Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
loralie
DIS Veteran

When is the best time to take a Disney Cruise?

I love WDW but have not been on the Disney cruise YET! I know at WDW there are good and bad times to go if you want to avoid the crowds. I would think on the crusie it would always be full so is there a better time of the year to go? My son just started Jr. high school this year (6th grade) so I don't want to take him out of school. I also have a son in 4th grade. So that leaves the summer, Christmas vacation or Spring vacation. I am thinking of doing this next year.

I guess my main question is that since a cruise is most likely to always fill up, does it really matter what time you go?

TIA,

Loralie

Here is a link to my May 2009 Grand Floridian trip report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2186301

Can't wait to plan more trips to Disney! When you are here the rest of the world just goes away along with all the problems.
loralie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
loralie
DIS Veteran

bump

Here is a link to my May 2009 Grand Floridian trip report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2186301

Can't wait to plan more trips to Disney! When you are here the rest of the world just goes away along with all the problems.
loralie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
lindakmonty
He's like "OH NO YOU DIDN'T" DCL fanatic

basically, when school is out...the price goes UP. I took my ds out of school for our vacation. It is much cheaper certain times of year. That is what I base our vacation on. It can vary thousands from one week to the next Some months have better weather than others too. The cruise we just took was a little more chilly than I prefer. Dec. was great weather, and great to see all the decor. Sept. was great price due to hurricane season I would get some prices and go from there.
WL 07/97,DCL 4nt 07/00,DCL 7nt Wstrn 09/02,WDW off site 12/02,DCL 7nt Wstrn/wdw Hilton 05/03, DL 11/03,DCL 7nt Wstrn 12/04, wedding/dismoon wdw 05/06, POFQ/DCL 02/07, SOG/Poly Christmas 07, Dec 08 NCL Jewel cruise, 08/12 7 nt Disney Fantasy, 08/14 4 nt DCL
lindakmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
bettydau
Sunny Cruiser

Red face Cruise time

We've only been on one, last month on the Wonder, and were blessed with perfect weather. The Captain said the weather was the best four straight days they'd had in three months of cruising. But...we got back the 18th, and I don't think Florida's had any great weather since then. So-you take your chance.
We're going again-next January!
bettydau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
brendalee59
DIS Veteran

We're in the same boat loralie

We have 14 yr old twins who are in 8th grade. When they were in elementary school, we never thought twice about taking them out of school a few days, for a cruise. That changed once they hit middle school. They are usually taking semester tests or finals just before a holiday, or the end of school. And if they miss to much it is too hard for them to catch up. Therefore we are locked into the peak sailings. Actually with my DH's job, we are locked into holiday sailings. he can't take time off during summer. We used to go the week following Thanksgiving, but with the twins in middle school we have to choose between Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
Whatever you decide, you will love the cruise!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
RebeccaLovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loralie View Post
I guess my main question is that since a cruise is most likely to always fill up, does it really matter what time you go?
You are correct that crowds aren't really the issue in picking a cruise like they are when visiting WDW. The ship nearly always sails at capacity and is designed to accomodate that capacity.

The main issue is picking when to cruise is cost. We also have a middle schooler this year and can no longer cruise in the cheaper season. Our previous cruises have all been in early December, before the holiday rates kicked in. We definitely felt a bit of "sticker shock" when pricing cruises during holiday times and summer. We're tentatively planning to cruise this Thanksgiving.

1972-1976 Several trips to WDW * 1986 Offsite * December 2001 CBR * December 2003 Magic-Eastern * December 2004 PC, Magic-Eastern, CSR * December 2005 Magic-Eastern * Thanksgiving 2007 Magic-Western * August 2008 Magic EB Panama Canal TOAL * June 2011 Wonder Alaska * July 2012 CSR * June 15, 2013 Fantasy
RebeccaLovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Mom24Princesses
DIS Veteran

Not only can we not pull our kids from school, DH and I both teach!
We looked at the calendar and said we can go summer -more $$$$ and HOT, or during a break. Our families on both sides already think we are too crazed with anything Disney. We can not skip one of the big holidays so we are left with Winter Break (we get this whole week out for winter break at Prez Week) or Spring Break. THEN IF SPRING BREAK FALLS NEXT TO EASTER $$$$$$$.

SO we settled on this past April (SB) that was not connected to Easter and SB 08. In fact SB 08 is the only week between now and 20?? that we can go before our oldest DD turns 18 in May of 09. We are afraid of the Feb. break because (like this week) it can be cool. Being from the south, we are use to swimming in water that is at least 80º. And someone thought to take the Magic to the left coast for most of our sailing weeks for the rest of 08. DD#1 wants to be a kid a little while longer which is fine by me.
ASMu--July 96; ASMu--Aug 98; PORS--June 01; ASMu--July 03; POP--Feb 04; CSR--June 04; ASMo--June 07; AoA--June 13
DCL

1st DCL Eastern MAGIC APRIL 1-8, 2006

THEN!!
2nd DCL Western MAGIC April 5-12, 2008
Mom24Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #8
OurMsBrooks
Mouseketeer

I'm not trying to make light of your question when I say: ANY time is a good time for a Disney Cruise! Yes, peak times cost a lot more. But, really, I can't imagine a bad time for a Disney Cruise. The best time to go is right now!

We've gone on Bahamas cruises in July and June, and weather and everything else was fantastic.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time!
OurMsBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #9
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

Yes, most DCL cruises are fully booked. But capacity changes depending on when you go. Our February cruises have less kids in general (more adults w/o kids) and the majority of kids are of pre-school age (but my kids, 10 and 12, had many kids to hang with). The Spring Break/week before Easter cruise last year had way more kids - about 1/2 of the cruisers.

How does this affect you? Feb cruises have the Mickey pool crowded and also the Adult pool was "active". The shows in the WD Theater were not full. For SB, the Goofy pool was overrun and the adult pool was "quiet". Had to get to WD Theater early for a seat and good luck trying to get more than one autograph at a character event.

But the BEST time to go on a cruise is whenever you have the money and the time!
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #10
logan1_2000
DIS Veteran
Everything Else Is Just A Cruise
This Is The DISNEY Cruise

WHICH Disney Cruise

I do think weather matters, and though there are no guarantees with weather, some times of year give better odds for good weather than others. For example--two of our DCL cruises were in January--on a 7 nighter, St.Thomas and St. Maarten were gorgeous, low to mid 80's, warm water for swimming, but on a 4 nighter, temps in the 60's and 25-30 knot sustained winds left us with conditions too chilly for pools and beaches. But January can be hit or miss in the Bahamas, so I'm not saying you'd never get lucky. And on a non-DCL cruise this past Thanksgiving week (a great time to go because it was a week's cruise while only missing 2 days of work and school), we had some of the worst weather anyone on board, the captain included, could remember outside of hurricanes--just windy and gray and cool and raining (BTW, still had fun).

So the temperature differences between the caribbean and the bahamas DO matter. But I have experienced much of what has been reported--went 1/11/03 to celebrate a birthday that was 12/23/02...because it was half the price of going the holiday week of the birthday. And while we used to not blink about pulling DS out of elementary school --and the school didnt blink, either--this is the last year of grade school so those days are over. DS will be 11 next month, so we are considering our upcoming DCL cruise to be a form of "farewell" to DCL for the foreseeable as DS might be too old
3/21/2001 RCCL Nordic Empress 4 Nt. Eastern Carib. #7001 Cat. I Oceanview
5/5/2002 Disney Wonder 4-Nt. w/ Day in Freeport 7004 Cat. 8 Oceanview
1/11/2003 Disney Magic--7 Nt.Eastern Caribbean #7014 Cat. 8 Oceanview
1/16/2005 Disney Wonder 4 Nt.#7132 Cat. 5 Verandah (upgraded from Cat. 8 #7508)
4/2/2005 Disney Magic--7 Nt. Eastern Carib. #7012 Cat. 8 Oceanview

1/2/2006 RCCL Radiance of the Seas--6 Nt. W. Carib. #1064 Owners Suite (upgraded from Grand Suite 1600)
2/9/2006 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas-4 Nt.W.Carib # 7010 Cat.F Oceanview
11/19/2006 RCCL Radiance of the Seas--6 Nt. W. Carib. #1072 Cat. D1 Balcony
1/2/2007 RCCL Sovereign of the Seas--3 Nt. Bahamas #1540 Junior Suite
5/27/2007 Disney Wonder 4-Nt. #2060 Cat. 9 Oceanview
8/10/2007 RCCL Sovereign of the Seas--3 Nt. Bahamas #8078 Cat. I Oceanview
3/16/2008 RCCL Mariner of the Seas--7 Nt. E. Caribbean #9598 Junior Suite
12/26/2008 RCCL Monarch of the Seas--3 Nt. Bahamas #8038 Cat. I Oceanview
1/22/2009 RCCL Navigator of the Seas--2 Nt. Bahamas #9610 Cat. D2 Balcony
logan1_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
AshAlytwins
DIS Veteran

Location: 16 hr. Autotrain ride away from the MAGIC! Hollidaysburg, PA

We have 14 yr old twins who are in 8th grade.

We have 14 year old twins in the 8th grade too!!
We have taken them out of school for cruises the last 2 years. They bring their homework with them and they know they must get it done or no more vacations during school. We have never had a problem!!! We had fantastic weather on our last cruise in November and the ship was not full!!! We are planning our next trip next year right after Thanksgiving as not to lose too many days of school!!!
POP Century/MVMCP/Wonder 12/'05
AKL/Wonder/POP Century/MVMCP 11-12/'06
WDW/Sheraton Vistana Villages 6/7-6/15/'08
Disney Magic Ignagural NYC-Bahama Cruise 5/25/12-6/02/12
Disney Magic Final NYC-Canada Cruise 9/12-17/2012

AshAlytwins is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: