Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
febdisney
Earning My Ears

Doing Disney overweight

My family is going to Disney next month. I have never been (my dh has years ago) and neither have my children. I am overweight (size 24) and am wondering about larger people riding the rides. I would like to be able to ride some rides with my daughter. I am concerned about the seat sizes as well as any bars that might come across you (lock into place) to secure you in the seat.

Any information will be helpful. Thank you so much!
febdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:10 AM   #2
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

there's a whole faq for people of size on allearsnet.com. I also am size 24 and have had no trouble.
LindaBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
febdisney
Earning My Ears

ohhhhh - thank you!
febdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #4
addicted_to_WDW
He's a teenaged skate rat. I'm a 39 year old woman.
If you hear The Imperial March when you see me.. run for cover!

I'm a big gal too. I can ride everything; in fact, Disney's accessibility to people who are large is part of the reason I will always be loyal to the mouse.

The only things I have a bit of trouble with are the turnstile at Haunted Mansion and getting in and out of Space Mountain. You sit pretty low and if you are like me won't be all that graceful. Have fun, and don't worry!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
there's a whole faq for people of size on allearsnet.com. I also am size 24 and have had no trouble.
I jusat got back... unfortunately, I have ballooned to 6'1 and 380 lbs (although I still wont rent an ECV gosh Darn it). I was terrified I wouldn't fit... I have had it happen at IOA and at Six Flags. Had no troubles with Everest, with Rock and Roller Coaster or with Tower of Terror. Disney goes out of there way to make it safe for all and to let most people ride the ride. I am sure some can't fit, but the vast majority can.

FWIW, my little brother got back from IOA recently. He said they have changed some of the rides to accomodate Pooh sized patrons. SOme of the rows of the roller coasters have been changed to accomodate big people. Nice to see it.
yitbos96bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
addicted_to_WDW
He's a teenaged skate rat. I'm a 39 year old woman.
If you hear The Imperial March when you see me.. run for cover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post
FWIW, my little brother got back from IOA recently. He said they have changed some of the rides to accomodate Pooh sized patrons. SOme of the rows of the roller coasters have been changed to accomodate big people. Nice to see it.

Thanks for that info. I've avoided IOA because there is nothing worse than the embarassment of not fitting onto something. Maybe we'll give it a try.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted_to_WDW View Post
Thanks for that info. I've avoided IOA because there is nothing worse than the embarassment of not fitting onto something. Maybe we'll give it a try.
I would still call them to verify this. I have not visually seen it. Is there anyone out there that can confirm this?
yitbos96bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
tlinus
Proud Redhead
Johnny Depp sexy transcends all generations!!!!
we should have just bagged it

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitbos96bb View Post
I would still call them to verify this. I have not visually seen it. Is there anyone out there that can confirm this?
There are definately seats on the Hulk and Dueling Dragons for people of size.
I was there in October.

You could always go over to the Universal Boards. There are some topics about this already.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
snowman
DIS Veteran

Darla and I are both Pooh sized (24 & 28 respectively). We had no problems during our last trip but are both a bit nervous about Everest and Mission Space. The places with tight turnstiles normally have gates right beside them, just go thru the gate instead of the turnstile. You may have to have a CM open the gate, but I have never had one make a comment or ask why, they just quietly opened it for me. I had trouble with the turns at Country Bear, Small World and Haunted Mansion.

Relax, enjoy and have fun.

AKL - Jan, 2014 - Honeymoon with my new wife.

Old Trips
ASMo - Aug, 1999 (my bday)
DxL - Nov, 2000 (Carl turns 7)
PO-FQ - Jan, 2003 (Darla's bday)
WL - Aug 26-Sep 2, 2007 (my bday, part deux)
Dec, 2008

I've been boo'd by cuppycake
snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
wdw1014
Mouseketeer

I am also pooh sized. I road Everest last July with no problems at all. It was one awsome ride... So, go and have a great time...
Old 01-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #11
shaun&miranda
Mouseketeer

I love the idea that I am Pooh-sized - I've never heard of that before and shall always think of myself that way now

I've rode most of the rides in Disney and have never had an issue - and I am more like a size 26/28. The only thing, as some of the other people here have said, is that some turnstiles can be a bit snug - Country Bear Jamboree and Haunted Mansion (both in MK) are very snug fits! But I still got in. You do learn to perfect going through turnstiles on your tippy-toes

Seriously, I've never been on a Disney ride that was a problem - don't worry about it!

And for the record I have done Tower of Terror, RocknRoller Coaster, Mission Space, Test Track, Soarin, Space Mountain (not very easy to get out of!), Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, Everest, Kali River Rapids (this was a tight fit with me and my fiance sharing a double seat who is also Pooh sized, but we still fit!), Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, and loads more.

Hope this sets your mind at rest a bit

Miranda
(Worried I am more heffalump sized than Pooh sized!)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We got married at WDW Wedding Pavillion 24th May 2007
shaun&miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #12
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Wow glad to hear the IOA is accomodating larger people. I don't know if I would have fit or not but there was NO WAY I was going to try in the seat they have right near the entrance to the ride. (surrounded by a crowd of people!) I am chest challenged- my larger chest gives me problem with overhead kind of straps. And no thanks I won't be sqeezing them into a overhead strap to try it on with an audience....
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #13
Nadine&Scott
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I'm size 18-20. I find that some rides get tight, I guess you could ask Disney. I suggest not bringing anything extra on the rides it's difficult to schooch a backpack down between your legs onto the floor. Splash Mountain was a tight ride. The bars do tend to be adjustable.

Good Luck, Enjoy

Nadine
Nadine&Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:48 PM   #14
DisneyNeckCoolers
Mouseketeer

Just one thought about safety, though. I don't know how old and what size your children are, but if you should pair up with a small child, the rides with lapbars didn't seem to me to be safe for the small passenger. Although I was glad that I could fit all the rides, I became concerned with my child's safety in rides with lapbars because my legs were much larger than a child's and the lapbar only goes down as far as the top of the largest person's legs. Thank God nothing happened; but I definately didn't do those rides twice, if you know what I mean.
DisneyNeckCoolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
paperdoll67
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much! That was a concern of mine that has noe been put to rest.

Kelly
paperdoll67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: