Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #301
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Dinner 07 JAN 09

Well, I just finished posting my pictures from last night - and IE times me out (I usually use Firefox), wipes out my work. Will have to re-do, but don't have the heart for it at the moment. Later.

ehagerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #302
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

I am so sorry all your work got lost, but I am soooo much looking forward to your new pictures!!! I hope you had a fantastic meal!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #303
hmillerbarilla
DIS Veteran

I'm really looking forward to the pics too! You always so such a great job!
We're going to the world in less than a month, and I'm really hoping to pop in for some sushi & wine. YUM!
82, 86, 91-Poly, 94-CBR, 95-CBR, 97-CBR, 98-CR/CBR, 99-CBR, 02-POFQ, 04-CBR, 05-CBR, 06-ASMu, 06-CBR, 07-CBR, 08-BWV, 09-Poly/GF, 09-POP/OKW,10-POR/WL/BLT,10-SSR/CR/BLT,10-OKW,10-YC/BCV, 11-BWV/OKW/BCV, 12-POR/BLT, 12-SSR, 12-AKV/BLT,12-SSR, 13-BWV, 13-AKV, 13-CBR, 13-CSR, 14-AKV/SSR, 14-CBR/POFQ, 14-ASsp, 14-AOA/BCV/OKW, 14-CBR
15-BLT
hmillerbarilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #304
Princess_Melanie
Princess in Training

This thread is AMAZING!! I booked me and DBF there for next week - I'm taking him to WDW for a week for his 30th Birthday and it was a huge secret surprise! I asked him for a list of restaurants he'd like to try a year ago and one of them was CG - having seen the thread I'm sooooo excited!!

They have his reservation marked as a Birthday, and I need to call back to mark my cheese allergy on the reservation (I totally forgot when I made the bookings at 180 days - I was under pressure to get them right!!)

Thank you so much for taking all the amazing pictures - they are really something!!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #305
mamaprincess
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Gorgeous!

Your photos are just phenomenal! Absolutely breath-taking. You are truly an artist. Thank you so much for sharing your exceptional talent with us. CG is now on my list for our next trip.

Last edited by mamaprincess; 01-08-2009 at 03:17 PM.
mamaprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #306
luckytobeme88
Proud mom of soon-to-be MIT Freshman!! Don't stop short at your limit! Your limit is where you stop trying. Application fee $70. Getting accepted $Priceless

Ellen, it's great to see that you have some new and beautiful as always pictures to add.
luckytobeme88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #307
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehagerty View Post
Well, I just finished posting my pictures from last night - and IE times me out (I usually use Firefox), wipes out my work. Will have to re-do, but don't have the heart for it at the moment. Later.
Can't wait!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #308
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Pictures, Sunday - Promise!

I will post pictures from home later this weekend, along with our once-a-decade meal at V&A. Other than that, we have pretty much given up on the dining plan and reverted to enjoying inexpensive family meals in our DVC room, with the occasional DDE night out.

See you then!

Old 01-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #309
FredQc
Fred

I'm going to Disney World with the regular Disney Dining Plan for the first time and I just made a reservation for the California Grill. I know that DDP doesn't include appetizer, but is the same rule applied in 2TS restaurants?
FredQc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #310
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Comments on comments....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
I hope you had a fantastic meal!
We did, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmillerbarilla View Post
We're going to the world in less than a month, and I'm really hoping to pop in for some sushi & wine. YUM!
Sushi - outstanding, as always
Wine - you may already be an expert, but if, like me, you are not, definitely ask for recommendation from the staff. Billy, our server this trip, recommended a very reasonable "Mer Soliel, Central Coast" ($15/glass) that I really liked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Melanie View Post
I booked me and DBF there for next week - I'm taking him to WDW for a week for his 30th Birthday and it was a huge secret surprise! I asked him for a list of restaurants he'd like to try a year ago and one of them was CG - having seen the thread I'm sooooo excited!!

They have his reservation marked as a Birthday, and I need to call back to mark my cheese allergy on the reservation (I totally forgot when I made the bookings at 180 days - I was under pressure to get them right!!)
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaprincess View Post
CG is now on my list for our next trip.
Always glad hear people are willing to give it a try - let us know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckytobeme88 View Post
Ellen, it's great to see that you have some new and beautiful as always pictures to add.
Thanks - and go, Sabres!! (My parents had to provide game time updates last week, as they are no broadcast even at ESPN unless playing a local or large-market team).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredQc View Post
I'm going to Disney World with the regular Disney Dining Plan for the first time and I just made a reservation for the California Grill. I know that DDP doesn't include appetizer, but is the same rule applied in 2TS restaurants?
Actually, I am not sure, as rules change annually. This being January, I refer you the following links for more accurate information:

Click here for link to allearsnet recap of dining plan

Click here for discussion thread to ask questions

Old 01-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #311
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Dinner - January, 2009

Background - from 2001-2005, we bought and used food vouchers (no longer available, no need to ask how to get them!!). From 2006-2007, we used the DDP to the max. Starting in 2008, we experimented between DDP and DDE (as annual passholders, we enrolled). For 2009, we are unlikely to use the DDP - having to pay the tip out of pocket "sealed the deal". This is not really a discussion of the merits of the various plans (they are discussed more fully on other threads), but rather a backdrop to today's post, specifically (a) the precipitous decline the number of food pictures overall and (b) how we choose the "remaining" restaurants where we choose to spend money.

Context - this was just a quick getaway from winter, post Christmas, before sons return to college. Meal "plan" was to shop at Wal-mart and eat in room (which we did), with 2 exceptions:
(a) California Grill - which never disappoints for food, wine, ambience
(b) Victoria & Albert - a one-a-decade meal, different thread.

Setting

Wednesday, January 7 was the only overcast day we had. It makes for a spectacular sunset, but limits the natural light which showcases many of the previous pictures posted.

Here is the sunset. Food pictures with flash to follow.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #312
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Amuse Bouche

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup with Poached Lobster, crisp Apple, and Coriander-Lime Creme Fraiche

This may look like just another cup of soup, but it was a delight on all levels. My children have never been willing to eat squash - in other words, preconceived preferences should be overlooked when considering trying this dish - we all loved this!! It had many interesting complex flavors and textures. While offered as "amuse bouche", it is available on the menu - and we all hope it will be on the menu when we return in May. Voted "best overall" in a meal composed of all great dishes. Must try for anyone who thinks it sounds interesting.

Created by Chef Dennis:

one of the ever friendly, accessible chefs and restaurant staff at the California Grill....

BTW - my son commented that he had never heard of "amuse bouche" before - and then he heard it 3 times this trip. They had enough French to translate "amuse the mouth" - fancy French phrase for "tickle the tastebuds". Anytime!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #313
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Flatbread

Roasted Chicken Applewood Bacon, Crisp Romaine, Sweet Onions, Provolone, and Lemon Mayonnaise

This doesn't beautifully display the dish - I forgot the "pre-eat" photo - but it still gives a sense of what it looks like.

It was tasty, but not very challenging - the kind of dish they have to have in each category for someone who doesn't like any unfamiliar flavors. Highly recommended for the cunlinary unadventurers club.

Myself, I would have ordered "Bresaola and Gruyere Cheese Flatbread with Caramelized Onions and Winter Black Truffle". Next time.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #314
ehagerty
DIS Veteran

Bread

...and Olive Oil

If you have followed previous posts, you know how much the sun can improve a picture - but at least it is still "informative" as to what you will get in the way of bread. Fresh, crisp, delicious, as always.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #315
PNO4TE
DIS Musician
Piano Teacher
Can't stay awake at night for the "hen parties"

As usual, Ellen, your photography is superb.

"Music... this is the favorite passion of my soul." ~ Thomas Jefferson
‎"Good wine is a necessity of life for me" ~ Thomas Jefferson

In memory of June. 09/04/06. "Keep the board going for me while I'm gone..."
PNO4TE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: