Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2000, 12:12 PM   #1
Doctor P
Chocolate covered ginger doubles your pleasure
Lifetime Blackhawks fan!

First time back in thirty years--one day commando

Through fortuitous circumstances I found myself in LA for business the first week in May. Told DW and DSD that I would not be going to Disneyland because I really did not want to expend the money and effort to get there from my downtown hotel. BUT I REALLY WANTED TO GO!! I had not been since about 1968 and it was my last family trip with my late grandmother. I was 9 years old and had childhood memories of the Disney magic.

To make a long story short, I found out that one of the tour services ran tours to Disneyland from my hotel for only $77 including a day pass, transportation, and 12 hours on your own at Disney land. I could not pass it up. My family and I had spent 8 days at WDW last Christmas and I was still in the Disney mood!

Disneyland was nothing like I remembered it. The only things that really came back to me were the It's a Small World pavilion, the submarine lagoon, and Main Street. Through careful use of FASTPASS and planning of my movement through the park, I really had a great day and saw a lot despite the huge Saturday crowd. I was able to do Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, POC, Star Tours, Innoventions, and had a front row seats for Fantasmic and the 45th Anniversary parade, and saw the new fireworks show. I walked the entire park except the Mickey section.

I loved the lush vegetation and all the flowers and natural beauty. Hard to believe you are in the middle of an urban area!!

My favorites were Indiana Jones (one of the very best Disney rides I have ever been on), POC (absolutely awesome and much better than at the MK in Florida), and the fully integrated presentation of Fantasmic--absolutely natural and awesomely staged on Tom Sawyer's Island.

I had a great time and urge anyone who has the time to take a trip out to Disneyland when you are out that way.
Doctor P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2000, 12:26 PM   #2
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I'm glad you were able to get away from business for a day at Disneyland. I was there as a kid in the 60's, too, and a lot HAS changed.

It was a pleasure to meet you at the Chicago DIS meet last weekend, Doctor P!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2000, 04:24 AM   #3
Doctor P
Chocolate covered ginger doubles your pleasure
Lifetime Blackhawks fan!

Thanks Nancy, it was really good to meet you to. I trust you and DD made it back home in one piece? Hope to see you at another DIS meet in the future.

Doctor P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2001, 05:26 PM   #4
Marla Hellwig
I am loved by the masses
Addicted to Mickey bars!!
They call it getting lost, I prefer the term "creative exploring"
Ready for the next cruise

One day commando is the only way I have ever done DL. Sounds like a great day. Thanks for posting!
Marla Hellwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: