Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
lecach
Will not get out of bed unless the time on the clock is even
Has a bacon gifting MIL

Alcove above fireplace, how to decorate?

We're in a new home that features an alcove above the fireplace for I assume a TV. But we don't use it for that. I need some decorating ideas for it. Right now we have a picture (really more of an iron decorative thing from Kirklands) hanging in there but I think we need something else to jazz it up. Any advice on places to look for ideas?

I don't have an actual picture of the alcove in our house, but here is a link to the builders website. Our house is the Preston II. If you click on the little interior photos there is one of our living room: http://www.standardpacifichomes.com/....aspx?NID=1153
POFQ - March 2009 40th Birthday Extravaganza**Marriott Grande Vista - FREE (using Marriott points)! - May 10-17, 2008**POFQ - 5 times**POR - 1 time (3/2004)**Offsite at Fairfield Inn & Suites (5/2002)**Offsite for first trip (1994)
lecach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
cardaway
DIS Veteran

We have a large framed print hiding the outlets for the TV and large glass art pieces (Chihuly) on the flat part. Best place for them in the house. It's unlikley they could get bumped and broken there, and they can't fall off in an earthquake (we lost one in a earthquake in our old house).

Yes, almost all of these alcoves are wired for a TV but very few use it for that. So far I think I have seen one person using it out of at least 50 houses with the same feature.
cardaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

I like the pictures on the builder's website where they have it painted a darker color and then put a few display things there. You could find a print to hang in the back (filling up most of the back, maybe leaving 3" all around, pick out a color in the print to paint the alcove, get some fun candlesticks, a small statue or other piece of art and put a grouping to one side of the print.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: