DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #3376
Checkers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlittig View Post
Does anyone know if you can get a full size ironing board at Old Key West My Disney skirts are cotton and need to be ironed after being taken out of my suitcase Those little mini boards are a real pain
My experience has been that all villas at OKW have full size ironing boards. The only exception might be the studios but if that is the case you could call housekeeping and request a full size one. Should not be a problem replacing it.

Upcoming:

BWVs - 9/14-9/18
BWVs - 12/14-12/19
BWVs - 2/14-2/21/15
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #3377
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

Our last Dec. stay in a studio at OKW had the small size one but our January SSR studio stay had a full one.

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise šoš '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #3378
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

The studios at OKW have a small table-top type ironing board. The larger units have a regular household ironing. If you are staying in a studio and need a full sized ironing board, you can call housekeeping and one will be delivered.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #3379
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Howdy All,

I tend to stay at my home resort, AKLV, but decided to spread my wings a bit during a few trips I have planned so far in the year. I'm here now at SSR, and though its been lovely, I'm really finding myself missing AKLV because of how large this resort is. I've stayed at OKW a few times before, but don't want to have this same feeling. If I am remembering correctly, those units near HH are extra points, right? If so, what's the next best option to be near the area and a bus stop?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Old 02-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #3380
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Howdy All,

I tend to stay at my home resort, AKLV, but decided to spread my wings a bit during a few trips I have planned so far in the year. I'm here now at SSR, and though its been lovely, I'm really finding myself missing AKLV because of how large this resort is. I've stayed at OKW a few times before, but don't want to have this same feeling. If I am remembering correctly, those units near HH are extra points, right? If so, what's the next best option to be near the area and a bus stop?
Being near HH does not require extra points. You can also request Springs section which is similar to staying at HH in OKW. It took me a few days to feel at home and get to know the grounds at SSR but I really like it. We stayed again January and felt more comfortable but we always feel that way when we stay at a new resort (except for the size of course). We always miss the other resorts but knowing we will be back many more times makes it easier.

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise šoš '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
Old 02-16-2013, 08:54 AM   #3381
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS

Being near HH does not require extra points. You can also request Springs section which is similar to staying at HH in OKW. It took me a few days to feel at home and get to know the grounds at SSR but I really like it. We stayed again January and felt more comfortable but we always feel that way when we stay at a new resort (except for the size of course). We always miss the other resorts but knowing we will be back many more times makes it easier.
Thanks for the tip. I've stayed at SSR several times before but always in The Grandstand section. I guess I'm hooked on AKL lol

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #3382
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Thanks for the tip. I've stayed at SSR several times before but always in The Grandstand section. I guess I'm hooked on AKL lol
Nothing wrong with AKL either. We've got points there too.

As one of the PP's has noted, at OKW there is no difference in points between the HH category and the non-HH category. Each seems to have its adherents. We generally go for the non-HH rooms because we have a car available on our visits and we don't usually do anything at HH other than check-in.

Originally OKW didn't have the two different location categories. They added it a while (10 years? Less?) ago because so many people wanted to be near HH. At the time it was a request only so people wound up being disappointed when they got there. Now that it is a booking category people can get disappointed before they get there.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:10 AM   #3383
Shazzie B
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Now that it is a booking category people can get disappointed before they get there.

May 2002 All Star Movies; May 2003 La Quinta 192; Dec 2004 Nikki Bird; April 2006 Holiday Inn & Dolphin Beach, St. Petes; Aug 2007 Animal Kingdom Lodge; Aug 2008 Coronado Springs; Aug 2009 Highlands Reserve & Animal Kingdom Lodge; Oct 2010 Best Western Lakeside; Oct 2012 Arcadia Gardens; Sept 2013 Old Key West;Sept 2014 Transatlantic on Magic

Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #3384
Joben
Mouseketeer

fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEASLYBOO View Post
Building 45 & 46, beautiful and serene! My son when he was little (16 now) would fish with his uncle by the bank of those building when we stayed there.
Can you still fish in the river?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #3385
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben View Post
Yes, fishing is allowed.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #3386
Joben
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Yes, fishing is allowed.
That is awesome! I just want to be sure about this. Are there any restrictions? I think we were told that only fishing excursions through Disney were allowed for fishing. We will be leaving in 17 days, and are going with my In-Laws. My Father in-law was wanting to do one of these trips and we are planning on staying there so it would be great for him to wake up, walk out and drop a line. Please tell me that this is allowed to happen!

Old 02-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #3387
neilsalop
Mouseketeer

We're coming to OKW in August and were thinking of asking for buildings 23-26. Are these a good option? Was considering up to 29, but that seems to be a less good choice. Also would prefer top floor, so are these 2 or 3 story buildings? Thanks.

May '96 (villa, Westridge) Xmas '99 (villa, Davenport) Sept '00 (viila, Southern Dunes) Aug '01 (villa, Poincianna) Oct '01 (our villa, Indian Pointe) June '02 (our villa, for the last time) Xmas '08 ([not our]villa, Indian Pointe) Xmas '09 Indian Point. October '10 Same again August '11 August '13 OKW and IDrive

Upcoming trip is our first on site
Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #3388
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
That is awesome! I just want to be sure about this. Are there any restrictions? I think we were told that only fishing excursions through Disney were allowed for fishing. We will be leaving in 17 days, and are going with my In-Laws. My Father in-law was wanting to do one of these trips and we are planning on staying there so it would be great for him to wake up, walk out and drop a line. Please tell me that this is allowed to happen!
As far as I know fishing is allowed along the banks, but it is catch and release. You would probably not want to eat the fish anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsalop View Post
We're coming to OKW in August and were thinking of asking for buildings 23-26. Are these a good option? Was considering up to 29, but that seems to be a less good choice. Also would prefer top floor, so are these 2 or 3 story buildings? Thanks.
Bldgs 23 to 26 are part of the Near HH booking category. If your reservation was not booked into that category at the time of reservation, you will not have a chance of getting them. The near HH category are 11 to 14 and 23 to 26.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #3389
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally I asked at HH and was told no! I saw fishing going on, I asked again, a different person and was told yes, it's allowed on the banks!

So we went with that answer and never had any issues!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
Old 02-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #3390
wendy welcher
Earning My Ears

Are the people fishing using their own supplies or can they be rented?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: