Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
Skywise
DIS Veteran

Canon/iPhone Exif Stripping

For my next trip (T minus 10 days ) I'm planning on uploading some pics to my sister's facebook.

(I don't have my own facebook page because I'm a luddite but I digress... ).

I've got a Canon 6D and I've got the Canon app on my iPhone so the plan is to transfer the photos from the Canon to the iPhone and then text them to my sister for posting to her facebook.

I'd like to strip the Exif data first but it doesn't appear the Canon app or the built in iPhone photos app allows me to do that. I see there are several free apps on the app store that do - Does anyone have experience with them?
Skywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
hakepb
DIS Veteran

I'm curious why?
I guess I could understand a pro wanting to "protect" settings.

I have my phone set to disable location in EXIF, and at home, I disable my camera's built in GPS.... But on vacation, I turn on GPS.

For WDW pictures, millions of people know where Disney World is, you can't really hide where those pictures were taken.

If I want to protect my home while on vacation, then I just wait until I return home before posting pictures on Facebook.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Skywise
DIS Veteran

The location isn't the issue so much as the personal info- name, camera serial #, etc;
Old 12-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
SkaGoat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
The location isn't the issue so much as the personal info- name, camera serial #, etc;
You can remove your name by deleting the Artist info in camera before you shoot, and I'm not sure why someone knowing your Serial # matters....

my Canon 7D's serial number is : 0370301188 have at it...
Old 12-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Pixel Dust
It's a trap!

Facebook strips the exif when you upload and post them. There are exactly zero photos on Facebook with exif info. You are safe.

Now, we can't protect you from what your sister does to your photos using something other then Facebook.

Trip Reports: I Can Spot Frozen Fireworks Anywhere! 08/2014 ; All You Need is The Force, Trust and Pixie Dust! 05/2014
Wait! Where's your wedding ring? 10/2013 ; Food, friendship, flowers and a touch of the Force 05/2013 ; A Disney Geek-tastic Trip to the World 01/2013 ; Happily Ever After Begins Here 10/2012 ; Peekaboo, I see Pluto! A 1st Birthday TR 3/2012 ; Boo to Two 10/2011 ; A Failure to Launch 10/2010

02/09-Mariott Imperial Palms, 10/10-Mystic Dunes, 10/11-CR, 03/12-Windsor Hills, 10/12-BCV/AKV, 01/13-BWV, 05/13-BLT, 10/13-YC, 05/14-BWV, 08/14-VGF, 12/14-BWV, 04/15-BLT

Nikon D600
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 ED VR ; Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 G ; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ; Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ; Nikon SB-800 ; Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 Tripod
Pixel Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Skywise
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post
Facebook strips the exif when you upload and post them. There are exactly zero photos on Facebook with exif info. You are safe.

Now, we can't protect you from what your sister does to your photos using something other then Facebook.
Thanks -

And yeah... that could be a problem.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #7
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Dust View Post

Yea, really. If you want to figure out how to make some money, figure out hot to retain the EXIF data on FB uploads. I'd gladly pay for a utility that posts to FB and retains my copyright information.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: