Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #1576
disneydork3
Obsessed with Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mum from oz View Post
I just wanted to post a picture of what I had signed at guest services. It was a plate I got from WDW for $12.95. Guest services asked who I wanted to sign and I said as many as possible. She said usually they only do fab 5 or princesses but she would see what she could do. This is what came back to our stateroom. Admittedly it had Princess Tiana twice but I still love it.

Here is the LINK to the plate.

It looks great, but Princess Tiana should've let someone else sign it instead of signing twice. At least she used two different colors. I love the plate idea!

WDW = 1996 off property ~ 2000 off property ~ 2008 WL ~ 2009 POP ~ 2010 SSR and POP ~ 2011 off property ~ 2012 off property, POR and ASMusic ~ 2013 SSR ~ 2014 off property ~ 2015 SSR

DCL = 2012 DREAM Double Dip ~ 2014 MAGIC Southern Caribbean ~ 2015 FANTASY Western Caribbean

disneydork3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #1577
Robin"D"
DIS Veteran

VERY COOL We are Sooooooooo doing this, thank you for the link...Just ordered it!!!

Robin & Angel "D"

Quote:
I just wanted to post a picture of what I had signed at guest services. It was a plate I got from WDW for $12.95. Guest services asked who I wanted to sign and I said as many as possible. She said usually they only do fab 5 or princesses but she would see what she could do. This is what came back to our stateroom. Admittedly it had Princess Tiana twice but I still love it.

Polynesian: 1992
Dixie Landings: 1993
Shades of Green (opening weekend): 1994
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2004/ retired from U.S.Army
PO/ French Quarter: 2009 (became DVC owners BLT)Bay Lake Towers: 2010
Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village: DW 1st MVMCP DEC 2011/1st stay@ SSR/ taking Mom to her 1st MVMCP NOV 2012
DisneyLand: 1st Visit "EVER" / GC/ April 2012/ VWL SEPT '13/Jan '14 GFV: Animal Kingdom 1BR/FEB'14 [before the Dream Cruise]
NOV '14 SSR/ DW 1st visit [heading to Podcast 5.0] After PODCAST 5:Coronado Springs DEC '14
DCL:
EC/Magic: 2002 WC/Magic: 2009 EC/Magic: 2010
LA ~ Vancouver repo: April 2011Vancouver ~ Alaska (Maiden Alaska Cruise) May 2011 added pts. to SSSR
/
Hawaii Maiden Cruise APR 2012 / 4~day Bahama's "Wonder" Cruise May 2013/
WBPC May 6th 2013 Wonder/ EC & WC 1st & 2nd Cruise on "NEW SHIPS" Fantasy SEPT 7th & 14th
1st time as a Platinum member Cruise/ WC FEB 1st ~ 8th/ 2014 Fantasy FEB 9~13 1st time on the Dream/Completing the "Grand Slam Of DCL Ships!"
EBPC SEP 12-26 '14 bring the Wonder home WC / Magic on Pod Cast 5.0 NOV 30th ~Dec7th '14/ EBTA May 15th 2015, “our 25th" Wedding anniversary b2b Cruise/ Magic 1st N. Europe Cruise, May 30th 2015/ Magic
Robin"D" is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #1578
HeddyRuth
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa1970 View Post

Are you sure about the tips for room service? Everything, literally, that I have rad about tipping room service said you needed dollar bills. It would be so much easier if I didn't need to bring a ton of ones!
We were on the dream and asked for a slip and were provided one. I don't know if the slips are a ship specific thing or if you have to ask. We didn't know about the small bills tip before our last cruise so were unprepared. I would think that they would absolutely provide a slip if asked but would certainly prefer the cash.

HeddyRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #1579
day1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving2DIS View Post
We were just on the 4 day Bahamian cruise Mar 31 - Apr 4th and they allowed us to give 2 photo mats for signatures (we had two kids in our room). I asked for 2 big photo mats (I had the sandwiched between cardboard for protection).
Can you specify "nicely" to sign for a horizontal picture?
day1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #1580
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by day1 View Post
Can you specify "nicely" to sign for a horizontal picture?
Absolutely! When you drop it off to GS you complete a form that accompanies your item. There is a comment sections available and you can write in portrait/landscape easily.

swimfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #1581
Lukmag812
Earning My Ears

Character signing

What items have they refused to sign? Thanks!
Lukmag812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #1582
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That looks awesome!

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW October 2015 TOT10 mile here I come!
dizzyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #1583
DizDaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post

Absolutely! When you drop it off to GS you complete a form that accompanies your item. There is a comment sections available and you can write in portrait/landscape easily.
Also, from experience and to reiterate what I believe I saw early in this thread......use a pencil and create a border on the mat or they will sign right up to the edge, and then it will get lost in your frame. Ask that they stay inside of the border.

Disney Magic - 2/27/2010 - Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Epic - 9/4/2010 - Western Caribbean
Disney Fantasy - 5/19/2012 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Fantasy - 5/24/2014 Western Caribbean
DizDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #1584
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaddy View Post
Also, from experience and to reiterate what I believe I saw early in this thread......use a pencil and create a border on the mat or they will sign right up to the edge, and then it will get lost in your frame. Ask that they stay inside of the border.
Or painter's tape.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #1585
Susiesark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post

Mum from Oz, that plate is awesome! Did they draw the middle Mickey? Or did it come like that with the Mickey in the middle? Love it!
Since you are local, pretty sure I saw these at World of Disney, Downtown Disney, DLR.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #1586
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Or painter's tape.

Nancy
That's what we used, and I wrote along the edges of the tape which direction to sign.
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #1587
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aan1701 View Post
On the room service front. I ordered room service almost 14 straight nights on the Wonder and not once did I ever get a slip to sign, so that meant that to leave my gratuity i would need to have small bills. Glad I did or those poor room service runners would not have gotten a tip from me if I did not have my stash of 1's. so have a stash of small bills is a great tip in my book.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
This must vary from ship to ship. We have sailed twice on the Dream and have always been provided with a slip. We did specify that we needed them to bring the slip ONCE on our most recent cruise, but never before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeymo78 View Post
Thank you so much for this info. I always want to order room service but I never remember to bring ones with me. A couple 5s if I'm lucky. So glad I can just charge a tip to the room.
We rarely have singles so we always just sign the slip. When phoning in your order, you can request the slip if you want to make certain that they bring one, but I haven't found it necessary. I did request it once because we were out of singles and I wanted to make sure and leave a tip but that was once out of several orders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
Same here. Never got a slip to sign. But I haven't been on the Dream or the Fantasy. My last cruise, I sailed with my mom, her first cruise. We just had a spot where I put our $1s in an envelope and I just told her how to tip. Worked out great.
It must be the difference between the "classics" and the "dream" class because 2 cruises on the Dream and we have always been presented with the slip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeddyRuth View Post
We were on the dream and asked for a slip and were provided one. I don't know if the slips are a ship specific thing or if you have to ask. We didn't know about the small bills tip before our last cruise so were unprepared. I would think that they would absolutely provide a slip if asked but would certainly prefer the cash.
We bring very little cash with us and actually thought on our first cruise that we wouldn't be able to get room service since we didn't have small bills but we found that not to be the case at all. Both cruises on the Dream and we have always been given the slip. Sometimes we pay in cash but if we are out of small bills or need it for something else, then we just sign the slip. I figure they prefer us to leave a tip on the slip versus no tip at all because we are out of cash.

Just to clarify, I would never not leave a tip. Other posters mentioned them preferring cash over the slip, so I was simply stating that they probably prefer the slip over no tip at all.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #1588
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran

The discussion of slips for room service is so interesting: we have been on the Wonder, the Magic and the Fantasy and order a LOT of room service, and have never gotten a slip to sign.

Another cruise secret that worked for us on our recent cruise was Cabanas on disembarkation morning. We tried that tip this time and loved it. We have always disliked the breakfast in the MDRs the last day: rushed, grumpy-ish servers, pre-plated food. While it was not "advertised" that you could go to Cabanas, we just showed up there when we were ready and nobody questioned us. The food selection was better and we could go at our own pace. I will do this from now on!
GBBTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #1589
LetsGoSteelers
DIS Veteran

We usually bring a strap or two of $2 bills.

They love them because they are usually hard to find and some cultures consider them to be lucky....at least it is something different and when we are able to get brand new crisp bills they love them even more.

♦ 2002 WDW Port Orleans + 3nt Disney Wonder (got hooked on DCL right here)
♦ 2006 WDW Port Orleans + 11nt South Caribbean Disney Wonder
♦ 2008 Halloween on the High Seas & All Star Movies & all 4 WDW parks "highlights" in 2 days....whew
♦ 2011 Disney Dream 4nt, WDW & IOA @ AK Villas

LetsGoSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #1590
LetsGoSteelers
DIS Veteran

That plate idea is awesome. Looking around I also found this one...
Animator's Palette Appetizer Plate - Disney Cruise Line
Very nice and a DCL item and also one of our favorite restaurants.

Sells for $21.95
http://www.disneystore.com/animators...18967/1000352/
♦ 2002 WDW Port Orleans + 3nt Disney Wonder (got hooked on DCL right here)
♦ 2006 WDW Port Orleans + 11nt South Caribbean Disney Wonder
♦ 2008 Halloween on the High Seas & All Star Movies & all 4 WDW parks "highlights" in 2 days....whew
♦ 2011 Disney Dream 4nt, WDW & IOA @ AK Villas

Last edited by LetsGoSteelers; 07-01-2013 at 02:51 PM.
LetsGoSteelers is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: