Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #1591
thepops
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBTomorrow View Post
Another cruise secret that worked for us on our recent cruise was Cabanas on disembarkation morning. We tried that tip this time and loved it. We have always disliked the breakfast in the MDRs the last day: rushed, grumpy-ish servers, pre-plated food. While it was not "advertised" that you could go to Cabanas, we just showed up there when we were ready and nobody questioned us. The food selection was better and we could go at our own pace. I will do this from now on!
Strange.... We did the MDR for both cruises and didn't feel rushed at all. In fact both our regular and assistant waiters were there and took great care of us. No pre-plated food, it was a buffet. Maybe not a big as what Cabanas usually has, but more than enough selections for us to eat and then head out.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #1592
richmo
DIS Veteran

Any server will tell you that disemb/embarkation day is the most stressful for them, and the longest. On our two cruises, we went to the main dining room for breakfast the last day and had our usual server. He was very cordial and efficient. While I wouldn't say we were rushed, don't expect the "above and beyond" service you might get the rest of the cruise. Everyone at DCL, including the servers, want you off that ship as quickly as possible, so they can get it ready for the next cruise just a few hours later. You say your goodbyes to your serving staff the night before...pretty much the same to the stateroom staff, now that I think about it.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #1593
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoSteelers View Post
That plate idea is awesome. Looking around I also found this one...
Animator's Palette Appetizer Plate - Disney Cruise Line
Very nice and a DCL item and also one of our favorite restaurants.

Sells for $21.95
http://www.disneystore.com/animators...18967/1000352/
Love this plate!! But their sold out with no ondication as to when they'll have them again!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #1594
barbmouse
Thanks for your support!! I have met the nicest people here!! I guess the really grouchy people wouldn't be avid Mickey fans, now would they??
Dole Whip It Good

This is a great thread!! subbing
Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #1595
ahain
Thankful & Blessed

Things I didn't know I didn't know

We're very new to cruising - taking our cirst cruise on DCL last October (3 night Bahamas). We enjoyed it so much that we're scheduled a 7 night Eastern Caribbean in April, 2014. Interestingly, MOST of the secrets that I have learned so far, I still didn't know about after we disembarked. It was not until I found the DISboards forum that I come to know of many of these tidbits:

I didn't know:
- that room service was available without extra charge (except gratuity)
- that you could eat breakfast and lunch in main dining rooms (MDR) without making any reservations - we always just assumed those meals had to be at the on-deck buffet!
- that you could bring pillow cases, plates, etc., along with markers, to guest services when you get on the ship and have the characters sign them
- about Fish Extenders (FE) - they sound like so much fun! We're already planning our homemade gifts!
- about door decorating and that there are wonderful, talented designers (DISigners) on DISboards that will make name-fills, signs, luggage tags, etc. for travelers for FREE

Yup - I'm a cruise newbie and I'm a little embarassed that I didn't learn about these things earlier on....thanks for all the wonderful tips!
Disney Wonder - Alaska - 6/2015 ......Disney Dream - 4 night Bahamas - 4/2015...Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2014...Disney Fantasy - 7 night Eastern Caribbean - 4/2014 .....Disney Dream - 3 night Bahamas - 10/2012
ahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #1596
TexMomma
Faith, Trust, & Pixie Dust

New to the DCL board, going on the Wonder out of Galveston 11-16-13. What are Fish Extenders?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #1597
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMomma View Post
New to the DCL board, going on the Wonder out of Galveston 11-16-13. What are Fish Extenders?
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...81&postcount=2

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #1598
PoohJen
Willing to share a Mickey Bar?
I brought it with me everywhere on my Disney cruise
Quick, get to the hammock!- Castaway Cay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMomma View Post
Hey TexMomma, welcome to the DIS! Have you seen this thread especially for your 11/16 sail date? http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=46910567

My favorite tip of all time is to bring an "over the door shoe holder". So handy for all the little things - sunblock, sunglasses, lipbalm, hair brush, dollar bills, camera. More of a "tip" than a "cruise secret".

Best cruise secret - we have always brought our own rolling cooler with bottled water, wine, beer - just don't fill it with ice prior to boarding. The room stewards have always kept it filled with ice for us - without us even asking! I need to find out if this (bringing stocked cooler onboard) is still allowed!
MNSSHP '04, '05, '06 MVMCP '07 and a few All Star quickies DCL Magic Nov '04 Eastern Trip Report Magic Wstrn Dbl Dip Aug '06 Trip Report, Wonder Dec '07 Trip Report Magic Dble Dip Aug '09 Trip Report Wonder Feb '10 DCL Dream July '11, Aug '13
PoohJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #1599
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohJen View Post

Hey TexMomma, welcome to the DIS! Have you seen this thread especially for your 11/16 sail date? http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=46910567

My favorite tip of all time is to bring an "over the door shoe holder". So handy for all the little things - sunblock, sunglasses, lipbalm, hair brush, dollar bills, camera. More of a "tip" than a "cruise secret".

Best cruise secret - we have always brought our own rolling cooler with bottled water, wine, beer - just don't fill it with ice prior to boarding. The room stewards have always kept it filled with ice for us - without us even asking! I need to find out if this (bringing stocked cooler onboard) is still allowed!
Those tips were both good ones in the past, but DCL has asked guests not to bring over the door hangers an more and they have been cracking down on rolling coolers. Even empty ones. Good thing this thread is here, though. I've heard some interesting alternatives to both, here and in other threads!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #1600
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Over the door shoe holders are no longer allowed on the ships b/c they ruin the doors.
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #1601
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahain View Post
We're very new to cruising - taking our cirst cruise on DCL last October (3 night Bahamas). We enjoyed it so much that we're scheduled a 7 night Eastern Caribbean in April, 2014. Interestingly, MOST of the secrets that I have learned so far, I still didn't know about after we disembarked. It was not until I found the DISboards forum that I come to know of many of these tidbits:

I didn't know:
- that room service was available without extra charge (except gratuity)
- that you could eat breakfast and lunch in main dining rooms (MDR) without making any reservations - we always just assumed those meals had to be at the on-deck buffet!
- that you could bring pillow cases, plates, etc., along with markers, to guest services when you get on the ship and have the characters sign them
- about Fish Extenders (FE) - they sound like so much fun! We're already planning our homemade gifts!
- about door decorating and that there are wonderful, talented designers (DISigners) on DISboards that will make name-fills, signs, luggage tags, etc. for travelers for FREE

Yup - I'm a cruise newbie and I'm a little embarassed that I didn't learn about these things earlier on....thanks for all the wonderful tips!
On the other hand, I bet you had a really good time doing the things you did do. You can't possibly do it all. I was on DIS before my first cruise and I was kind of going nuts with trying to figure out how to do everything. I decided I'd planned enough and just stopped worrying about it all. My daughter, a big Disney nut, didn't read much about the cruise at all and loved just being surprised as thing unfolded.

I do think DCL should have a newbie 'class' or handout to explain a few basics like going to GS if you need something or help, explain about the meals, explain about the muster drills.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #1602
TexMomma
Faith, Trust, & Pixie Dust

Thanks, PoohJen for the info about the other thread, and to everyone who explained about the FE's - that sounds like fun! We aren't first time cruisers, but this is our 1st DCL cruise. Soooo excited about it!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #1603
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Great thread! Can't wait to read through everything!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #1604
PoohJen
Willing to share a Mickey Bar?
I brought it with me everywhere on my Disney cruise
Quick, get to the hammock!- Castaway Cay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
Those tips were both good ones in the past, but DCL has asked guests not to bring over the door hangers an more and they have been cracking down on rolling coolers. Even empty ones. Good thing this thread is here, though. I've heard some interesting alternatives to both, here and in other threads!
Thanks, that's really helpful to know. Too bad about the shoe holders. They were infinitely helpful - we even keep one now on our laundry room door at home for all the "little" things you like to grab n go.

I was reading one of my past trip reports tonight, where I was reminded on at least one cruise, the porter took our cooler with our luggage.

why are they disallowing the coolers? are they still allowing you to bring your own water, beer, etc.? If not, it wouldn't really impact us, as we're not big drinkers, but it was a nice perk.

Man, you don't cruise for two whole years and everything changes....
MNSSHP '04, '05, '06 MVMCP '07 and a few All Star quickies DCL Magic Nov '04 Eastern Trip Report Magic Wstrn Dbl Dip Aug '06 Trip Report, Wonder Dec '07 Trip Report Magic Dble Dip Aug '09 Trip Report Wonder Feb '10 DCL Dream July '11, Aug '13
PoohJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #1605
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks, that's really helpful to know. Too bad about the shoe holders. They were infinitely helpful - we even keep one now on our laundry room door at home for all the "little" things you like to grab n go.

I was reading one of my past trip reports tonight, where I was reminded on at least one cruise, the porter took our cooler with our luggage.

why are they disallowing the coolers? are they still allowing you to bring your own water, beer, etc.? If not, it wouldn't really impact us, as we're not big drinkers, but it was a nice perk.

Man, you don't cruise for two whole years and everything changes....
The reason for the cooler thing was put forth as many of the privately owned coolers were leaking and causing water damage to the carpets/furniture in the rooms. As well as the numbers of people who were bringing said coolers poolside and to the beach at CC and serving alcoholic drinks out of them, which is a no-no. One note here, the "no coolers" restriction has been the policy for quite a while, but only been enforced since last Oct or so.

Yes, you may still bring onboard whatever (and how ever much) beverages as you wish (alcoholic, water, sodas, whatever), you just must bring in onboard in your carry on bags, not checked.

Oh, another thing, there are hooks on the walls (as well as the back of the bathroom doors) that the hanging organizers can be put on, you just need to figure out what kind of hanger you want to put on yours to use the hooks and not over the door.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: