Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #31
addicted_to_WDW
He's a teenaged skate rat. I'm a 39 year old woman.
If you hear The Imperial March when you see me.. run for cover!

At my largest I was a size 24, sometimes 26 and weighed almost 280. I never had a tough time with my knees but my feet absolutely KILLED me every night, to the point where I was in tears. That was when I thought, "that's enough." Still struggling, but I'm down to 200 and the difference 80 pounds made is huge. My feet are sore at night, but normal people sore. Even a little weight loss will help.

I can't wait to do WDW at 150!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:47 AM   #32
barbarabee
Mouseketeer

You might want to pick up a copy of the Passporter Guide to WDW for special needs. It has a lot of great information for people with all sorts of needs, including people who are concerned about their size. Here is a link:
http://www.passporterstore.com/store/1587710188.aspx
Register to remove

Old 02-28-2007, 04:00 PM   #33
pjb_hockey_mom
Reminds me of a bad attempt at an Etch a Sketch drawing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyWDW View Post
This is what worries me the most. I am a size 16 and am happy to hear that people don't have many issues with the rides, but I am worried about all the walking especially at Epcot. I have bad knees (from years of playing soccer and two pretty sever knee injuries. I did not gain weight until AFTER I had to stop playing due to the knee issues) and I am terrified I won't have the stamina! Recently I started a healthier diet and am exercising a bit (doing a TON of walking on campus) so hopefully that will help.

It sounds to me like you're doing the right things to get yourself ready for the trip. I'm sorry about all your injuries.

My one suggestion is to invest in a good pair of sneakers/walking shoes...for me they can make all the difference.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:08 PM   #34
tomshortridge
Disney Dad

Walking

Sorry about the knee issues.

Probably the biggest thing your will have to realize is that you may not be able to "tour" at a rapid pace as directed by Tour Guide Mike and others.

Just take your time and enjoy it all and take breaks.

Watching the shows and parades will also give your feet and knees a break too!

Tom
WDW Coronado Springs 8/03 with my son and sister
WDW April 8 to 16, 2007 at Marriott Grande Vista with Family and Friends
WDW April 2 to 9, 2010 at Marriott Grande Vista with Family and Friends...we have waited too long!
tomshortridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #35
NewYorkRedNeck
Mouseketeer

Glad to know that at 300lbs I can fit in the rides... was weighing heavily( some pun intended lol) on my mind.. I love the rides but was kinda scared to go in line to find out Iwouldnt be able to fit.
NewYorkRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #36
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Walking and standing is the real issue, although you won't see my trying to get in the teacups!

Being Pooh sized myself, (last trip size 26), I have found many tricks to help with the walking.

Wear well broken in athletic shoes
Wear Thorlo socks or 2 pairs of socks at the same time.
Take an aspirin before you leave the hotel in the mornings.
Drink plenty of water ! ! !
Put your feet up at night. I may find a way to lean both legs up the side of a wall at night.
Take time to rest.

Many sporting goods stores will have the Thorlo socks. They are a bit pricey but well worth the money. They run $8 to $12 per pair. They have walking, running, and hiking socks. The hiking socks are the thickest. I'm leaning toward these for our April trip.

On our trip in 2002, my feet were hurting by 11:00 a.m. on the 1st day, and complete agony by day 3. In 2005, with the Thorlo socks, I had no foot issues until the 3rd day. I think I may have had issues then because I had only bought 2 pairs of Thorlo socks and was trying to alternate by wearing 2 pairs of regular socks, washing the special ones out in the room, etc.

Good Luck!
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #37
pearlieq
They can sit & spin
Imagine my shock when my cat slipped me the tongue
I've never been all that worried about getting cooties
I don't need chewy chunks

I agree that being Pooh-sized, being on your feet all day is the big issue, not fitting into rides.

Losing weight, even a little bit, really helps. I couldn't believe the difference just 30 pounds made!

Crocs also work wonders. My feet have never been so comfortable as in a new pair of Crocs (with socks) at WDW.

Get to the parks early and tour smart to avoid standing in line for a long time. It's actually the standing that's worse than the walking. Take any and every opportunity to sit and schedule your most physically demanding day first before the soreness sets in.

Make liberal use of the pool and hot tub at your hotel and put your feet up at night. I've also used the wall trick mentioned by a PP. Carry some Advil or Aleve (not Tylenol or Asprin) to help with pain.
Your underpants!
~TSA 2010
pearlieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #38
shakebear
Mouseketeer

although I myself am not overweight, it is so great to hear that Disney is doing this, just another reason to prove how incredibly amazing Disney truly is. There is absolutly no place that will ever top it, especially no theme park (although I dont like calling WDW that- it just sounds too .. hmm .. well , someone probably knows what I mean... :P)

shakebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #39
amykathleen2005
Wishing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlieq View Post
I agree that being Pooh-sized, being on your feet all day is the big issue, not fitting into rides.

Losing weight, even a little bit, really helps. I couldn't believe the difference just 30 pounds made!

Crocs also work wonders. My feet have never been so comfortable as in a new pair of Crocs (with socks) at WDW.

Get to the parks early and tour smart to avoid standing in line for a long time. It's actually the standing that's worse than the walking. Take any and every opportunity to sit and schedule your most physically demanding day first before the soreness sets in.

Make liberal use of the pool and hot tub at your hotel and put your feet up at night. I've also used the wall trick mentioned by a PP. Carry some Advil or Aleve (not Tylenol or Asprin) to help with pain.
Just 30lbs!!! That is a huge accomplishment, congrats!!
2011-Pop Century
May 2014-All Star Movies!
amykathleen2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #40
dohgusgus
BUT MOM, Disney World is only 2633.8 Miles Away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted_to_WDW View Post
At my largest I was a size 24, sometimes 26 and weighed almost 280. I never had a tough time with my knees but my feet absolutely KILLED me every night, to the point where I was in tears. That was when I thought, "that's enough." Still struggling, but I'm down to 200 and the difference 80 pounds made is huge. My feet are sore at night, but normal people sore. Even a little weight loss will help.

I can't wait to do WDW at 150!!!
How did you lose the weight?! I weigh around 240 and I want to lose alot of weight before my next trip in january. Please pm the details :]
dohgusgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:20 AM   #41
sweetascanbee
Mouseketeer

We have never been to WDW, only DL. I am Pooh plus size. I could fit everything except the teacups. I was Ok with that.

sweetascanbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:24 AM   #42
Boncho
DIS Veteran

I have a sister that is Pooh size and she had no problem on the airplane, any of the rides or anything else while at Disney. Just make sure you have something comfortable to wear on your feet.
Boncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #43
DisneyBridetoBe08
Earning My Ears

I'm pooh sized gal 24/26 and I ride everything. I love Disney.

Michelle
DisneyBridetoBe08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 02:17 AM   #44
AlyssinWonderland
Lost in the Looking Glass

Another thing Pooh sized disney patrons might want to check out is something called Bodyglide. When ever I go to WDW my inside thighs get rubbed completely raw and usually start to blister something awful! I have used deodrent to help with this...but according to a tip post I was reading BodyGlide is supposed to be fantastic! It is avaible for purchase at drugstore.com. I just looked it up and the price is 8.99. I will be purchasing some of this before my next trip.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:05 AM   #45
Art&Kim
This post composed entirely of recycled pixels...

Big!

We are both pooh sized, and had no problems anywhere atWDW. We rode everything, and I have 2 knee replacements!
Art&Kim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: