DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #3421
Weluvdizney2
Mouseketeer

We will be on a tight budget this trip, and we are hoping to use the kitchen in the one bedroom villa to save some $. From the pictures, it looks like a nice and spacious kitchen. Have any of you actually used the kitchen for meals? Any tips? We will have a car, and plan on making a grocery store stop. Are there gas grills and if so, are they convenient to the villa?

We will have daily housekeeping (not on points), so I am assuming they will provide dishwashing detergent and laundry soap. I would like to bring my own coffee, is it a regular coffee maker? Are there coffee filters?

Also, My husband will be celebrating his bday on this trip, do any of the Disney bakeries deliver specialty cakes to OKW?

Also, how is Olivia's? I don't want to cook every meal

This is our first time in a DVC resort.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #3422
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdizney2 View Post
We will be on a tight budget this trip, and we are hoping to use the kitchen in the one bedroom villa to save some $. From the pictures, it looks like a nice and spacious kitchen. Have any of you actually used the kitchen for meals? Any tips? We will have a car, and plan on making a grocery store stop. Are there gas grills and if so, are they convenient to the villa?

We will have daily housekeeping (not on points), so I am assuming they will provide dishwashing detergent and laundry soap. I would like to bring my own coffee, is it a regular coffee maker? Are there coffee filters?

Also, My husband will be celebrating his bday on this trip, do any of the Disney bakeries deliver specialty cakes to OKW?

This is our first time in a DVC resort.

Thanks!
Since you're on cash and not points, with daily housekeeping, you should get a coffee packet every day, along with a single use laundry soap. You'll also get a small bottle of liquid dish washing soap and some dishwasher soap, these should be in a cupboard near the kitchen sink.

Olivia's is very good, it is a relaxed homestyle restaurant. The servers are very attentive, and the meals excellent, but they take a little time to prepare. Allow some time to relax and enjoy some conversation.

There are grills near the quiet pools, but they are charcoal, not gas. Charcoal is available for purchase at the general store, but it'd be cheaper off-site. They are the standard type charcoal grills found in most public parks. I don;t know if there are grills near the main themed pool or not, I never looked.

One "secret" about OKW, there is a small sauna located inside the lighthouse.

If you bring your own coffee, yes, it is a standard Mr. Coffee type 10 to 12 cup maker, using the basket type filters. You would need to get the filters at the grocery store, they are not provided.

I generally use the kitchen for breakfast items, like hot cereal, bacon, and so forth. But I have prepared a full evening meal as well.

Many years ago we were able to order a Mickey or Minnie cake through Olivia's, it included paper plates, noisemakers, balloons etc. It served about 8 people for $40. If they still offer it, I'm sure the price has increased. I don't know if any of the regular bakeries deliver to OKW. Another thought, since you'll be grocery shopping...Publix has very nice cakes and bakery items, it would be much less expensive to pick one up while you're shopping.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992

Last edited by Chuck S; 02-26-2013 at 11:04 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 AM   #3423
FormrCastMbr
DIS Veteran

Hi. I have not posted here in a while but wanted to share that a few years ago, I had an anniversary cake delivered to Okw. There is a cake thread on the restaurants board here on the dis that will give you some info. The cake was really good but I do not remember the cost and it was delivered right to the room.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #3424
dvcville
Earning My Ears

Okw hh

We are planning to stay @ OKW for the first time. Our home resort is the VWL and we are having a little with draw.lol! We need more room for family that decided to come with us. My question: is it better to be close to the HH? Our kids love the slide @ VWL and I sure the would like the slide @ OKW and we will use that pool often. We would only eat at Olivia's once so that's not a big deal but just thinking about the pool time and getting to it. thanks

Last edited by dvcville; 02-27-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #3425
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Give me a "Sultry Seahorse" from the Gurgling Suitcase to sip while I sit on the deck by the pool. Or sitting on that huge porch outside our villa drinking morning coffee.
Now that, folks, is a real vacation! The parks are great, but an evening with a tropical Sultry Seahorse and morning coffee on the porch can't be beat!

Last edited by Chuck S; 02-27-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #3426
Checkers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcville View Post
We are planning to stay @ OKW for the first time. Our home resort is the VWL and we are having a little with draw.lol! We need more room for family that decided to come with us. My question: is it better to be close to HH? Our kids love the slide @ VWL and I sure the would like the slide @ OKW and we will use that pool often. We would only eat at Olivia's once so that's not a big deal but just thinking about the pool time and getting to it. thanks
I think you are going to enjoy OKW and the kids will love the pool slide. HH is nice but in Dec. we stayed in the Peninsular Rd. area and loved it -- a short walk to the HH and pool. Don't forget about the boat to DTD which we love! Have fun!

Upcoming:

BWVs - 9/14-9/18
BWVs - 12/14-12/19
BWVs - 2/14-2/21/15
Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #3427
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

We cook at OKW all the time. The only thing I miss is that they no longer have the tea kettle so I can boil water for my morning tea. No big deal though to use a pan.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #3428
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdizney2 View Post
. Are there gas grills and if so, are they convenient to the villa?

Thanks!
I love to cook and do it every trip in my OKW kitchen but we also make of the "charcoal" grills by the quiet pools, little to no clean up! This is one of the reason that we are particularly fond of the Turtle Pond Area! We bring down steaks, chicken, etc., a few cocktails, sodas and snacks/hors d'oeuvres. We use the pool while the coals get hot, and just enjoy being on vacation and yes, it's a nice break from the parks!

Olivia's, love the bacon cheeseburger, the conch fritters, the Caesar salad and the key lime pie! It's very casual and the food is good!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #3429
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

We have a studio, near HH, booked in April. I want to request the Peninsular Rd culdesac. Thinking of requesting building 23 or 26. Which do you prefer (and why )?

TIA.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #3430
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
We have a studio, near HH, booked in April. I want to request the Peninsular Rd culdesac. Thinking of requesting building 23 or 26. Which do you prefer (and why )?

TIA.
The problem with requesting a specific building, rather than just ""The Peninsular Road area" is that the room assigner may not know why you made such a specific request, and if that bldg happens to be full or out of service for some reason, they'll stick you most anywhere.

I'd specifically request to be in the Peninsular Road area.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #3431
Checkers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post

TIA.
We stayed in a studio in Dec. in the Peninsular Rd. culdesac and loved it, however, I don't believe it is considered HH area for booking purposes. If you have HH reserved and then request PR and it is not available, it might affect your reservation. It is worth investigating before making any changes. I am not positive it is not considered HH so perhaps someone will come along who has more information.

Upcoming:

BWVs - 9/14-9/18
BWVs - 12/14-12/19
BWVs - 2/14-2/21/15
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #3432
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
The problem with requesting a specific building, rather than just ""The Peninsular Road area" is that the room assigner may not know why you made such a specific request, and if that bldg happens to be full or out of service for some reason, they'll stick you most anywhere.

I'd specifically request to be in the Peninsular Road area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkers View Post
We stayed in a studio in Dec. in the Peninsular Rd. culdesac and loved it, however, I don't believe it is considered HH area for booking purposes. If you have HH reserved and then request PR and it is not available, it might affect your reservation. It is worth investigating before making any changes. I am not positive it is not considered HH so perhaps someone will come along who has more information.
Thank you for the responses.

I thought 23, 24, 25 and 26 were "near HH" A couple years ago, we were in a building 14 studio, "near HH" and I wasn't in love with that location!

If 23 through 26 are indeed "near HH" I will do as you suggest, Chuck, and request "Peninsular Rd Area".

Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #3433
Weluvdizney2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S

Since you're on cash and not points, with daily housekeeping, you should get a coffee packet every day, along with a single use laundry soap. You'll also get a small bottle of liquid dish washing soap and some dishwasher soap, these should be in a cupboard near the kitchen sink.

Olivia's is very good, it is a relaxed homestyle restaurant. The servers are very attentive, and the meals excellent, but they take a little time to prepare. Allow some time to relax and enjoy some conversation.

There are grills near the quiet pools, but they are charcoal, not gas. Charcoal is available for purchase at the general store, but it'd be cheaper off-site. They are the standard type charcoal grills found in most public parks. I don;t know if there are grills near the main themed pool or not, I never looked.

One "secret" about OKW, there is a small sauna located inside the lighthouse.

If you bring your own coffee, yes, it is a standard Mr. Coffee type 10 to 12 cup maker, using the basket type filters. You would need to get the filters at the grocery store, they are not provided.

I generally use the kitchen for breakfast items, like hot cereal, bacon, and so forth. But I have prepared a full evening meal as well.

Many years ago we were able to order a Mickey or Minnie cake through Olivia's, it included paper plates, noisemakers, balloons etc. It served about 8 people for $40. If they still offer it, I'm sure the price has increased. I don't know if any of the regular bakeries deliver to OKW. Another thought, since you'll be grocery shopping...Publix has very nice cakes and bakery items, it would be much less expensive to pick one up while you're shopping.
Thanks for all of the awesome detailed info!!!!!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #3434
Shazzie B
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeschlicht View Post
We cook at OKW all the time. The only thing I miss is that they no longer have the tea kettle so I can boil water for my morning tea. No big deal though to use a pan.
Oh no not sure how I'll cope without a kettle, us Brits need our tea (well I do anyway DH & kids think I'm mad drinking tea in Florida heat!). I'm sure I'll cope with pan though

Another question though please; I saw on another thread that the main pools very often have shower cubicles - we won't get picked up for our flight home until about 3pm - so this would be really handy to freshen up, do they have them at main pool at OKW?

May 2002 All Star Movies; May 2003 La Quinta 192; Dec 2004 Nikki Bird; April 2006 Holiday Inn & Dolphin Beach, St. Petes; Aug 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge; Aug 2008 Coronado Springs; Aug 2009 Highlands Reserve & Animal Kingdom Lodge; Oct 2010 Best Western Lakeside; Oct 2012 Arcadia Gardens; Sept 2013 Old Key West;Sept 2014 Transatlantic on Magic

Old 03-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #3435
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzie B View Post
Another question though please; I saw on another thread that the main pools very often have shower cubicles - we won't get picked up for our flight home until about 3pm - so this would be really handy to freshen up, do they have them at main pool at OKW?
Yes there are several shower stalls across from the bike rental/ping pong table area, near the main pool! The CM's often offer shampoo and shower gel!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: