Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

Advice from GoPro owners

Hi all,
I am intrigued by the GoPro video camera and wondered if it would be a good option for me. I am a point-and-shoot kind of girl although my husband has a high end Nikon digital SLR. We vacation 2-3 times a year, sometimes in the Caribbean where the waterproof GoPro would be great. The rest of the time is Europe, Disney, and cruises.
In my job, we are starting to see a need for high quality videos to showcase destinations so I am thinking I should maybe invest in a GoPro even though I don't do any kind of extreme sports. Or perhaps there is another camera I should consider?

thanks!
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW SSR VILLIANS UNLEASHED! Aug 2104;WDW October 2014; CBR/DCL December 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

From my viewpoint the GoPro is a 2nd rate camera in a world-class housing. Almost any decent camera that takes video would be better *except* when it has to survive harsh conditions, which is what GoPro was designed for. I use mine for bicycling, boating, etc but use my micro 4:3 for when I want good video.

Ymmv...

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
CaptainCook
Mouseketeer

I have a gopro that I love. I think the image quality is excellent (it has a certain 'look' that you either like or you don't) and it's really versatile. It's also easy to use because it's basically just on/off. But, it has limitations. There is no zoom on it, etc.

If I were you, I would search 'GoPro' on YouTube to get a sense of what is possible. Plenty of people shoot vacation videos with them. If you don't like what you see then perhaps look into something else.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
xlxo
DIS Veteran

For regular videos... I reach for my camcorder with optical zoom and image stabilization.

For a small clandestine camera that I have a capturing secondary video, I have my GoPro. If you do get a GoPro, I think it would be a great backup camera to a DSLR. Things to consider....
  • no stereo audio
  • no optical zoom
  • no image stabilization
  • battery life may be an issue. I recently got this extended battery for my 3+.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tery_back.html
  • controls may be awkward for a point 'n shoot.
  • no viewfinder.... need to wifi sync with phone. The wifi drains camera battery life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFTujs1CAkQ
xlxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #5
dad24
Earning My Ears

While the quality of video might not be as good as a DSLR.. it's not far off IMO. I have both, and they each serve a purpose.

Of course any DSLR is going to have a better sensor, lens, zoom etc

But for the beach, underwater, on rides, etc - the GoPro is def the way to go and is much more versatile. Also, the GoPro can record video at much higher frame rates, allowing you to have some fun with slow mo in the editing process - if that interests you at all.
dad24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: