Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2006, 12:04 PM   #16
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Don't worry nearly all of the French speak English anyway! They are also used to the Brits broken french whilst using lots of arm actions You will make yourself understood, although I do realise part of going to a foreign country is trying to learn their language so good luck.
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #17
JulieWent
DIS Veteran

Jo,

It was funny. Not long ago, I was part of a thread in which we were discussing trying to pick up various languages for our travels, and someone (I can't remember who) came on the thread to remind us that we didn't need to learn a new language to visit the United Kingdom. We should remember, the person said quite seriously, that English was spoken there.

On a serious note, though, have you traveled in France frequently? Are the French generally patient with those of us who are "just trying out" the language?

And, back to England, have you spent any time in the Stratford-Upon-Avon, Warwickshire area? We are thinking of spending several days there, and I was wondering about it.

Julie
JulieWent is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #18
LisaTex
Mouseketeer

Hi Julie and all. Have been away for a while. We will be on the June 8 trip. We are planning on DLP before we are off to the Med cruise. We did the Hawaii ABD trip last summer. If the guides are anything like the ones we had, they will do all they can to help arrange transportation. It looks like a 30-40 min ride from the Hilton Arc de Triomph to DLP. We will prob just grab a cab - the thought of all our luggage on the train or bus is scary!! I am not much of a planner - thanks to all of your info - i don't feel so panicked now!!

LisaTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:10 PM   #19
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Julie,

DH and I escaped the kids last year and did Paris, totally exhausted ourselves and I'm sure we walked more miles than at Disney! But we saw all the sights in 3 days so it was worth it. The French don't really have much patience with the Brits (don't flame me if you're french!) but I'm sure an American accent would get a better responce. Like all nationalities it is appreciated when foreigners try their language so go for it.

With regard to Warwickshire I'm afraid I can't help, I think I went to Warwick castle once as a child but can't remember more. As with most people I never really explore my own country, too busy flying to Florida or the Carribbean for the sun. Maybe when the DD's have left home DH and I can tour the UK. DH is a golf pro and wants to do the senior circuit when he's old enough (quite a long way off) so we could tie the two together. I do know about Suffolk (born there and parents still live there), Norfolk (DH born there, inlaws still do) and I now live South East in Kent.

Jo
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:52 PM   #20
JulieWent
DIS Veteran

Jo,

Thank you so for the reassurance. I realize there's some tension between the British and French. (I had a student last year from England. He complained and complained when we read Les Miserables. It was good natured complaining, but it was a funny reminder of the tension you speak of.) I fear that we may encounter some of the same tension given the current political situation, but I really want to go. That's one of the reasons I'm really trying to learn some of the language.

In regards to your husbands golf aspirations, we live on one of the South's largest golf trails in the States. So, if you ever make it here to do a grand golf tour, remember my web name here on the DIS.

Julie
JulieWent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:52 PM   #21
ppiew
DIS Veteran

To KLondon: we took this tour last August and it was great! As far as the England stuff, we took a train to St Austell the first nite and spent the next day at the Eden Project, then took the train (another 3 hrs) to Penzance. It was a quick ride the next day to Lands End, St Ives and Michels Mount - fantastic Cornish places all! Frankly, I was glad we didn't have a car - roads are narrow and nowhere to park near the sites. Train was super! We did see DLP for 2 days at the end of the tour and that was also great. Two days was sufficient to spend time seeing the parks, and frequently shuttles from the hotels to CDG were also easy to use.
ppiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #22
HoyaMom
Earning My Ears

There is great insight in this forum - I actually used it to convince DH that ABD London/Paris is the way to go for a special trip with my parents - Thanks! MJGirl, we are booking for June 29, 2007 as well - there are 6 of us (4 adults, 2 children).
HoyaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:23 PM   #23
MJGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoyaMom View Post
There is great insight in this forum - I actually used it to convince DH that ABD London/Paris is the way to go for a special trip with my parents - Thanks! MJGirl, we are booking for June 29, 2007 as well - there are 6 of us (4 adults, 2 children).
Great! Looking forward to meeting you. It will be my daughter (16)and I (??) How old are the children? I can't wait! Only 5 months 3 weeks and 5 days to go (but who's counting).
I "Dream" of a "Fantasy" full of "Magic" and "Wonder"
MJGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #24
KLondon
Mouseketeer

A very belated 'thanks' to all of you for posting on this thread. I've been offline last few weeks - well, New Year's at DisneyWorld and 2 weeks of recovery - so I'm just getting caught up!
KLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #25
nbodyhome
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieWent View Post
My biggest problem in learning a little French right now is that I speak a good deal of Spanish. I keep finding myself lapsing into the Spanish: un, deux, trois, quatro, cinco, seis..... Oops. That ought to really confuse some poor person at the post office! :-)

Au Revoir

Julie
I am glad I don't know any other languages, I've been working on my French for a couple of years almost now (not that it's great, but it gets me by!) I am heading back to London/Paris by myself, not on ABD in April for 9 days. I'd not drive in England, definitely (we have taken 1 day tours to Stonehenge, Bath, Portsmouth, etc.)

If you do learn a little French, you'll find that a LOT of Parisians actually do speak very good English. At least good compared with my French. We stayed in a non-touristy part of Paris last trip (it is where I'm staying in April), and I'd heard that fewer people in that neighborhood spoke English. Not so! The laundromat owner knew English, the lovely Italian restaurant we enjoyed, the owner there knew quite a bit (and had English menus!), a girl who worked at the Boulangerie was half American, half French. It was pretty amazing, there always seemed to be around who spoke English (the only bad thing, I didn't get to use as much of my French!) The Monoprix cashier didn't know English, but the woman behind me did - so she was able to translate. And this was in a residential neighborhood. "Merci, S'il Vous Plait, and Bon Jour" are all important phrases.

Last edited by nbodyhome; 01-20-2007 at 06:00 PM.
nbodyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #26
KLondon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
... I'd not drive in England, definitely (we have taken 1 day tours to Stonehenge, Bath, Portsmouth, etc.)...
Interesting that you say that - we're struggling around this very issue! Can you tell me a bit about how you arranged these kinds of tours?

We'll be doing the ABD London/Paris trip in July, and we're planning to arrive in London a few days early to see a bit of Southern England. My first thought was to rent a car and drive a bit, but I remembered a previous experience (some 25 years ago) with driving in England and now I'm thinking rail or bus trips would be the way to go (especially with kids!).

Any suggestions?
KLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #27
ppiew
DIS Veteran

We took a City Bus tour to Stonehenge and to Windsor castle. It was great! We took the train to Bath, I think we changed trains at Reading but I could be wrong. There are also numerous Blue Badge guides that do private driving trips and they are so knowledgeable.
ppiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #28
nbodyhome
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLondon View Post
Interesting that you say that - we're struggling around this very issue! Can you tell me a bit about how you arranged these kinds of tours?

We'll be doing the ABD London/Paris trip in July, and we're planning to arrive in London a few days early to see a bit of Southern England. My first thought was to rent a car and drive a bit, but I remembered a previous experience (some 25 years ago) with driving in England and now I'm thinking rail or bus trips would be the way to go (especially with kids!).

Any suggestions?
First, it depends on where you want to go. You can book many itineraries on Expedia, but I went through Astral Travels to get the inner circle tour. There are many companies that do tours, Astral is one I've used several times (if you see the Stonehenge Tour Company, that is Astral Travels as well). Of course, there is rail as well. I do enjoy the tours - they are great for seeing a number of things (and then I am sure I'll go back to see some places myself without a tour sometime).

We have Stonehenge and Bath photos on the website, but Portsmouth was last year (and I've not put those up).

Denise

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: