Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2007, 02:29 PM   #106
Disfan3
Viking Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZUB View Post
2. What do you mean LaLa sent packages to your room?!!! We didn't get ANYTHING from LaLa when we were at the Lodge in September. I feel shunned. It's outrageous. Egregious. Preposterous.

YEAH!! WHATZUP WITH THAT??? I never got jack from lala at the Poly....course I never sent lala jack at the AK either....

I will do better next time I hope
POR AB March 2007
Beach Club Sept '07,CR Tower September '09
SSR2BR March '10~~ Baby's first trip
Grand Floridian Club Level Feb '11...another 1st! return to GF Oct '11
Kidani Village '12 (big, fat family vacation!)
Sugarloaf Oct '12, Yacht Club CL 2013 FWF
Beach Club Villas '13

Old 01-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #107
bunnysmum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Would I be the first Disser in DIS history to think that a good day at home is better than a bad day at Disney?
No, no, and I state emphatically again, NO! You would not be! Here's proof from my own humble and recent attempt at TR'ing:

Quote:
This would become something of a motto for our WDW experience: “Could this day get any better?” Because really, whether or not you actually scored that CRT Breakfast ADR, or managed to be the first to wake Tink at the Magic Kingdom, or got picked to be in the Jammin’ Jungle Parade…doesn’t pretty much ANY day at the World beat the bejabbers out of your usual day? Call me crazy, but I’d rather wait in for Ariel’s autograph than vacuum. I somehow prefer posing for another PhotoPass picture to reminding Bunny to round up her bookbag, boots, gloves, hat, snowpants, and library book. And I’ll take making small talk with Mickey and Pluto over the infamous hot lunch/cold lunch debates any old time.
Will you forgive me for that shameless plug of my own trip report? I hope so, cause I want you to know how thorougly entertained by yours! Kudos, my friend, very well done, indeed! And it ain't even over yet, to my utter delight!

And while I'm at it, why not just overlook that little comment I made in my earlier post about my not being the only obsessed uberDisNerd who uses color coded Excel spreadsheets to plan the DisTrip itenerary...I certainly wouldn't presume to call YOU an obsessed uberDisNerd...not that there's anything wrong with that... (again)

Thanks for this TR, and for making me think seriously about considering AKL for our next DisTrip. Yeah, thanks a lot. For that.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #108
LaLa
Hangs with the Mensas
Uses her boss as a coat rack while she dances
Dreams of running with the big dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZUB
What do you mean LaLa sent packages to your room?!!! We didn't get ANYTHING from LaLa when we were at the Lodge in September. I feel shunned. It's outrageous. Egregious. Preposterous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disfan3 View Post
YEAH!! WHATZUP WITH THAT??? I never got jack from lala at the Poly....course I never sent lala jack at the AK either....

I will do better next time I hope

Allright, you little whiny babies. Settle down. Disfan hit the nail on the head. I'm really not spontaneously sweet and thoughtful. It just appears that way. My girl NM sent a very cool package to the LaLas first. I was only following her sweet lead. So if you need somebody to blame, blame her. It's always served me well in the past.

But I do feel bad for leavin' yall out of the Mickey Circle of Love and Prizes. And since I don't want yall to oppose LaLa, I took it upon myself to pick out a lil sumpm sumpm JUST FOR YALL. It's really, really special and very unique.

Here. Have a button. No, have two.

But wait. There's more.

I'm planning on sending yall some Mickey Love for your next trip. In your baskets, among some other things that I can't think of right now, you'll find a smokin' hot lime green Tshirt that reads "OUTTA MY WAY! I'M ZZUB FROM THE DIS, DANGIT!" and a coconut bikini top/grass skirt combo straight from the Poly gift shop.

The coconut bikini is for ZZUB and the shirt's all Disfan.

Ahhhh yeah!

NM, I'm LOVING your TR. Keep it comin' Woman! I gotta know if yall liked Jiko. Odd. That rhymes. Almost as if I did it on purpose.

Last edited by LaLa; 01-23-2007 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Step up Napoleon!
Old 01-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #109
Disfan3
Viking Blood

your generosity abounds la.
Z will look ever so smokin' hot in the coconuts....

NM...we need some more!!! GET HERE NOW!!!
POR AB March 2007
Beach Club Villas '13

Last edited by Disfan3; 01-22-2007 at 09:12 PM. Reason: could you see me in a ZZUB from the DIS shirt???? DEDEDEDED!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #110
jaycns
I am green with envy. Vanilla Ice is MY closet obsession!
I've got PUNKY POWER!
ppppfartttt - it was the SHOES! I swear!
It's wonderful to see the dropper of the poo

I am lovin' your writin' style! Thanks for sharin' a great trip report with us! I am lookin' forward to sharing in more adventures! You get my 's up rating! Thanks for a great read!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #111
serendipity
DIS Veteran

I love it. The anticipation while waiting for the dream fastpasses, or of course LaLa's lifelong vacations. A button.....just a tad of a let down. At least the little ones were satisfied. Thanks for another great read. Can't wait to hear more about Turkey Day.
January 2008- Paris (with day trip to Disneyland Paris), Germany, Austria, Florence and Rome!!!/May 2007- Honeymoon at Disneyland and the great out west!/February 2007-Long weekend at POR/November 2007-Early Christmas at ASSp/WL/AKL/April 2006-Birthday celebration/1st trip with my husband at ASMo/AKL/1996-2000- Summers in Orlando every year to visit my Grandmother

Old 01-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #112
Disfan3
Viking Blood

I need some more TR NM...ASAP!!
POR AB March 2007
Beach Club Villas '13

Old 02-02-2007, 05:38 AM   #113
lexmelinda
Has a Seussical googling DD
I'll remember from now on

Just stopping by for some popcorn...hoping the show will start again soon. Hope all's well at the NM house!

Hey....where did the popcorn go?? Guess I'll settle for a cuppa coffee.....
Old 02-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #114
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Hey Melinda!

Everything is great at the NM household. Just a little busy!

But I'd like to get the next installment up soon - I just hope I can still remember what happened!

Hope you are doing well!! Thanks for the bump!

NM

NicoleMarie

"Better is one day in Your courts than a thousand elsewhere." Psalm 84:10

What I learned from the DIS - Spring Break 2006 (with pics!!)

Are We Turkeys? - Thanksgiving 2006 at WDW

Old 02-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #115
NAB
That first page just got too heavy
Maybe I am the gloved one and have an inside scoop

Just turning the page......
Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #116
kpk89
I know that you know that I kn...well, you get the pic
What is a po-tro-ast?
mumbling and looking at floor

A lil bumpity bump for the sweet NM. Come back soon!
Old 02-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #117
corinnak
100% Tag Free!

I love this report - I'm a TGMmer as well, though the quiet type on the boards there for the most part - and while I feel like we are getting there in the Theme Park Ninja department, I always wonder how it would go if we went at an actual busy time. We may find out later this year.....

Looking forward to the rest!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:23 AM   #118
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Thanks everybody!!

Things have been a little busy around here...not much time to write.

But I have finished the rest of our Thanksgiving Day in the World and I'm posting it this morning. Thanks for reading and posting your comments. They are such an encouragement, and fun, too!!

Corinnak - TGM is the way to go!! I was nervous about a busy time like Thanksgiving, too. But as you'll see, it was fine. And even fun!!

KPK, NAB, Disfan and sweet Melinda - Thanks for the bumps!

jaycns and serendipity - Thanks for your comments. Yeah, the button was a little bit of a bummer. Especially when you know what the other options are. But the kids were happy and thought it was cool. And that's what a Disney trip is all about, isn't it? OK. You're right. We enjoy it as much as the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLa
My girl NM sent a very cool package to the LaLas first.
Very cool, huh? I really didn't know if you'd like the lime green fanny packs and "WE DIG ZZUB" shirts. But I'm glad to know they were a hit.

You know I love ya, girl. Thanks for reading and posting.

bunnysmum - GO AKL!!!! You'll love it! We thought it was a great resort. And you can get some good deals there. Come on....do it!!!

Grammy - You are such a nut. You and Grampy both. Thanks for reading, woman!!

Ashclan - Maybe you'll run into a Dream Teamer this next time. But consider yourself prepared for a certificate or a button. But a button at Disney is better than a day at home!!

Tink - Girl, we have decided that there aren't any family members hitching on to our Disney trips. Too much potential for aggravation. You gotta roll like the NM's, or you ain't coming!!

Horsegirl - Thanks for popping in to read my report, girl! I appreciate your kind words!

mlill - Thanks for reading!! If y'all haven't checked out her report, do so now. Talk about your dream trip...they certainly had it. And have lots of cool pics and videos to prove it!!

Jamal - Hey girl!! Mr. NM LOVES the coasters. But we have to alternate between Littlest NM duty. He gets to ride EE later. Thanks for reading!

Y'all have a great day!! Thanks again for your kind words!!

NM

NicoleMarie

Old 02-13-2007, 07:53 AM   #119
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Chapter 8 - Thanksgiving Day at AK

OK, I know the pics are big. But just move the whole page slightly to the right and you'll get them all in. Sorry!

When I left off, the NM girls had just accomplished the first mission of the day. The trek to Expedition Everest. We're all buckled in and ready for the ride.

Carry on.

The Everest train pulled out of the station with my daughter and I grinning from ear to ear. We’re ready for some Yeti. There is no part of this ride that has ever scared my girl. She loves every minute of it.

However, in the seat behind us was another scenario. A preteen-ish boy was freaking out. And his Dad was trying to console him by pointing to my daughter and saying “See that little girl? She isn’t scared. If she’s not, you shouldn’t be either.” I’m not sure if he expected this compare-your-son-to-a-little-girl tactic to be effective, but it wasn’t. I felt sorry for the poor guy.

But my daughter, always the helpful child, turns around to the boy and throws her fist in the air as she screams “THIS RIDE ROCKS!”

Excuse me? Are you Joan Jett?

The effectiveness of my daughter’s tactic is also in question, but now the scared kid was on his own. We were making our way up the mountain and we had to take in the sights. The ascent up Everest provides one of my favorite photo ops in the entire World.

If you’ve never ridden Everest – but you plan to someday – you may want to skip this next part.

But for those of you who love it – is this not the BEST?

The ride stops. You hear the cold wind blowing. You hear the roar of the Yeti. You hear the click of the tracks. And you know what’s about to happen. Suddenly, the brakes release and the train heaves backward with its passengers screaming from both fear and delight.

The rest of the ride is an exhilarating descent down the mountain. It’s fast and it’s smooth. And even though I’ve ridden it over a dozen times, I still duck in surprise when the Yeti’s claws come at my face. No doubt about it – this ride was worth every minute of the planning and scheming it took to get here.

We pulled into the station on our adrenaline high and turned around to see if the fella behind us had made it. He now agreed with my daughter that “That ride DID rock!” We wished them a great day and moved on to the picture screens.

As usual, my daughter looked cute and I looked ridiculous. One of these days, I’m gonna remember where it is in the ride that they take your picture. And I’m gonna remember to smile for the camera and not look like a freakin’ idiot. And at that point, I’m gonna buy the photo. Because Expedition Everest is OUR ride. The one my daughter and I plan for and talk about for weeks before we take our Disney vacation. It’s a souvenir worth purchasing. But not this time.

So we left the dump shop and WOW!!! Shoulder to shoulder crowds. Where did all of these people come from? Didn’t TGM say this was the best park for this day? This might not be good. I saw the day go down hill faster than we just descended Everest.

But as I studied the crowds, I realized something. These folks were rookies. You’ve seen what I’m talking about. A little group standing around trying to decide what to do. Looking at the Stand-by line and noting aloud that it’s an hour and a half wait. Then looking at the FP machines and noting that the return time is now 1:55. And continuing to stand around and do nothing.

There were lots of these little rookie groups outside Everest that day.

And a rookie won’t get in the way of the NM’s no matter how many there are of them.

So the rest of our day at Animal Kingdom worked out just like our trek to Everest. As long as we had a plan, we were ahead of the crowds. Oh, they were there alright. But they didn’t affect our day. We maximized our fastpasses and we were able to do everything we wanted to do. Multiple times, even.

We’d go back over the Thanksgiving holiday in a heartbeat.

It was now about 2:00 and our breakfast feast was wearing off. And I don’t know about you, but if I’m anything short of miserably full, the smell of BBQ will make me ferociously hungry. So when we passed by Flametree BBQ on our way out of Dinoland, I knew that was where we had to stop.

I took the kids all the way down the path to the tables by the water, and we waited on DH to bring our lunch. I was really surprised by the serenity of this group of tables. We relaxed and enjoyed a nice lunch, and recapped what a great morning we had enjoyed at Animal Kingdom. We even got a little “float by” from Mickey and the gang.

Having done everything we came to do that day, we decided to head back to the AKL for some relaxation before our Thanksgiving Dinner at Jiko. We cleared off our table, and made our way back to the main drag to exit the park.

All of a sudden, we heard my daughter’s name screamed out like only little girls can do. We turned to see a girl, from my daughter’s class at school, running toward us with her little sister who is in my son’s class. They were there with their mother and a family friend. Screams and hugs were exchanged as we discussed how cool it was to see someone you know in a place far from home and crowded with strangers. We stood and visited for a few minutes. A few minutes that changed my course of thought for the next several hours.

You see, at Thanksgiving last year, everything in their life was much like everything in my life is now. A mom and dad in love. Happily raising their two young children. Looking forward to the rest of their lives together. I’m sure they sat around their Thanksgiving table and thanked God for their many rich blessings.

Little did they know, that the dad would get sick a few days after Christmas that year and never come home from the hospital. They buried him last January. So this was the first Thanksgiving without him.

The mom shared that she just couldn’t be at home this Thanksgiving. She needed to be away to be distracted from the grief. I hope if you believe in prayer, you’ll send some up for her right now. She has just passed the first anniversary of her husband’s death. We stood and talked a few more minutes, and steered the conversation to everyday chit chat.

After we left them and headed out of the Animal Kingdom, I felt somber. How could I be so happy and joyful when she was going through such sorrow? Why did God choose to take her husband? What if her sweet daughters don’t remember what a strong and Godly dad they had? These were certainly questions I couldn’t answer. All I could do was trust in the One who ordained it all.

My melancholy feeling was the perfect segue into what DH and I had planned for the afternoon. We didn’t want the day to go by without the opportunity to open our Bible and have a little time giving thanks as a family. Not just in the form of a prayer spoken before our meal, but a time to really share with one another. And to remember all the things – big and small – that we had to be really, really thankful for.

The list was long that afternoon, and by the time we were finished, my mood had lifted and joy had been ministered to my heart. The kids needed some down time and so did I. So we all took a nap while DH explored the AKL and found some cool things for us to do when we woke up.

Evidently, the commando tactics of the morning and early afternoon had taken their toll on the three of us, because we slept for a couple of hours. By the time we woke up, we were all three refreshed and full of energy.

The kids bounded out of their bunks and DH came in to report on some things he had found for us to do that night.

There was some horsing around with the new pirate sword, and general mayhem in the room before we made our way down to the lobby to enjoy the atmosphere before dinner.

DH had gotten chatty with a CM and found out about a little game time that he thought the kids would enjoy. So we had fun doing that and then just hung around the lobby a bit.

I was really glad for the opportunity to take in the beauty of the Animal Kingdom Lodge. It was cozy and festive that Thanksgiving night. After taking in the sights and taking plenty of pics, we made our way to Jiko to check in for our Thanksgiving meal.

We were seated very quickly and had a delicious Thanksgiving dinner. Jiko did not disappoint.

The kids were in great moods and so were DH and I. It had been a great day. One we were afraid we might regret spending at Disney. But just as we had hoped, the planning had served us well and we spent the meal talking about our day, laughing and enjoying the blessing of family.

After dinner, we made our way back to the room so we could get a good night’s sleep for Black Friday in the Magic Kingdom. Our beds had been turned down, and we were ready to snuggle in.

Hugs, prayers and tuck-ins followed, and we turned out the lights on our first Thanksgiving away from home. I have a feeling it won’t be our last.

Next Chapter

NicoleMarie

Last edited by nicolemarie; 05-24-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:19 AM   #120
Frickles
Missed the wooo hoooty for a phone call
I say keep the squirrel and dress him up and use him as an accessory

ok I totally missed your last installment (you know why :-) ) but what a treat for me to get to read two today!!!!!

Thank you for the recap and the pictures of EE! I only got to ride it one time and that certainly helped bring back a lot of good memories! I just loved this chapter because I truly enjoy all the pictures!!! I do love your new camera NM! You picked a good one! I'm impressed with your talent to snap those awesome shots and hold on to your camera on EE!

Thank you for taking me back to AK this morning!!!!

Now when I read this about your daughter's friend my heart broke & it reminded me to be thankful for my family.
Quote:
Little did they know, that the dad would get sick a few days after Christmas that year and never come home from the hospital. They buried him last January. So this was the first Thanksgiving without him.

The mom shared that she just couldn’t be at home this Thanksgiving. She needed to be away to be distracted from the grief. I hope if you believe in prayer, you’ll send some up for her right now
Bless them. I sent one up...

Quote:
My melancholy feeling was the perfect segue into what DH and I had planned for the afternoon. We didn’t want the day to go by without the opportunity to open our Bible and have a little time giving thanks as a family. Not just in the form of a prayer spoken before our meal, but a time to really share with one another. And to remember all the things – big and small – that we had to be really, really thankful for.
How neat is this! That is awesome NM...truly. You know we were so busy with the cooking, the traveling, the football that moments like this passed us by. What a truly great way to spend the holiday. There is no better time than good sweet family time, and it sounds like you all got a lot of it. I am so glad your holiday there went well!!!!!

My DH has the same shirt!!! But, did he wear that to the park that morning or was that just the dinner duds?

Thanks for letting me spend Thanksgiving with y'all!!! This was the sweetest chapter girl. I'm so glad I didn't spoil this trip for you!!!

Last edited by Frickles; 02-13-2007 at 09:42 AM. Reason: I didn't get squat from the Dream Team, but at least you have some buttons!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: