Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #16
jimmiej
Quite unintentionally, I invented the Naked Segway Tour

I'm subscribing so I can read the rest.

Quote:
She will drop more food on the ground on this trip than entire families in China eat in a year.

ETA: I've been to WDW many times now, but I still get that same feeling you had when I see the castle.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #17
mt mommy
Mouseketeer

love hearing about the first timers!! I'm subscribing!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #18
bransworld
Mouseketeer

Great report. I love hearing about a newbie's trip.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #19
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

Great report! I'm taking my 4 kids for their first trip in May, so it's great to here from a "newbie" like myself!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
ktjoswanson
Earning My Ears

Chapter 3: Our First Full Day

We arrived at MK the next day before the gates open and I have my game plan to grab the first CM I see and find out where the BBB is so that we will be on time for our 10:30 appointment. I figure we can even do a few rides before then.

I should have known it was a bad sign when the CM I asked said he didn’t know where it was. Why should he? It’s not even at MK! It’s at DTD. I didn’t learn that until I went into City Hall, though. (This is what I get for spending only minimal time on the Disboards before going.)

I did not freak out. (Very unlike me – I’m a frequent freaker.) But my heart was breaking for my DD. I figured she would probably miss her BBB appointment by the time we took a bus from MK back to a hotel to catch a bus to DTD. And even if she didn’t, she’d certainly never make it back to MK for lunch with Cinderella.

I considered skipping the BBB appointment and just staying in MK so the castle lunch would be a sure thing.

Can you all say magic?

My stepmother is a pistol. My own mom would’ve said forget it. Let’s just enjoy a leisurely morning at MK and skip the boutique. But my stepmom owns a salon and she really wanted to see BBB. Besides, I’d shown DD the photos of her friend in BBB and she was looking forward to getting pampered and both my stepmom and I knew it. (I know – my fault. I should’ve kept it as a surprise so just such circumstances would not leave DD disappointed. But I never foresaw this!)

As my stepmom is goading me into trying to do it all, it occurs to me that DD’s friend’s mom did tell me the boutique was in DTD. It all seemed familiar now. I had let that fact slip from my mind at some point.

So stepmom and I are running back to the buses and cheering on DD to move quickly. She wasn’t crying. It was early in the day and early on in our trip. She just didn’t want to hustle quite that much. But she was a trooper.

My head is spinning. I’m jogging to the buses but not really looking at them. Suddenly my stepmom is squealing, “Downtown Disney!” I’m thinking, yes – we all know that’s where we’re supposed to be. “That bus says Downtown Disney!!!”

I looked up and focused on our targets. I’ll be danged if it didn’t! For some odd reason we were looking at a bus going straight from MK to DTD.

If not for my stepmom’s spirit and this stroke of luck, all would’ve been lost.

The driver did have to stop at two hotels, but not the Caribbean which was good because that involves a lap around the whole resort to catch all the buildings. They were two really quick stops and we arrived at DTD with time to spare. (I even got a few minutes to browse in the scrapbook store!) The bus driver informed us that it was an unusual thing for a bus to go direct from MK to DTD. It just happened to be something he was doing right then.

Magic.

This photo is my stepmom and DD:

So we have a blast at BBB and I’m trying to just enjoy it. I don’t want to fret away a precious moment of it worrying about lunch at the castle. Her 10:30 appointment is done by 10:55 and DD does the obligatory pose out front by Princess Aurora and…

(Love expression on DD's face in this one.)

We’re off!

Jogging back to the buses my poor stepmom is really pushing it now. But she’ll be darned if we’re going to miss it. We’re hoping to come right up on a bus to the Contemporary.

Guess what it says on the bus we can see sitting there.

MK

We get on. We explain what’s going on to the very sympathetic bus driver. He tells us that he will go to the Contemporary. He drops off the only other 2 passengers at some stop first. I can’t remember which. It’s all a blur now. No one else gets on. No one else gets on. No one else gets on.

We come up on the Contemporary.

He drives by.

“I’m going to take you straight to the MK.”

Not only did he do that, but as he pulled up, he got on the overhead speaker (remember - it's only us 3 on the bus at this point!) and announces, "Sophie, you're here at Magic Kingdom for your lunch with Cinderella."

Too bad Sophie dozed off and didn't even hear it. My stepmom and I loved it, though!

As we de-bussed, I could’ve just cried in gratitude. I took down his name and bus number to write a letter about him later. We took a picture with him. We got off the bus and had time to spare to make it to the castle for lunch at 12:10! We even stopped first to buy some princess underwear for DD and to change her out of her Belle dress because it was too scratchy and it was driving her nuts. I kind of wanted her to wear to lunch with Cinderella, but I wasn’t going to make her be uncomfortable just for the pictures I wanted to take.

Us with the bus driver that I love:

We had a great lunch at the castle. About halfway through, the waiter came out to our table and apologized because my pasta dish did not have the vegetables it was supposed to have. He asked if I wanted a new dish with the veggies in it. I’d eaten half and was getting full. So I told him no, I’d gotten my veggies in the BLT salad appetizer. He came back a few minutes later with a box and said the chef felt bad and so this was a gift to me.

Two “Cinderella’s Royal Table” champagne flutes.

I don’t drink, but I love sparkling grape juice. I never have anything nice to drink it out of. For the rest of my life I will feel like a princess drinking my sparkling grape juice from my flutes.

With the day’s princess events over it was almost time to meet up with DH and DS. But we had time to catch Mickey’s Philharmagic first. I had read that this was a great movie but I had no idea how fantastic it was! We both loved it. I wished we’d waited for DH and DS because I knew they’d love it.

The guys weren’t at our prescribed meeting place which was fine because we had two times set up. I didn’t want DD to miss Splash Mountain so we headed over there. It said 50 minute wait, but we had PP FP, so I decided to just get in line.

The line moved along for a little bit. And then we sat in one spot for 40 minutes. We nearly had a riot on our hands. None of us thought we’d get on that ride for another hour! But we did actually end up climbing into a boat 47 minutes after we’d gotten in line. It’s funny how those lines work sometimes. I’ll tell you the problem I have with this is that no CM came back to tell us all we could still expect to be on the ride within the posted time. If one of them would have done that, I would have been fine sitting and waiting because I would have known that even though I was not moving at all, my investment of my time would be the same as I anticipated it would be when I read the sign and decided to get in line. When you don’t move for 40 minutes, you get really mad about the lack of truth in their advertising. So it wasn’t the wait that annoyed me as much as the lack of communication!!!

Mini-rant over.

After that we managed to meet up with DH and DS. They’d spent the day repeatedly riding Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain. They never even tried the Indy Speedway! I couldn’t believe it. But DH is like that. If I don’t cook it, he doesn’t like it. If I don’t wash it, it’s not clean. If I didn’t introduce him to the ride on the previous evening, he won’t try it for the first time without me. It just seemed like a boy thing to do so I left it to them to do alone on Friday while DD and I princessed. No clue why it didn’t appeal to them.

So we get on Stitch.

There’s your proof that I spent only minimal time on this board before I went.

I was so disappointed. DD and I are big Stitch fans and DH and DS think he’s pretty okay.

Nuff said.

I told DH and DS they had to see Mickey’s Philharmagic. So we split up so DD and I could use our PP FP. We were a little early. So we got on It’s a Small World. I think DD liked it. She was getting a little overwhelmed and tired at this point. I mean, magic was everywhere and she was starting to take it for granted. Not in a sassy way. Just in a way that caused her to be very even keel instead of getting wowed around every corner.

Did Peter Pan, loved it, conjured up more memories of doing it with my grandparents when I was a kid.

On the way out, I knew we would probably not be back to MK on this trip. I really wanted to buy something there – regardless of whether or not it was an item that was also for sale at my hotel gift shop. I couldn’t decide what. I saw the watch shop and knew I needed a Mickey watch. Not an expensive one. I would never wear it because I would be afraid that it would break. So I went in and almost bought a Minnie one. Then I decided it’s really all about the Mickey. So I grabbed him instead.

On the way out all the arrivals were showing up for the Princess and Pirate party. I had a few pangs of regret for not buying tickets ahead of time. Then I took a moment and observed my family as we were trudging toward the bus stop. We’d had it for the day – but we weren’t fighting yet. That meant it was actually the perfect time to stop. I felt better about my decision to skip it.

We caught a bus and I called my mom back home in Wisconsin to let her know about our day. At the end I told her about my watch. She said she wanted a Minnie one! D’OH!!! So I hit the hotel gift shop and found one exactly like mine. Perfect. I knew she would love that we had matching Mickey/Minnie watches.

So the next day would be MGM. I was so excited about it! And I couldn’t wait for the kids to do RRR and TOT. I knew MGM would be DS’s favorite and so I was so excited for him to wake up the next day ready for Star Wars and all the other cool boy stuff at that park. However, we decided to finish the night off swimming with my brother. That may have been what did in DS…

Last edited by ktjoswanson; 03-08-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #21
Motherofboys
DIS Veteran

Uh oh, sounds like a little less magic ahead? Wow, what an awesome day! So much !! Just loved it, great installment

DH Me DS13 DS10 DS7 DS5 DD1
Old 03-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #22
FutureCinderella88
Mouseketeer

subrcribing!

Love this report!! your comment about seeing the castle was soooo great! I've been several times, but the castle and fireworks never ceases to make me tear up!!!
My Magical Disney Trips.....1990-1997: offsite, 1998: Polynesian, 2001: Beach Club, 2002: Boardwalk, 2003: Boardwalk, 2003: Coronado Springs, 2004: Boardwalk, 2005: Wilderness Lodge, 2006: Wilderness Lodge, 2007: Wilderness Lodge

Been there, done that, GOING BACK!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #23
ktjoswanson
Earning My Ears

Will you all indulge me a little bit? I have to brag a little more on the wonderful luck we had at CRT.

Our table was right up against those beautiful, tall, arched windows. I had to take a picture of the back of the castle from the outside so I could figure out where we were when we ate inside.

Also, I want to comment on the CM's who play the princesses. They're so much more than just pretty faces.

What a tough job. They never break out of character. They're so sweet and I'm thinking it must be hard for them to refrain from laughing at nerdy adults like me who get a little giddy around them. I mean, they expect it from the kids. How can they keep a straight face when anyone over age 12 is impressed by them? I hope they realize it's the good job they're doing (as well as the attention to detail in their hair, make-up, and amazing costumes) that makes the illusion so real and causes even adults to get a little starstruck around them. I would be sick of that job after 32 minutes. What special people. I hope they're well paid. They must make so many peoples' vacations truly special.

That is all. It's not really off-topic. But it didn't fully occur to me until after I wrote up the whole last chapter and I wasn't sure where to insert it where it wouldn't stop the flow of the day's action.

Katie

DD taking in the magic:

Last edited by ktjoswanson; 03-08-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:37 PM   #24
KimAshton
DIS Veteran

your DD is too cute.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #25
mumom95
DIS Veteran

Subscribing!! Great TR so far. We are also a family of four (ds8 and dd6) and our trip in November will be the first trip for the kids (my husband and I went 11 years ago). So I'm looking forward to your family's experience, since our kids are close in age.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #26
ktjoswanson
Earning My Ears

Kim - Thank you! She looks just like her daddy. He's a fine looking man, but very masculine. You'd never think you could put that mug on a baby girl's face and have it all come out looking alright, but somehow she's okay. (Just wait til later in the trip though when she has some undiagnosed facial-cranial swelling...)

mumom95 - Nothing was as much fun as giving this to my kids. I know we'll go again, no matter what I have to do to scrape up the funds, just so I can se them smile Disney smiles again. I felt so good watching them have this great of a time.

Katie
Old 03-08-2007, 08:50 PM   #27
MousekaMaddi
DIS Veteran

spectacular trippie

MORE PLEASE!!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:02 PM   #28
mt mommy
Mouseketeer

we loved CRT too! The Fairy Godmother was actually one of my favs!!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:16 PM   #29
sharkB8HooHaHa
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you really made the best of some stressful situations and it all came out okay (naturally...it's WDW and the right frame of mind!)

Your pictures are great! And you're daughter is a cutie!
Old 03-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #30
ktjoswanson
Earning My Ears

MTMommy: Don't you feel a little bad for the fairy godmother? It seems to me that in the eyes of all those little girls, she just can't compete with all that princess glamour!

sharkb8: Thank you! She's sick on the couch right now. Still hasn't bounced back from some little bug she apparently had during all trip. (More on that later...)

Katie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: