Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #16
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the responses!!

LaLa - My girl, I'm glad you were first! Hope you and the family are feeling much better. I'm still looking forward to more of your report.
And I have a feeling if our men got together it would either be hilariously funny or really embarrassing. Luscious. That's a good one.

Disfan3 - "Sista from another mista"? I don't know what scares me worse. That you said that at all, or that your six year old taught it to you.

Hey girl, glad you came on board. It's good having you around.

Backstage Gal - You know I'm jealous of all the inside info you possess, right? Good to see ya!

saschab - Welcome! Hope you'll stay around.

jakenjess, Ashclan, kpk89, Horsegirl, NAB, pumba, Kaysmommie - Thanks for reading!! Yeah, I get emotional when I think of my babies. But I promise not to sap out in every installment.

ZZUB - You gave both me and my husband a great laugh on the description of your daughter's future mate. You need to keep that one for your toast at her rehearsal dinner.

And you've pegged Mr. NM perfectly. No products in the car that have an odor. Period. Or an immediate over-reaction involving ridiculous choking noises and all windows being rolled down will occur.

Great memory on the beach trip, by the way. I deal with that at the beginning of my next installment.

Frickles!!! - Has Mr. Frick been assimilated yet? Any shrewd businessman can see the value of an AP! Especially when you live in Georgia!!
Do we need to meet in Atlanta to discuss the perks over dinner? Or maybe the guys can go for a round of golf while we hit the shops. Sounds like a win-win to me!

GO DAWGS!!!

Thanks for reading everyone - the next installment is posting this morning. I know you've been lurking around these boards waiting on it, so I shall not disappoint...

NM

NicoleMarie

"Better is one day in Your courts than a thousand elsewhere." Psalm 84:10

What I learned from the DIS - Spring Break 2006 (with pics!!)

Are We Turkeys? - Thanksgiving 2006 at WDW

Old 12-04-2006, 08:57 AM   #17
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Chapter Two - Frickles ALMOST Thwarts My Plan!

So in July the proclamation is made that our next family vacation will be to Disney World. I immediately begin to scan the calendar for a good time to go.

And there’s one little problem. Every September we take a beach trip with my parents. We stay a full week, which means pulling the kids out of five days of school. Duh. Sometimes my husband goes the full week, sometimes he can’t. But the kids and I go from Saturday to Saturday and it’s good times with my parents.

Except this year we really want to use those days out of school for a trip to Disney. So some discussion is given to that, but ultimately we decide that this beach trip is special to all of us, so we’ll start the Disney vacations after September.

So I scan the calendar again. I remember that back last year, before my true potential as a Disney Nerd had been realized, a friend called to report that she had received an email from Disney. Yep, that’s right. Back then, I actually had friends that knew more about Disney than me.

I can assure you that’s no longer the case.

Anyway, the email was advertising cheap rates at the Values during the month of December, and my friend suggested our families take a trip together.

We’d never been during the Christmas season, and I’d always wanted to go then.

So we were in. Only we couldn’t work our schedules out, and the NM’s ended up going the Sunday after Thanksgiving, and my friend’s family later in December.

We had a great trip. But it was short. Sunday and Monday at the Magic Kingdom.

It was like eating just one Oreo. Or having just 20 minutes to nap on Sunday afternoon. Or hearing the opening score of Wishes as you board the monorail.

It just wasn’t enough of the World at Christmas.

So that settles it in my mind. I’m really pullin’ hard for a Thanksgiving trip. No time off school for the kids, and all of the decorations and special happenings will be going on at the World.

Plus, I won’t have to host the NM Thanksgiving Dinner. Which I didn’t mind last year, but here is the state of affairs in our home.

A little remodel. Taking much longer than it was supposed to. Surprise.

So I propose the idea of a trip at Thanksgiving. And DH gives me the look. The one that is a combination of fear and disbelief. The one usually reserved for when I ask him to ride up to the antique market in Atlanta instead of playing golf. Or drive around town on Sunday afternoon going to real estate Open Houses instead of watching football.

Yeah, that look. It ain’t pretty for NM. This is gonna be a tough sell.

You see, things are always crazy at my husband’s office this time of year. He says at best, he could leave around 5:00 on Wednesday. Which means we’d be bumper to bumper with all the other holiday travelers on I-75. Then there are the crowds at the parks. Thanksgiving weekend is up in the top five of crowded times to visit the World.

So he thinks relaxing in front of a ball game and eating pumpkin pie all weekend while we enjoy Thanksgiving at home sounds much better than a trip to Disney.

Of course, he’d be the only one who actually relaxes on Thanksgiving at home, but that’s beside the point.

Did I mention that Thanksgiving is one of the most crowded times of the year to visit the World?

I admit, that might scare my man a little, but it doesn’t scare me. Bring it, I say. Bring on those crowds. I’ve got a subscription to Tour Guide Mike and I ain’t afraid to use it.

But I tell my DH we’ll do whatever he wants. If he doesn’t want to go at Thanksgiving, that’s fine. He’s the breadwinner and I respect his need for a relaxing holiday weekend. No pressure. But just think about it. Don’t close the door yet.

He pretty much closes the door. Says he is not down with it.

And being the submissive wife I am, I go ahead and call Disney to see what resort has the best AP rate for the Thanksgiving weekend.

It’s AKL by a landslide, so I book it.

Just in case.

Now before you go thinking that I’m some manipulative, spoiled brat wife – pressuring my man into a trip he doesn’t want to take – let me set the record straight.

I know this man like the back of my hand. And I know he loves Disney World. And I also know that by the time Thanksgiving rolls around, he’ll be more ready for the trip than I will.

Call it woman’s intuition.

Or wishful thinking.

Either way, I’m securing some ADR’s and making a plan. I ain’t gonna be stuck in the cold when the man comes around a week before the trip. Plus, I’m a Disser. And isn’t the planning ALMOST as fun as the trip?

So I made up my itinerary in Excel, made lots of ADR’s, and started scouring the boards for stories on how the crowds are at Thanksgiving.

But because opinions on the DIS are as helpful as they are useless, I got the feeling that I’d have to see it for myself to make a call.

So through the month of October, conversations go like this.

DH: Baby, I know you really want to go to Disney at Thanksgiving. But I just don’t see it happening. Things are crazy at the office. I’m really gonna need that time to decompress.

Me: I totally understand. If you are 100% sure you aren’t gonna change your mind, I’ll cancel the reservations. But if I cancel them, they’re probably gone. Thanksgiving’s a busy time, you know.

DH: How long do we have before we’re penalized for cancelling?

Me: Five days out.

DH: Alright. Leave them for now. We’ll decide later.

Then that night when it was time for him to get home from the office, me and the kids would be sitting around the TV watching our DVD from the Spring Break Trip. And as we’d hear the garage door open, we’d make sure we forced some fake tears out for effect.

Again she says she’s not manipulative.

Things are going well until my buddy Frickles throws in her two cents after what she calls a “crowded” September trip. She says the crowds were horrible and she can’t even imagine what Thanksgiving would be like. My DH catches wind of her concern and agrees. Thanksgiving’s out. Go ahead and cancel the reservation.

I call his bluff.

NM: Okay, I’ll cancel it. Hand me the phone. But remember, if you change your mind, we’ll probably be out of luck. Thanksgiving’s a really busy season, you know.

DH: How long do we have to decide?

NM: Five days out.

DH: Alright. Leave it for now.

These kinds of interactions went on for the whole month. And to be honest, I can’t even remember the actual conversation that sealed the deal. But eventually, my DH realized he could get pretty excited about a Thanksgiving trip to the World. And he said “Let’s do it!”

He then immediately started strategizing how we could leave a day earlier.

And I ran to the closest mirror practiced how I could tell the children, “We’re going to Disney World!”

See? I told you he’d come around.

Next Up: A New Departure Strategy Chapter 3

NicoleMarie

Last edited by nicolemarie; 05-23-2007 at 03:53 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #18
BamaGirl
Mouseketeer

I love your trip report! I can't wait to read more and find out what your experiences were with the crowds. We are planning a Thanksgiving 2007 trip to the World. I am already beginning to plan for it!

WDW Commando Member #123

Old 12-04-2006, 10:55 AM   #19
Frickles
Missed the wooo hoooty for a phone call
I say keep the squirrel and dress him up and use him as an accessory

NM!!!!! You told me he didn't read it! I freaked out that day! (NM's DH (supposedly) wrote a comment to me thanking me for opening his eyes to the fact it would be so crowded and I had helped him make the decision not to go) I was just trying to give you a bright side in case he said you guys weren't going, but I didn't realize I almost canned the whole trip for ya!

You must have told them that I had not mastered my Tour Guide Mike skills yet. Because it is obvious to me that I am not a great TGM student.

I say yes to shopping, golfing for the guys and dinner to discuss the perks of an AP!!!

I'm still shocked I almost spoiled it. You just don't know how bad I felt that day!!!!

Last edited by Frickles; 12-04-2006 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Is he a lurker? I thought you said you were the only dis Dork!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #20
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Calm down, sweet Frick!

I was totally kidding about all that! It really happened just like I said back then. I told him about the joke I pulled on you and then he said "maybe she's right". You didn't ruin a thing.

He isn't a lurker. He only reads things when I pull them up and call him to the computer. I am definitely the only DisDork in my family.

NicoleMarie

Old 12-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #21
LaLa
Hangs with the Mensas
Uses her boss as a coat rack while she dances
Dreams of running with the big dogs

You left out a conjunction. But like ZZUB, I'm not telling you where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemarie
And being the submissive wife I am, I go ahead and call Disney to see what resort has the best AP rate for the Thanksgiving weekend.

Its AKL by a landslide, so I book it.

Just in case.

Now before you go thinking that Im some manipulative, spoiled brat wife pressuring my man into a trip he doesnt want to take let me set the record straight.

I know this man like the back of my hand. And I know he loves Disney World. And I also know that by the time Thanksgiving rolls around, hell be more ready for the trip than I will.

Call it womans intuition.
Okay, it's on now. You've given me an idea. Because I know my husband like the back of my hand too. And I just know he's gonna want to stay at the Grand Floridian for two weeks next October. I'm off to get Disney on the phone. I'll tell him it's all your fault if it turns out he's not down with it.

Quote:
So I made up my itinerary in Excel
But was it color coded?

NM, stop messin' with poor Frickles.

I liked your update, my Girl. And I'm so glad Frickles didn't spoil your plans like we all thought she did. That Frickles. What a spoil sport.

KIDDING.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the rest of the story, NM.

Bring it on, Girl. I'm down wid it.

Last edited by LaLa; 12-04-2006 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Conjunction Junction, what's that function?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #22
HLDisney
DIS Veteran

Hey, we were at Disney for Thanksgiving (11/23 - 11/29)

And we went to AKL for Thanksgiving dinner at Boma. If you were there that night and saw a 4yo little Chinese girl throwing a tantrum in Boma, it wasn't us

Great trip report so far.

HLDisney (back 5 days and already trying to figure out when we can next go back....)
Old 12-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #23
Blaynexox
DIS Veteran

i lovvvvveee your trip report! .. cant wait for more .. your a hoot!

Me and DFiance -
First Trip to Disney Feb. 13th - 23rd 2007!

Me and DFiance
2 Week Disneymoon Oct. 4 - 18th 2011!!
Old 12-04-2006, 02:45 PM   #24
lexmelinda
Has a Seussical googling DD
I'll remember from now on

Quote:
Now before you go thinking that Im some manipulative, spoiled brat wife pressuring my man into a trip he doesnt want to take let me set the record straight.
Is there something wrong with that? I don't think there's anything wrong with that....
Quote:
So I made up my itinerary in Excel
Not Excel.....Word....Word for the itinerary!
Quote:
But because opinions on the DIS are as helpful as they are useless
Well said!
Quote:
But eventually, my DH realized he could get pretty excited about a Thanksgiving trip to the World. And he said Lets do it!
See.....momma knows best! Way to go, NM! I started on DH just this morning on the September '07 trip...I've got a long way to go with him. But alas, my ADRs are already in the Word table awaiting the 180 day mark.
Great installment! Keep it coming....

Last edited by lexmelinda; 12-04-2006 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Did I mention I teared up at the last teacher conference, too?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #25
ZZUB
Roll Tide, Mean It

Location: If I'm not at Monk's, check the Hawk & Dove, or else I'm playing tetherball

Your syntax is askew.

So what you're saying is you've made my favorite screename feel bad about something she didn't do. What's next? Posting pictures of chubby bald women and claiming it's her?

The real question here is at what point did you know you had tipped the scales with him? Not, when did he say, "let's do it," but when did you know he was going to say that? Not that my wife has ever tried to manipulate me, I'm just wondering how far in advance of when I say yes to something does she know that's going to be the answer.

Also, I understand you stayed at AKL. Can you give me an opinion about staying at Coronado Springs? We're not planning on staying there.

"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'they are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.'" Jeremiah 29:11

Old 12-04-2006, 04:04 PM   #26
Frickles
Missed the wooo hoooty for a phone call
I say keep the squirrel and dress him up and use him as an accessory

Quote:
Calm down, sweet Frick!

I was totally kidding about all that! It really happened just like I said back then. I told him about the joke I pulled on you and then he said "maybe she's right". You didn't ruin a thing.

He isn't a lurker. He only reads things when I pull them up and call him to the computer. I am definitely the only DisDork in my family.

So you really were the poster that did that!!!! I knew someone had pulled a good one on me but I didn't 100% know it was you! Good one NM! I really did it so that I could earn the spotlight in your TR and tack that on to my 15 minutes of fame.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:21 PM   #27
jamal
Nutwing #4
You and your peeps are
B-E-A-utiful!

Plus, I wont have to host the NM Thanksgiving Dinner. Which I didnt mind last year, but here is the state of affairs in our home.

A little remodel. Taking much longer than it was supposed to. Surprise.

My dear NM!!! I have just laughed up some Reese's bite-sized treats over these first two chapters!

Quote:
Either way, Im securing some ADRs and making a plan. I aint gonna be stuck in the cold when the man comes around a week before the trip. Plus, Im a Disser. And isnt the planning ALMOST as fun as the trip
Sooo SMART, my girl. I almost did this myself a couple of weeks ago.

Quote:
Me: Five days out.

DH: Alright. Leave them for now. Well decide later.

Then that night when it was time for him to get home from the office, me and the kids would be sitting around the TV watching our DVD from the Spring Break Trip. And as wed hear the garage door open, wed make sure we forced some fake tears out for effect.

Again she says shes not manipulative.
BORG!! I also find it helpful to sing Wishes in the shower, DVR the Travel Channel Disney specials, and put the photo albums on the coffee table. You know what got him this time, though? The screensaver. Yep. All our Dis pics are my screensaver.

You are baby. It seems like yesterday I was gettin' to know ya on your first TR. Your Pump Fake report this summer contained one of my all-time fave Dis-pics: you crying on the monorail. I thought if you didn't go this Thanksgiving I might have to come on down and drive you myself.

Now playing:
The Fixer, The CookMaster, The Teacher, and The President: a 2007 sequel of sorts!!

3/07 BC CL,9/07 BC CL , Jan. 2008 AKL, June 2008 Windsor Hills(!), Sept. '08 Poly, Thanksgiving '08 CR CL!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #28
Grammyof2
Best Woo Hootier that ever woo hootied
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Location: Heading to midlife wearing my Levi's and flip flops

OK - See the ticker??

I am not yet or will I be caught up till say 2007. I want to read and enjoy and not SKIM. So you are on my reading list for a cold day in January Early January. But subscribed means I won't forget. And by then I will be able to read, say 3 chapters
Old 12-09-2006, 09:48 AM   #29
kpk89
I know that you know that I kn...well, you get the pic
What is a po-tro-ast?
mumbling and looking at floor

NM, you are the un-manipulator's manipulator! Way to go, and I bow to your mad skills. Can you help a mama out with a DH reluctant to go again this December? (early -- not Christmas week). Remind him we'll have AP's, we can borrow the points, and we have a $400 Southwest credit!!! 'Kay? Thanks so much.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:03 PM   #30
monymony3471
Finally got a chance to come back and crack this thing
Where did you find those set of ears?
My mamma Jamma is gonna hurt!

Lexy said this was a must read so I am here.

Lexy was right.

Certain people have a knack for useful tips.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: