Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 AM   #406
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorandNole View Post

It hangs from the fish next to your cabin door. People leave you gifts from your FE group usually organized on the Cruise Meet Thread for your cruise.
Cute one - Gradysmommy? I just finished sewing mine a couple of days ago. While I think it is the cutest I've seen (IMO) I see why she charges what she does! It was a lot of work. I just ordered my pillow case from her.
And, I got the signature matte from Walmart for $6. It's huge, and I'm wondering how I'm going to transport it. I'm hoping I can find a smaller one before I leave in 18 days on my 10 night MR!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #407
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzuhouse View Post
I'm trying to read through this entire thread, but it's taking a while and I'm taking notes as I go.

Someone mentioned signing up for the least favorite restaurant for the first night so that you wouldn't have to do that one twice.

We are going on the Dream in February and it has Animator's Palate, Cabanas, Enchanted Garden, and Royal Palace. The other's are adult only. We'll be traveling with our boys, 12 and 10. Having never cruised before, is there a certain one that would be best for our family? Do characters show up? Specifically Peter Pan and Pluto? I would love Dopey!

When do we choose the restaurant we want to eat at first? On board?

Thanks in advance!

Mary

Like another poster stated, your dining rotation is assigned. If you are doing a 3 night cruise, you will be assigned dinner in each of the dining rooms : 1 night in Animators Palate, 1 night in Enchanted Garden, and 1 night in Royal Palace. You only get a repeat of resturants if you are doing a 4 night cruise and even then on one night you may physically be in the same resturant, the menu will be the pirate night menu. If you dont like your rotation, once you are onboard you can go to guest services and see if it can be changed, no guarantees but you can try.

There arent any characters at the meals but there are tons of opportunities to see the characters around the ship. Sometimes they are scheduled to be at a certain place for pictures and stuff and sometimes they are just walking around... you just never know who you might bump into...

Cabanas is buffet type for breakfast and lunch. And they are doing something new on the Dream for dinner where it is more casual, but you are seated and served just like in the main dining rooms with some items from the main dining rooms and some from the buffet type foods. I am cruising on the Dream in October 2011 so I dont have personal experience with this one but just what I have read. I would think this would be a good option for families with small children or if you want more flexibility in your dining times or dont want a "fancy" dinner.

Another option for the kids is for them to eat in the Kid's clubs. They offer a buffet of kid friendly cuisine at a certain time... 5:45, I think. And your kids can eat dinner there and continue with activities as well.

I would suggest, taking a look at the menus, see what appeals to you and your family and then decide what would work best. Try these websites:
http://www.*******************/food.htm or the disney cruise line website, or allears.net

Just so you ... if you want 2 appetizers, you can get 2, if you want 2 entrees , you can get 2. One night on the Wonder, I didnt want an appetizer, so I got a soup and a salad from the "soup and salad" selection. My husband couldnt decided between beef or duck... so the server brought him both.... not just a taste, but a full entree of both.... he had never had duck and ended up liking it very much. My 14 yo daughter gave escargot a try... she put one in her mouth and did swallow it but it ended up being escar..NOT! Point is, this is a great opportunity to try something new. To get dressed up for dinner if you choose, and to have a wonderful family memory.

The thing I like most about cruising for my family..... is it forces family time. For us it is a "no phone zone", and everyone is required to come to dinner... although .... if my kids were your kids ages, those kids club activities would be very tempting... I'm kinda short and wondered if I could sneek in to make Flubber !!!!

Read as much as you can so you can become familiar with what is offered, food and activities wise..... I will tell you that even armed with all this knowledge, you will feel overwhelmed, I know we did. I felt like I was walking around with my mouth wide open most of the time. I cant wait to go back and experience the magic of a Disney cruise again.

Hope this helps.

Robin
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2011, 07:15 PM   #408
j0ey
Earning My Ears

Thanks for sharing, all!

(subsrcibing)
j0ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #409
GatorandNole
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susiesark View Post
Cute one - Gradysmommy? I just finished sewing mine a couple of days ago. While I think it is the cutest I've seen (IMO) I see why she charges what she does! It was a lot of work. I just ordered my pillow case from her.
And, I got the signature matte from Walmart for $6. It's huge, and I'm wondering how I'm going to transport it. I'm hoping I can find a smaller one before I leave in 18 days on my 10 night MR!
Yes it is from Gradysmommy. I found signture mats at Michaels. They had 3 sizes and they come in black and white. Check Michaels.com for coupons. This week the coupon is 25% off the entire purchase.

Gator
DVC Member since 2003 BCV and SS

1973 - 1993 Offsite 10+ times; 1991 All Star Music;
1999 Offsite; 2000 All Star Movies; 2001 -2003 Coronado Springs, Carribbean Beach, Port Orleans French Quarter, Contemporary, Yacht Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2004 BCV, OKW, Boardwalk; 2005 BCV, OKW; 2006 BCV; 2007 BCV, SS; 2008 BCV, SS; 2009 SS, Kidani Village; 2009 Disney Wonder - 1st Disney cruise (Thanksgiving); 2010 SS, OKW; BCV; 2011 SS, OKW, Kidani, Disney Dream, THV, Polynesian; 2012 THV, OKW, BCV, Polynesian; 2013 FWV, THV, BCV; 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Disney Half Marathon; 2012, 2013 Disney Family 5K; 2008, 2009 Race for the Taste 10K; 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013 Princess Half Marathon; 2009 Tower of Terror 13K; 2010 Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon
GatorandNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #410
Artmomdawn
Wishes do come true

Thanks for the great tips!!!
Artmomdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #411
kato0627
DIS Veteran

Gatorandnole~
What is a signature mat?? Is is different than just a normal picture mat?
thank so much
Karen
Old 03-31-2011, 11:41 PM   #412
Shanny145
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato0627 View Post
Gatorandnole~
What is a signature mat?? Is is different than just a normal picture mat?
thank so much
Karen
wider sides.... but a normal picture mat works just as well
Old 04-01-2011, 02:04 AM   #413
SmilingGrump
Dis Dads Club Member #584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
wondered if I could sneek in to make Flubber !!!!
^ I agree! When I took a tour of the kids' areas I REALLY wanted to sneak in but I figured they'd spot the goatee and give me the boot
DL '77, DW '79, DW '00, DW '01, DW '06, Magic '08, DW '08, DW '09, Wonder '10, DW '10, Wonder '11, Aulani '12, DDC#1 (WDW '13)

me DW DD DD
SmilingGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #414
mrsdavies2be
Earning My Ears

I'm loving these ideas!! They're great!! I've never been on a cruise, let alone a disney cruise before and I'm actually getting married on the it!! We're getting married Jan 28, 2012 (Jan 26-29 cruise). And these are wonderful ideas to do something together with our guests/have souvenirs!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #415
candeeapril
Disney is my happy thought...now if I could only fly

We will be first time cruisers going on dream Nov-13 for 4 nights. can't wait to learn all the I can by then. My biggest concern is the weather. In the middle of Nov. will it still be warm enough to enjoy the pools and slids? Also, we booked just last week and only second dining is available, and with 3 kids is there anywhere to get some snacks to keep them happy until dinner? TIA

candeeapril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #416
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by candeeapril View Post
We will be first time cruisers going on dream Nov-13 for 4 nights. can't wait to learn all the I can by then. My biggest concern is the weather. In the middle of Nov. will it still be warm enough to enjoy the pools and slids? Also, we booked just last week and only second dining is available, and with 3 kids is there anywhere to get some snacks to keep them happy until dinner? TIA
I dont know about the weather but I'm thinking it should be warm enough. I know I have friends that have sailed in Feb and their kids swam in the pools on the ship. Now the ocean was chilly but some people got in.

As far as snacks for the kids before dinner.... LOTS of options.....

First you could always do room service. Room service is included in your cruise fare (except for wine, beer, and movie candy packages). All that is requested is a gratuity for the person delivering your food.

Another option is the "Flo's V-8 Cafe" up on deck 11 by the pools.
Lots of info here: http://allears.net/cruise/ships/dream/disneydream.htm
Old 04-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #417
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzuhouse View Post
I'm trying to read through this entire thread, but it's taking a while and I'm taking notes as I go.

Someone mentioned signing up for the least favorite restaurant for the first night so that you wouldn't have to do that one twice.

We are going on the Dream in February and it has Animator's Palate, Cabanas, Enchanted Garden, and Royal Palace. The other's are adult only. We'll be traveling with our boys, 12 and 10. Having never cruised before, is there a certain one that would be best for our family? Do characters show up? Specifically Peter Pan and Pluto? I would love Dopey!

When do we choose the restaurant we want to eat at first? On board?

Thanks in advance!

Mary
Hi Mary,
Me again....

Found this link and thought it might help in your planning....

http://allears.net/cruise/ships/dream/disneydream.htm
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #418
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Any more great secrets???

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #419
disfunfor3
Earning My Ears

PassPorter!

Check out the Disney PassPorter site. They have lots of tips, some for general traveling, some for specific types of traveling. It's been very helpful and our cruise isn't for a year. And they are having a contest right now to win an iPad loaded with their e-books. The contest ends May 1. Google Disney PassPorter and you'll find the site.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #420
sunkisser
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billinaz View Post
I got these from EBAY. She did a great job on my request to put the Name of the ship above a DCL logo then the cruise dates below.

Came out great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220729526688
I got these for our upcoming cruise in August and am delighted. It has a character (I chose Pluto, Belle, Ariel and Minnie) the name of the ship (Magic) above and the dates of the cruise underneath as well as the child's name, all embroidered
sunkisser is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: