Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #1861
Mazz519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
Speaking of Sail Away...

Just recently off a 4 day Dream cruise. Went off to find my wife a sail away drink (in a souvenir plastic cup no less)... I get accused of drinking hers so i got 2... $22 later...

Anyways literally 10 mins later, they couldnt give them away! 2 for 1! $5! so a hint would be just chill and wait until the middle of the party and get yours 2 for 1 or 1/2 price
Same thing happened to me on the Fantasy in July…Definitely wait !!!
Mazz519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #1862
ChristyBrown
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapunzelFloyd View Post
I was thinking about bringing one photo mat and two pillowcases, it is my hubby's 30th surprise trip to go on Dream in June. So I wanted a frame to get a birthday picture of him, then two pillowcases (one for each of us), would that be an issue? Also the free drinks and stuff, I am so lost. I thought the cruise was all inclusive. What do you pay for? We don't drink alcohol, so I don't have to worry about this. But I am lost, I thought we didn't pay for any food or drinks, can someone clarify what we pay for so I am not caught off guard. Help!
If it is just the two of you traveling, they limit the number of items you are having signed to 2. They only make exceptions if you have more than two children in your stateroom. My husband and I traveled just the two of us and we took 3 pillowcases. They would only take 2 of them when we arrived. We were on a 7 night cruise and the two cases were returned to us on the second night signed, so I took the third down after they returned the other two and they ended up signing it as well. I don't know if that was a fluke since it appears that you normally will not get your signed items until the last night. I had begged them at guest services to take all three the first day and they refused, so this is how we got around it. Not sure if it would work out that way every time though. Good luck!
ChristyBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #1863
RapunzelFloyd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyBrown View Post
If it is just the two of you traveling, they limit the number of items you are having signed to 2. They only make exceptions if you have more than two children in your stateroom. My husband and I traveled just the two of us and we took 3 pillowcases. They would only take 2 of them when we arrived. We were on a 7 night cruise and the two cases were returned to us on the second night signed, so I took the third down after they returned the other two and they ended up signing it as well. I don't know if that was a fluke since it appears that you normally will not get your signed items until the last night. I had begged them at guest services to take all three the first day and they refused, so this is how we got around it. Not sure if it would work out that way every time though. Good luck!
Well I will just go with one photo mat and a pillowcase, we can save it for when we have kids and put it in their room. It is only a four day cruise, so I don't know if I would have the time to try to get the other one signed. Oh well.

Check out my blogwww.rapunzelscrafts.weebly.com
DLR- 31st birthday & proposal- August 2011
WDW-AOA- 1 year Anniversary- March 2013
DLP- September 2013
Disneyworld Beach Club and First Dream Cruise- June 2014
RapunzelFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #1864
snchpnz
Mouseketeer

All this talk about tipping for room service. You can just write the tip on the receipt and it goes to the person bringing you the food, right? That's what I did. I hate to think I stiffed them.
snchpnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:28 PM   #1865
SG101
Mouseketeer

Drinks are free on Captains night out in the lobby.
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Mexican Riviera April 2011
* Disney Fantasy 7 Days Western Caribbean Feb 2013
* Disney Wonder 7 Days Alaska June 2014 (We're finally Gold!!!)
* Disney Wonder 5 Days San Diego October 2015
SG101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #1866
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snchpnz View Post
All this talk about tipping for room service. You can just write the tip on the receipt and it goes to the person bringing you the food, right? That's what I did. I hate to think I stiffed them.
I was informed by a rather snippy CM delivering our room service that cash is preferred. He was the only unfriendly CM we encountered the entire cruise. I would have tipped $5 but gave him $2 cash instead.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #1867
RapunzelFloyd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post
I was informed by a rather snippy CM delivering our room service that cash is preferred. He was the only unfriendly CM we encountered the entire cruise. I would have tipped $5 but gave him $2 cash instead.
he should be lucky you gave him that with that attitude, don't we all think Disney is supposed to be magic? I am glad he was the only unfriendly one

Check out my blogwww.rapunzelscrafts.weebly.com
DLR- 31st birthday & proposal- August 2011
WDW-AOA- 1 year Anniversary- March 2013
DLP- September 2013
Disneyworld Beach Club and First Dream Cruise- June 2014
RapunzelFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:08 AM   #1868
NJ911Emerg
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazz519 View Post
. This is good to know. I still have the cup from my first cruise. Loving all the ideas and the helpful hints. (In)patiently waiting for my August 23rd, 2014 trip on the Fantasy!
NJ911Emerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:26 AM   #1869
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Regarding the room service tip; I tell them when ordering if they want a tip, bring a slip. I do this because some report they got no slip.
With a slip you can add a tip, sign, and it will be charged to your onboard account.

The other debate is whether the delivery person keeps all the tip if on a slip. It may be pooled. But may keep it all, if not on a slip. (cash) Well at least keeps more.
ETA; That may explain the preference for cash from the delivery CM.

The debate goes on, well .... at least in my mind.

Last edited by Bear3412; 01-10-2014 at 12:34 AM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 AM   #1870
MDennis28
Mouseketeer

I have heard that if u tip in cash, delivery person keeps it all. If u sign the slip and add it to your room bill, the delivery person shares it with the person you spoke with on the phone to place your order.
MDennis28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #1871
yvetticonfetti
Disneyland is the happiest place on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by valee
And for those newbies, there's apparently a charge for smoothies. Although why you would want a smoothie when there's Mickey bars available in exchange for a room service tip...

Edited: I can mangle a sentence - I meant to convey that the info in my message was for newbies, not that only newbies are charged for smoothies. That would really be an ugly secret.
I heard smoothies are free at certain places & kids clubs. Is that true?

Disneyland (numerous times since a child in 1970s up through 2004)

California Adventure (1996, 2001, 2004)

Disneyworld (1983 & 2009)
Celebrity Meridian 10 day Ultimate Caribbean Nov. 1996
Disney Cruise (1st one 4/26/14 on Fantasy)
yvetticonfetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #1872
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvetticonfetti View Post
I heard smoothies are free at certain places & kids clubs. Is that true?
I can say that during the 'smoothie hour' at the teen club (Vibe) my daughter was able to try many different flavored smoothies and there was no charge. Make sure your teens ask for it on the first night while they are deciding on activities.

debsters41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #1873
joycsk
Red's my girl

Waiting for sail away drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazz519 View Post
Just be aware that your drink will be melted and watery. That is part of why they go down in price. I've read the general tip on Never taking a drink from a passing server and always going to get them from the bar. If you get it from a deck server with a tray, the drinks are not so "fresh."
Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #1874
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
Regarding the room service tip; I tell them when ordering if they want a tip, bring a slip. I do this because some report they got no slip.
With a slip you can add a tip, sign, and it will be charged to your onboard account.

The other debate is whether the delivery person keeps all the tip if on a slip. It may be pooled. But may keep it all, if not on a slip. (cash) Well at least keeps more.
ETA; That may explain the preference for cash from the delivery CM.

The debate goes on, well .... at least in my mind.
I had read the debate of signing the slip or tipping cash before we went, so I had a bunch of $1s and $5s just in case. The first couple of times we ordered room service they handed me a slip and I signed it, because we had a lot of stateroom credit to use up. I asked one young lady if it was better to sign the slip or tip cash, and she said whichever I preferred, and thanked me. When that guy came in he wasn't very friendly right off the bat. He didn't give me a slip. I asked if there was a slip for me to sign. He said something to the effect of "No. I would rather have cash." He didn't say it in a pleasant way. I wouldn't have minding him telling me the preference was for cash. He just wasn't nice about it.

Maybe he was just having a bad day.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #1875
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post
I had read the debate of signing the slip .....
Thanks for the expanded details. Yeah, could have been a bad day. We all have them.

What MDennis228 posted sounds familiar too, and I agree. And I feel that is why some pax say they don't always bring a slip. But I feel they do infact have a slip, likely required, some just act like they don't, so they can keep more tip. IMO
Of course some are more pleasant about it, and keep the difference to themselves.

Weird how we prefer to know all the intricacies involved behind the operational scenes. I do feel the majority want to know for the crews benefit though. IMO
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: