Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #1
BubblPopElectrc
DIS Veteran

How to Become Disney Wedding Planner?

After searching the internet, including the Disney Weddings site, I figured I would take a chance and see if someone here could point me in a right (heck, or any) direction.

Currently, I am in college studying education. I believe that I would like to switch majors, and eventually become a Wedding Planner, optimally at Disney. Any suggestions on how I could eventually do this? I just had a few questions to make sure that I get on the right track. As I said, I searched the Disney Weddings site to no avail.

Any help or suggestions would be great!
BubblPopElectrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
cryssi
Kabocha
Looking for the scripty one
I want to experiment with fondant flowers
Long live the white walls!!
I need the extra oomph

I would imagine that you have to know somebody, or work your way in. I know that a lot of them switch around jobs. I think the reason we had so many different planners was b/c the ones we were assigned to were switching positions. You probably have to get a resort/hotel job at Disney, then move around internally. Or work as a planner elsewhere and wait for an opportunity to arise...sorry that's probably not any help!
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblPopElectrc View Post
After searching the internet, including the Disney Weddings site, I figured I would take a chance and see if someone here could point me in a right (heck, or any) direction.

Currently, I am in college studying education. I believe that I would like to switch majors, and eventually become a Wedding Planner, optimally at Disney. Any suggestions on how I could eventually do this? I just had a few questions to make sure that I get on the right track. As I said, I searched the Disney Weddings site to no avail.

Any help or suggestions would be great!
Hi....I was on the same path as you and you have to start at WDW and eventually transfer to weddings or have many years of planning under your belt. This was given to me by a casting manager when I was hired at WDW (I did not take the position). Now I do major events in the Northeast.

Good Luck!!!

What people think of you is none of your business.
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #4
ohmersgirl
Earning My Ears

You might check into the WDW College Program. At one point I thought about doing the program (for a different reason then wedding planning), but really thought it looked like a cool experience. It would get your foot in the door down there at least. (I never did the program BTW, as my classes didn't match up now I needed them to in order to go ) Good Luck!

Matt
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spring 1997 - Offsite
Spring 1998 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
Spring 1999 - Villas across from Downtown Disney (no longer there)
Spring 2000 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
Summer 2002 - Fort Wilderness Cabins
Spring 2004 - Offsite

HOPING TO RETURN FALL 2008
ohmersgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
smoof
I've earned my ears!!!

My wedding planner had her own business, she isn't a DFTW planner, but she worked as a party planner at Disney prior to opening her business. You would probably have to start in event planning, etc...

smoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
BubblPopElectrc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoof View Post
My wedding planner had her own business, she isn't a DFTW planner, but she worked as a party planner at Disney prior to opening her business. You would probably have to start in event planning, etc...
I would actually love that (event planning) as a start.

Thanks for all the suggestions everywhere. I appreciate it!
BubblPopElectrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
sunsh1ne
DIS Veteran

cp

i rad the above post about the collee program. i agree completly i have done the college program once regular an once advanced. I can down so i could teach for them and that is how i got my foot in the door i know teach at their preschool and will eventually move to the elementary. yu must do a reagular internship before you can do advanced these are not so glamorouse but they are a great experience. then they give one person a year a internship as a wedding lanner and most of them become planners. what a great asperation good luck
sunsh1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
crzyred
I'm lucky any of my clothes are clean, let alone wrinkle free!
I don't do the whole thinking thing!

hello there. it sounds like me talking...lol. i was enrolled for elementary education but then switched to Interior Design. we are able to do internships at many different wedding planning locations in my area, because interior design is more than just painting a room. there are very specific areas you can get into, such as wedding planning. this might be something you want to look into. hope that helps!
crzyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #9
SRUAlmn
DIS Veteran

I don't know if this helps, but at our planning session, our EM said she worked at the California Grill for 20-30 years before moving over to DFTW. I would think you probably need a degree in hotel/restaurant management or maybe business management?
**September 2004 - Pop Century (first trip together)
**January 2007 - POFQ (Wedding Planning Trip)
**July 2007 - Contemporary (WDW Wedding & Honeymoon)
**Thanksgiving 2007 - Pop Century
**July 2008 - Grand Floridian, Coronado Springs Jr. Suite, Contemporary Club Level MK View
**July 2009 - Boardwalk Inn Deluxe Club Level
**July 2010 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Savanna View)
**June 2012 - Dolphin (2 Bedroom Grand Suite)
**June 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room)
**July 2014 - Bay Lake Tower (2 Bedroom, Theme Park View)
SRUAlmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Rustyflwr3
"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing–that it was all started by a mouse"

I agree with all of the other posters! You probably have to get your foot in the door with another job before moving to weddings! Go take a look at the college board. There are some people over there that are doing internships with the wedding department right now...they may be able to offer some advice! Good Luck, great goals!!

January 5th, 2007 - Our move to Orlando, FL

January 13th, 2007 - Our Magical DFTW
Rustyflwr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #11
IHeartWayne
Mouseketeer

Look what I found...

I found the Disney career web site and there is a WC internship posted. It seems you have to be a CP alumni and currently enrolled in college working towards your degree. Check out the link below... There are lots of interesting opportunities on the website! Makes me want to move a couple of hours north and work for the mouse!!

https://disney.recruitmax.com//main/...dsToHighlight=

DFTW July 13, 2006
IHeartWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
Beckei
Earning My Ears

Hello!
I've done the Disney College Program and it was the BEST experience! They encourage you to network with heads of other departments and they make them available to you. Anyways, I met up with the head of the Wedding Planning department and I asked her how you become one. She said most people start as a server and work their way up. I do agree with others who have been saying you can transfer to one dept to another though. I shadowed her for a wedding or two and I feel if the internship hadn't have ended I could have kept shadowing and maybe become one.. Just a thought..
Beckei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
MonorailPilotMulan
Making Magic For Three Years

When you work for the Company, you have access to an internal Disney jobs listings site and I saw a couple part-time Wedding Planner positions available a couple months back. I wish I could remember what the requirements were that were listed. Regardless, those that work for DFTW are considered managerial positions, meaning that you can't just transfer into it like you can from Merchandise to Attractions or from Transportation to Recreation. There are a bit more stringent requirements to get in and it would require a college education, unlike front line positions. Maybe a position will be posted again sometime in the future...
Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
cinby01
Earning My Ears

dream job
cinby01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #15
cinby01
Earning My Ears

great info
cinby01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: