Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Happy and Sad at the same time over the impending birth of my grandchild- She's here!

Update- My daughter just called.

Julie Michelle was born at 6:50 PM. She was 6 pounds 9 ounces and 19 inches long.

Daughter and baby are both doing well.

We are going to see her tomorrow evening.

Update- She just called and is in labor. She is 8 centimeters so I think we won't have to wait much longer.

My first grandchild is due on Christmas. I am thrilled I am going to be a Grandma. But at the same it is making me miss my late husband. It has been 11 years since he passed but he would be so thrilled that his daughter was having a baby.

I have warned my daughter about my feelings, and she is missing her dad too. So I am sure we will be quite the family when we go to see her and her husband and my brand new granddaughter.

You know just when you think you are doing well dealing with this you have those moments.

My parents would be thrilled to be great grand parents. Maybe it is the time of year since this is the time of year that my mother died.

I am sure once I pass the hurdle of dealing with this I will be so thrilled with the new little bundle of joy. Our very own Disney princess to spoil.

Wish me luck.

Last edited by safetymom; 12-19-2006 at 09:31 PM.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Mackey Mouse
Me read the Navigator? I don't think so

tsk, tsk said in my best Bahsten accent

Tommy made Flubber

DISboards Moderator

Absolutely I hear you. I do think part of it is this time of year, hugs, and then I think of my own having her first and our first and I pray that Tommy is well to enjoy being a Grandfather... so I hear ya...

Hugs to you sweetie.. I am a pm away when you want to talk..

Co-Moderator Restaurant Boards
Moderator, Coping and Compassion Board

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
Mackey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-15-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Missy Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom
My first grandchild is due on Christmas. I am thrilled I am going to be a Grandma. But at the same it is making me miss my late husband. It has been 11 years since he passed but he would be so thrilled that his daughter was having a baby.

I have warned my daughter about my feelings, and she is missing her dad too. So I am sure we will be quite the family when we go to see her and her husband and my brand new granddaughter.

You know just when you think you are doing well dealing with this you have those moments.

My parents would be thrilled to be great grand parents. Maybe it is the time of year since this is the time of year that my mother died.

I am sure once I pass the hurdle of dealing with this I will be so thrilled with the new little bundle of joy. Our very own Disney princess to spoil.

Wish me luck.

to you. It's very normal to feel this way...it is certainly a time for very mixed emotions. Nothing will ever fill the void your husband's death left, but just know you will be filled with joy in ways you never knew possible with this beauty little bundle.
Missy Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #4
safetymom
Have will travel

Thank you both. I know I can do this but it hurts at the same time. I am excited though at the thought of the new grandchild.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:07 PM   #5
CDSTapisRouge
Once upon a time began a tale...

I can't say that I know what you are going through, but I do feel for you and I am here too... You know how to get a hold of me if you need to talk.
CDSTapisRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
safetymom
Have will travel

Thank you.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
luvwinnie
And how are YOU feeling?
My happy thought: Sitting on Main Street eating ice cream.
Can't tell the difference between Burger King and Wendys

I understand completely. My mom passed away 9 mths. before my youngest niece grad. from high school and I cried through the whole ceremony because I was so sad my mom couldn't be there. She lived for events like that...she was the best mom and grandma.
luvwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
safetymom
Have will travel

Thank you luvwinnie.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
JunieJay

SSDN
I feel very connected to my strong Italian
Alan Rickman is at the top of the list

Sometimes a new baby is exactly what a person needs who is looking for solace after having lost a loved one. When my children were born the "circle of life" was so evident to me. Both take after my parents in so many ways, and I really believe my parents continue to live on through my children (and all their grandchildren). I hope you find the same to be true. Congratulations on the impending birth, may your joys be many.
JunieJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
safetymom
Have will travel

JunieJay, thank you for your perspective. I see so much of my late husband in my kids. My youngest was 9 when his dad died and it is amazing how much like him he is.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:01 PM   #11
Yardbird
Picks up a variety of nuts every few weeks
I have one in the center of my right hand
butter or nothing for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunieJay
Sometimes a new baby is exactly what a person needs who is looking for solace after having lost a loved one. When my children were born the "circle of life" was so evident to me. Both take after my parents in so many ways, and I really believe my parents continue to live on through my children (and all their grandchildren). I hope you find the same to be true. Congratulations on the impending birth, may your joys be many.
You never fail to put into words the perfect thing to say, in any given situation. You would make a great therapist.

Safetymom, it's understandable that you are missing your husband during this happy time, and wanting to share your joy with him. There is nothing in the world any more wonderful than holding your first grandchild in your arms for the first time. You have so much to look forward to!

Have you thought about putting together a scrapbook/photo album for her, of her granddad? That way, as she grows, you can share him with her, through stories and pictures. This could also be a special way for you to bring his memory into this blessed event.

Congratulations grandma!
Yardbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:16 PM   #12
safetymom
Have will travel

Thank you Yardbird. I have started working on a scrapbook for the grandchild and my kids. After losing my husband and mother in a short period of time I realize that I now hold the family stories. It's time for me to get cracking on this project.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #13
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Safetymom, I want to give you a hug!

When I read your post, I was very touched. It actually made me cry.

This time of the year easily makes our emotions raw. I am sorry to hear that you lost a very important half of you. I do not know personally what that feels like, but I would be willing to bet that it is always there.

Congratulations on the upcoming grandbaby. I really hope the visit is pleasant for you and the tears are all happy ones.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and will say prayers for you!
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
safetymom
Have will travel

Thank you bytheblood. I know the "drill" of how to handle it but sometimes it is the leading up to the event or after that hurts the most.

I am going to be thrilled holding the new grandbaby but there will be some tears of sadness for those that couldn't be there.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:34 PM   #15
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetymom
Thank you bytheblood. I know the "drill" of how to handle it but sometimes it is the leading up to the event or after that hurts the most.

Yeah, that I understand.

Be sure to post some pictures of that baby : and let us know how it went.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: