DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #2806
nansmama
DIS Veteran

My kids (17 and 14) and I will be staying at OKW Jan. 4-15. I'm not a DVC member so paying out of pocket. We visited a bunch of the resorts on our last trip to Disney and I let the kids pick which one they'd like to stay at next. We have only stayed at Pop Century prior to now so this will be a huge step up.

These are the reasons my kids liked OKW:

* Quiet
* Spread out
* The buses
* Pretty
* The pools (apparently they conducted an extensive study of this, LOL)
* Shuffleboard and Key Lime pie (haha)

I have read through part of this thread but not the whole thing. However, based on what I've read and the map of the property, I'm thinking our best bet for "privacy" (as my kids put it) and a view (which I would like) would be buildings 45-48 or 53-56. Does that sound right? I know I definitely DON'T want our balcony to be right next to the air conditioners so I think I'll request an upper floor as well. Can I call to add these requests to our ressie now or do I have to wait until 10 days before for the early checkin period? Are there any cool hidden away things on the resort you would recommend looking for once we're there? We love finding little details like that.

Thanks for any answers. We're really looking forward to OKW! We love Pop but after four consecutive visits we are just about burned out on it and know practically every inch of the place, so I'm hoping OKW will be a refreshing change. The kids are old enough now that they enjoy the hotel experience just as much as the rest of the trip so I'm much more willing now to pay for better places.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #2807
chicharitta
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
sounds like the sea raycers. here is a link for info on sea raycer rentals
YUP Thats them. Thank you so much! Im glad somebody understood my crazy description of what they were
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #2808
chepic
I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some people say I have "issues."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeschlicht View Post
He just got back from the doctor, and they want to replace his hip first. That makes sense I guess, so I'm hoping we have enough time to do both hip and one knee before our November trip.
Hips have a faster recovery time than a knee....I am a Physical Therapist Asst by day so I treat this all the time.

Cheryl
Old 07-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #2809
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansmama View Post
My kids (17 and 14) and I will be staying at OKW Jan. 4-15. I'm not a DVC member so paying out of pocket. We visited a bunch of the resorts on our last trip to Disney and I let the kids pick which one they'd like to stay at next. We have only stayed at Pop Century prior to now so this will be a huge step up.

* Quiet
* Spread out
* The buses
* Pretty

I have read through part of this thread but not the whole thing. However, based on what I've read and the map of the property, I'm thinking our best bet for "privacy" (as my kids put it) and a view (which I would like) would be buildings 45-48 or 53-56. Does that sound right? I know I definitely DON'T want our balcony to be right next to the air conditioners so I think I'll request an upper floor as well. Can I call to add these requests to our ressie now or do I have to wait until 10 days before for the early checkin period? Are there any cool hidden away things on the resort you would recommend looking for once we're there? We love finding little details like that.

Thanks for any answers. We're really looking forward to OKW! We love Pop but after four consecutive visits we are just about burned out on it and know practically every inch of the place, so I'm hoping OKW will be a refreshing change. The kids are old enough now that they enjoy the hotel experience just as much as the rest of the trip so I'm much more willing now to pay for better places.
Congrats on your trip! I'll be doing my first stay in December, but am very excited as well. From what I've read you really can't go wrong in any section. I'm not going to request anything except an upper floor and see where the cards fall. I'm pretty sure you can call now and put your requests in, they'll just note it on your reservation.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14
Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #2810
nansmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Congrats on your trip! I'll be doing my first stay in December, but am very excited as well. From what I've read you really can't go wrong in any section. I'm not going to request anything except an upper floor and see where the cards fall. I'm pretty sure you can call now and put your requests in, they'll just note it on your reservation.
Thanks, Pam. I hope you have a great trip in December! I really want a building over 30 because of the bathroom access issue, so maybe I'll just say that to make it easier, and then put in a request for upper floor.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #2811
chicharitta
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansmama

* Quiet
* Spread out
* The buses
* Pretty

We will have to compare notes post trip we will be there Jan 3-9 we plan on asking for a quiet area. We aren't too concerned about views since we don't intend on being in the room other than sleeping.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #2812
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansmama View Post
Thanks, Pam. I hope you have a great trip in December! I really want a building over 30 because of the bathroom access issue, so maybe I'll just say that to make it easier, and then put in a request for upper floor.
That's what I've requested, I'll find out how it goes on Friday!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #2813
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicharitta View Post
We will have to compare notes post trip we will be there Jan 3-9 we plan on asking for a quiet area. We aren't too concerned about views since we don't intend on being in the room other than sleeping.
You are in luck because that is everywhere at OKW.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #2814
kbknepp
Earning My Ears

I see a lot of discussion about specific buildings. Can you request a specific building when making a reservation (obviously no guarantees) or do you request an area?

Also, this would be our first stay using points. Can you make specific room requests when booking with points?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #2815
kbknepp
Earning My Ears

And another quick question: can anyone tell me anything about the little shop at OKW? We stayed at SSR in June, would the two shops carry similar items (frozen food items, small selection of fresh fruit, chips, sodas, etc)?
Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #2816
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbknepp View Post
I see a lot of discussion about specific buildings. Can you request a specific building when making a reservation (obviously no guarantees) or do you request an area?

Also, this would be our first stay using points. Can you make specific room requests when booking with points?
Its probably better to request an area than specific building. That way the room assigner has a better idea of what is important to you if the particular building isn't available. You could say something like "Building 40 or near by".

You can make requests no matter if you are booking on points or paying cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbknepp View Post
And another quick question: can anyone tell me anything about the little shop at OKW? We stayed at SSR in June, would the two shops carry similar items (frozen food items, small selection of fresh fruit, chips, sodas, etc)?
Yes, they will have similar items.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #2817
DisneyFaeriePrincess
Chocolate and Mickey, what else could be better.

Hello!! I just finished reading all 188 pages of this thread! I was going to take it slowly and just read a few pages at a time but just got caught up in the amazingness of OKW and how much everyone loves it! I pretty much grew up at OKW, my parents are DVC members since '95 and we've stayed there pretty much everytime we've gone. We did stray to other resorts but always kept coming back! I remember staying at Boardwalk the one year and just wishing to be at OKW! Now onto the important things, we will all be staying at OKW next year!! My parents are taking my DB (their son), Me and my DH to WDW next year and we're staying at OKW! I haven't been to OKW in quite a few years so it'll be great to be "home" again!! We'll have a GV so everyone gets their own bedroom. My DH has never stayed at OKW, when just the two of us go we've been staying at Pop. He's seen a bunch of pics and can't wait to go, says he thinks it looks relaxing which is his type of vacation. We are hoping to book in the near HH booking category. If we do get that it seems like the only building we'll be in is 25. Has anyone stayed in a GV in that building? How are the views? Also would I need to request anything else to be in the Penninsular area? Also I have a very important question, does anyone know if the GV in that building have the cutout mickey heads in the railings on the balcony? I used to love seeing those when we went and since my DH has never gone I think it would just be a cute little detail/surprise for him (and for me!!) Thanks so much for this wonderful thread and all your help!! (Oh and sorry for such a long post, I'm just so excited to be going!)
'95=Port Orleans '96=OKW '97=OKW '98=OKW in Jan. with Nonna and Grandma and OKW in summer '99=OKW and New Years trip '00=OKW '01=7 day Disney Cruise on the Magic and a week at Boardwalk '02=My bandtrip to WDW in May(off property) and OKW in the summer '03=OKW in the summer and for New Years '04=7 day Disney Cruise on the Magic and a day trip to Downtown Disney '05=OKW in the summer and AKL for New Years '06=My brother's bandtrip to WDW in May and OKW in the summer '07=OKW '08=OKW '09=Pop Century for DBF's first WDW trip'10=Disneyland with the family and Pop Century with DBF for my birthday '11=AKL and DCL for our honeymoon'12=Pop Century for my birthday our 1 year wedding anniversary '13=OKW with the whole family!! '13=OKW for Christmas decorations! '14=Pop for anniversary and birthday trip
Me DH Rajah

Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #2818
toklotursa
Earning My Ears

We made our first reservation at OKW for May of 2013.
We are new DVCer's and are very excited about our trip.
Now for the hard part, the waiting.

Cast of Characters:
Me(48), DW(42), DD(22), Furbabies: Eechie (RIP 8/'11), Rufus, Hudson

DH of Scooby9932

Prior Trips: 1978 Offsite, 2011 Poly, 2012 Coronado Springs

Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #2819
KECWDW
Earning My Ears

Smile New OKW stay

Hi All,
We are hopefully going to be staying at OKW in Jan 2013, as part of our honeymoon. VERY excited, we live in Australia so haven't been to WDW for YEARS.
Quick question- we will be staying in a studio, have they all been refurbished recently, or should I ask for a refurbished room? Also we are looking for somewhere quiet, pref with a view.. shall I ask for an upper floor (I have seen floor 2 mentioned quite a lot?)
Thanks!!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #2820
mlittig
DIS Veteran

All the rooms at Old Key West have been refurbished Here are some pictures of the refurbished studios to get you excited:

The kitchenette:

The balcony:

The bathroom:

Enjoy

5/87 Polynesian 5/90 Polynesian 12/02 Off site 8/08 French Quarter 6/09 French Quarter 8/09 All Star Sports 4/10 French Quarter 12/10 Old Key West 4/11 Old Key West 8/11 Pop Century 9/11 Pop Century 4/12 Old Key West 8/12 Old Key West 4/13 Old Key West 8/13 Old Key West 4/14 Old Key West 8/14 Old Key West 12/20/14 Christmas Magic 4/17/15 Pop Century
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: