DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #3616
Idreamodisney247
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifferearly
Those buildings don't have a separate bathroom door into the hallway (you have to go into the master bedroom). I believe the only buildings with elevators at 62-64.
Oh how disappointing about the bathroom door situation. Depending on who you go with, that could definitely be a deal breaker. That would put me in the same situation as a stay at SSR where I would have to get a 2 bedroom but for two completely different reasons
Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #3617
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew-JTA View Post
Soooo excited! We're getting married December 10 and staying at OKW! I've stayed at several other DVC resorts, but never at OKW.

We have 5 studios reserved, but now I'm concerned about getting in the "right" building. My aunt recently broke her ankle (very badly) but is hoping to only need a wheelchair in the parks. With that said, we'd like to keep the walking to a minimum (with her ankle issue, a couple of kids, and almost everyone else in their 60s and 70s).

I've been reading such wonderful things about OKW, and I'm really looking forward for some good advice :-)

Thank you!!!

Tamara
Are those studios reserved in the Near Hospitality House booking category? If not, you should request to be as near as possible to a bus stop. But since it is your trip is 6 plus months away, I hope your Aunt's ankle has healed well by then. If not, she may need a wheelchair no matter what DVC Resort you've chosen...there is more walking at any Disney resort than most fully able bodied people realize.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #3618
Crew-JTA
Romans 8:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post

Are those studios reserved in the Near Hospitality House booking category? If not, you should request to be as near as possible to a bus stop. But since it is your trip is 6 plus months away, I hope your Aunt's ankle has healed well by then. If not, she may need a wheelchair no matter what DVC Resort you've chosen...there is more walking at any Disney Disney resort than most fully able bodied people realize.
I didn't know there was such a category until this thread so I'm sure they are not. I used to own at SSR (until my divorce several years ago) so this time we rented from a member. I hate to bother them, but with my aunt's lengthy rehab I feel that's a worthy request.

Thanks for the input. We've really enjoyed staying closer to the parks in the past (BLT, VWL, BCV), but I'm getting more excited about OKW the more I read about it :-) It sounds like a special place to so many.

Tamara
Old 05-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #3619
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I didn't know there was such a category until this thread so I'm sure they are not. I used to own at SSR (until my divorce several years ago) so this time we rented from a member. I hate to bother them, but with my aunt's lengthy rehab I feel that's a worthy request.

Thanks for the input. We've really enjoyed staying closer to the parks in the past (BLT, VWL, BCV), but I'm getting more excited about OKW the more I read about it :-) It sounds like a special place to so many.

Tamara
I forgot to ask if you'll have a car available? If so, it probably doesn't matter what area of OKW you are in as you could simply drive your Aunt to the Hospitality area when there is a need to go there. For park and DtD transportation,though, being close to a bus stop would be good for her. Buildings 30 to 33 are very near the Old Turtle Pond bus stop, and were some of the most convenient buildings when I traveled with my Mom, who needed a wheelchair to get around.

And hopefully, you'll also have a car if anyone in your group needs transportation to/from the laundry rooms, since you'll be in studios. At OKW the laundry rooms are located by each of the 4 pools. And be sure to have the DVC Owner add the request that your Aunt's studio be on the ground floor for medical reasons, as there are only 3 buildings with elevators at OKW.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #3620
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran

You will never get 5 studios in the same bldg on the first floor...most likely not even in the same bldgs. I'll look for the link of the configuration. There is only one bldg with more than 4 studios...it is 64' which I believe is an elevator...but doubt very much that 5 studios would be available the exact same day.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146435

Last edited by Pirate Granny; 05-11-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #3621
Crew-JTA

Hmmmm. Thank you Chuck S and Pirate Granny. Help me think this through... One reason we didn't have two parts of the family share a 2BR is because one is staying longer than the other. But...I read that if it's a lock-off rather than a dedicated, maybe one half can check-out and leave the remaining party in the studio portion. Am I thinking right? Maybe they could be on the ground floor (for my aunt). And you're right; I'm sure we won't be all in the same bldg, but maybe we can be close by. I'll just be happy to be there!

Tamara
Old 05-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #3622
chepic
I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some people say I have "issues."

Quote:
Hmmmm. Thank you Chuck S and Pirate Granny. Help me think this through... One reason we didn't have two parts of the family share a 2BR is because one is staying longer than the other. But...I read that if it's a lock-off rather than a dedicated, maybe one half can check-out and leave the remaining party in the studio portion. Am I thinking right? Maybe they could be on the ground floor (for my aunt). And you're right; I'm sure we won't be all in the same bldg, but maybe we can be close by. I'll just be happy to be there!

Tamara
We did exactly that. A few years back we went and had friends stay with us in a lock-off 2 bedroom. They were only there for the 1st 4 days, then checked out and we ended the rest of our stay with the 1 bedroom. I am sure you can do the reverse.

cheryl
Old 05-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #3623
Crew-JTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepic View Post

We did exactly that. A few years back we went and had friends stay with us in a lock-off 2 bedroom. They were only there for the 1st 4 days, then checked out and we ended the rest of our stay with the 1 bedroom. I am sure you can do the reverse.

cheryl
Great! I'm excited, and I know it'll be special for us (getting married at Sea Breeze Point), but I'm trying my best to make it special for everyone!

Thanks again

Tamara
Old 05-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #3624
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:

Tamara
If you book a lockoff and want different departure dates for each part of the villa, you must book them as a studio and one bedroom and hope they connect to each other. You can't just drop a portion of a two bedroom lockoff.

We did something similar for the marathon a few years ago. We arrived before our friends. We booked a one bedroom for our part of the stay. When our friends arrived, we had a two bedroom lockoff booked. We requested to stay in the same one bedroom portion of the villa and it was granted. But we had to make sure they would get the studio connected to our villa when we checked into the one bedroom.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #3625
Crew-JTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

If you book a lockoff and want different departure dates for each part of the villa, you must book them as a studio and one bedroom and hope they connect to each other. You can't just drop a portion of a two bedroom lockoff.

We did something similar for the marathon a few years ago. We arrived before our friends. We booked a one bedroom for our part of the stay. When our friends arrived, we had a two bedroom lockoff booked. We requested to stay in the same one bedroom portion of the villa and it was granted. But we had to make sure they would get the studio connected to our villa when we checked into the one bedroom.
So....in regards to points, was it booked like a studio and a 1BR that you asked to connect, or was is booked like a 2BR? That would make a bit of difference. My family will be arriving at the same time but then one party will leave a day early.

Tamara
Old 05-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #3626
Crew-JTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

I read this again. It sounds like we book the 2BR and the studio for the last day and then just request to stay in that same studio?

Man, I miss being a member! I hate asking others to take care of reservation stuff. But the good new is that DVC members are among the nicest people in the world!

Tamara
Old 05-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #3627
Shazzie B
DIS Veteran

Did I read somewhere that the bus from OKW to Animal Kingdom stops at Blizzard Beach 1st? If so does it do the same on the way back, AK-BB-OKW please?

May 2002 All Star Movies; May 2003 La Quinta 192; Dec 2004 Nikki Bird; April 2006 Holiday Inn & Dolphin Beach, St. Petes; Aug 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge; Aug 2008 Coronado Springs; Aug 2009 Highlands Reserve & Animal Kingdom Lodge; Oct 2010 Best Western Lakeside; Oct 2012 Arcadia Gardens; Sept 2013 Old Key West;Sept 2014 Transatlantic on Magic

Old 05-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #3628
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I read this again. It sounds like we book the 2BR and the studio for the last day and then just request to stay in that same studio?

Man, I miss being a member! I hate asking others to take care of reservation stuff. But the good new is that DVC members are among the nicest people in the world!

Tamara
Say the entire party is staying the nights January 1 to 9, with checkout on January 10, but you also want to keep just the studio for the night of January 10, with a January 11 check-out

You book a 2 bedroom lockoff, for the nights of January 1 to January 9, with a January 10 departure, and book just a studio for January 10 arrival, January 11 departure. Note that you want to keep the studio that last night, if possible...also make sure they are aware of this at the front desk.

This is not guaranteed, as it depends upon the logistics of who many departures/arrivals and what type are scheduled for January 10. For instance, if they have two bedroom lockoff units with departure, on group wanting to keep the one bedroom portion, and another group wanting to keep a studio portion, but they have someone arriving booked into a 2 bedroom lockoff...either the one bedroom people or the studio people will have to move to free up a full 2 bedroom lockoff for the new arrivals.

It usually works out just fine, but again, it isn't guaranteed.

In either case, you'll likely need to get new room keys at the front desk, as the one bedroom and studio of a two bedroom lockoff are keyed a like, so then they'll need new keys for the party remaining in the studio portion so their keys are unlinked from the next one bedroom guest.

Last edited by Chuck S; 05-11-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #3629
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzie B View Post
Did I read somewhere that the bus from OKW to Animal Kingdom stops at Blizzard Beach 1st? If so does it do the same on the way back, AK-BB-OKW please?
I think it stops at BB either on the way to AK, or on the way back to OKW, but not both.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #3630
Shazzie B
DIS Veteran

Thanks, just thought it would be ideal for EMH at AK for a couple of hours & then BB. Can always go to AKL & then BB

May 2002 All Star Movies; May 2003 La Quinta 192; Dec 2004 Nikki Bird; April 2006 Holiday Inn & Dolphin Beach, St. Petes; Aug 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge; Aug 2008 Coronado Springs; Aug 2009 Highlands Reserve & Animal Kingdom Lodge; Oct 2010 Best Western Lakeside; Oct 2012 Arcadia Gardens; Sept 2013 Old Key West;Sept 2014 Transatlantic on Magic

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: