shirt needed pressing (a small charge) or needing some extra items or those scissors - our stewards have always tried to meet our requests.

Another tip - we made "business cards" with our personal contact info. We knew before we left that there were people we had met on the DIS that we wanted to keep up with, so we figured we would meet others with whom we wanted to maintain contact. Having those little cards made is easier to trade information with our new friends.

Our suitcases fit under our bed once we lifted it a little, and that left more room in the cabin. There is a small clothesline in the shower, but we found those Command hooks that are removable and leave no damage would also work to help string up a second one. If I had plenty of room in my suitcase (ha!) I'd take a folding drying rack for bathing suits and cover-ups.

Rebook on board for extra discounts and OBCs.

Have a lovely time!

tikimimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #515
Doingitagain
DIS Veteran

This isn't a "secret", but a suggestion. When on a DCL excursion, put your character sticker on a backpack or underneath something. We came back from a great cruise in the Med, and all our photos had the stickers on them!
Aulani 3/2013
Saratoga 6/2006, 10/2008, 7/2009, 12/2009, 12/2014
AK Jambo 3/2012, 7/2014
Boardwalk 12/2014
Royal Garden London 7/2007, 7/2010
Mandarin Oriental Wash DC 4/2007
Grand Calif 7/2005
Doingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #516
melmar136
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikimimi View Post
MBB - Another tip - we made "business cards" with our personal contact info. We knew before we left that there were people we had met on the DIS that we wanted to keep up with, so we figured we would meet others with whom we wanted to maintain contact. Having those little cards made is easier to trade information with our new friends.
You can make business cards and get them for free on vistaprint.com too! In case you don't want to waste all of your printer ink!
melmar136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 PM   #517
Meskamooska
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanie.cadell View Post
Hey neighbor! Thanks for the congrats! It's coming soon! We'll be on the Wonder for our honeymoon starting 10/30. In fact, we planned our wedding date around the cruise.. Clearly we've got our priorities straight! I'm in Upland all the time! How funny!!...
Hi Again,

Thanks for the info. It is appreciated. I think I will stick with cash for anyone who I want to reward in some tangible way. That and perhaps a guest compliment if the action warrants it. I know that when I worked at the park (Disneyland ages ago it seems :-) those were worth more than gold. I am betting that they are similarly valued on the ship.

Thanks again for your help.

Take care, help lots of people and have a "Wonder"ful day!

Tisza
Tisza (Me :-)) DH Mel, DCL "Magic" 7/2/05 The Mexican Rivera, "Wonder" 7/19/11 Alaska, Aulani! 3/17 - 3/24/12, WDW Mystery trip late 2012 or early 2013, Pacific Coast Repo 5/20/13, and DL more times than I can count!
Former CM at DL and also Walt Disney Studios in Burbank and Imagineering

- Insert really cool looking trip ticker here -
Meskamooska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #518
PRCMickey
Earning My Ears

mbb thanks for the summary. It so great to read all the tips. We have been on one cruise but still didn't know about a lot of the tip, tricks, and secrets!! I can't wait until August!
AS Music 1998, WDW (marching band) 2000, WDW (Choir-Magic Music Days) 2001, AS Sports (engagement trip) June 2006, POFQ/Disney Cruise (Honeymoon) June 2008 (Became DVC members at sea), Saratoga Oct. 2008, Disneyland (Paradise Pier)Aug. 2009, AK Villas Oct. 2009, Villas at Wilderness Lodge Oct. 2010, D23 Expo/ Disneyland Aug. 2011, Disney Wonder to Alaska Aug. 2011
PRCMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #519
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar136 View Post
You can make business cards and get them for free on vistaprint.com too! In case you don't want to waste all of your printer ink!
You will pay shipping, but still overall usually less than buying the business card paper and ink yourself.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #520
SueRS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmar136 View Post
We added a pictures of us on the card, so that the name goes with the person.
Next Trip: 12/31/2011

SueRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #521
rosiep
I don't drink, I try to convert people to nudism!
while it was a beautiful experience it was a slurge
I'm one of those people who need coffee just so I can make coffee

Crazy Question: How do you know who your steward is? How would you contact him if you needed to?

My one and only cruise I never ever saw the person who cared for our room.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #522
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiep View Post
Crazy Question: How do you know who your steward is? How would you contact him if you needed to?

On every DCL we've done, the room steward introduced himself when we first entered the room. On the Dream, he showed us how the lights and such worked with the key card. I'll admit, we never saw him again until the last night, but if you need to find yours, you can ask any of the others who you may see in the hall if they can call the room attendent for cabin ####.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #523
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiep View Post

We saw our steward multiple times a day. By the end, I thought he was one of my kids. When I told him I really like the H2O products, he always left me extras.
I found out after we left the ship that the stewards are not paid a salary but rely ONLY on the tips they receive.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #524
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

Rosie, if you use your wave phone, there is a direct line to housekeeping, and if I am correct, it will actually ring the steward, but call between 8 an 2 or after 6pnm. They usually have a break from 2 to 6. There is also a button on the regular phone next to the bed for housekeeping.

Some of them are pretty tricky and seem to appear and work only when you are gone! You will see the person eventually because you will have to sign for your Castaway Club gift, you know the one that is waiting for you when you get to your room.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #525
mfantasia
Earning My Ears

About the Tea with Alice (or whoever is hosting) you should get the tickets first thing after embarkation, in the customer service counter. But, if you don't have them, you can go to the place where they are having the event and ask the CM if you can get in, I saw two families doing that when we were last year and they both were accepted. Just after everyone with tickets passed, they let them go.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: