Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

Help Deciding resort

Ok, so I need some help from the experts. DH and I are trying to decide where to stay next year. We have stayed at Pop twice and loved it, CBR was nice but a little farther spread out than we like and CSR which we really didn't care for. So for next year we are thinking of staying Deluxe or in one of the cabins. We will be going sometime around Dec 15th for a week (maybe more). We will have my DD who will be 5 at the time and a 10 month old. Also, a couple of these days, I will have both kids by myself in the AM as dh will be golfing. After all, he is paying for this! I'm really leaning towards the cabins, but dh is concerned they may be "too far away" from things and not as conveinant.

Any advice?
adisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisneymama
Ok, so I need some help from the experts. DH and I are trying to decide where to stay next year. We have stayed at Pop twice and loved it, CBR was nice but a little farther spread out than we like and CSR which we really didn't care for. So for next year we are thinking of staying Deluxe or in one of the cabins. We will be going sometime around Dec 15th for a week (maybe more). We will have my DD who will be 5 at the time and a 10 month old. Also, a couple of these days, I will have both kids by myself in the AM as dh will be golfing. After all, he is paying for this! I'm really leaning towards the cabins, but dh is concerned they may be "too far away" from things and not as conveinant.

Any advice?
The cabins are nice but when we took our kids there (many many years ago) they weren't all that thrilled. You pretty much have to take a bus to get to other places within the resort and there are no themed pools.
I think I would either stay on the monorail route (poly) then you can jump on that to go to the MK when it's just you with the kids. BW or BC would be nice too. They have great pools and you can walk to Epcot or take a short boat ride to MGM. We love that location.
Good luck with your decision!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

Thanks, this is so tough. I'm not "in love" with the Poly but dh likes it. I think I would rather stay at CR or GF. But dh is also thinking Wilderness Lodge. I'm just concerned with room sizes since we have 2 kids to deal with as well as the gear needed for baby! ACK! LOL
Old 11-29-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
vanillarum
DIS Veteran

How 'bout a family suite at the All Star ?
vanillarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

We looked into that as well. The biggest problem there is it is so far away and on the days I have the kids by myself that would mean 2 kids and a stroller to get on the bus.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
beccasmom
DIS Veteran

CR has very large rooms and is on the monorail. You can't beat the convenience, especially with little ones! One would bet you'll be at the MK a lot! If you're really concerned about space, the DVC at the WL would be a boon for you. It's not quite as convenient as the CR or GF, but it is close to the MK. Links to pics and info attached -

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/g_wlv.htm

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/faq_wlv.htm

beccasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
goofie4goofy
My Baby Cosmo

My Dh and I just stayed at the CR in Sept in a new updated room MK view and we found the rooms to be very small. Not only are they small but they lack storage space. The bathroom has NO counter space at all due to those horrible sinks and the closets are equivelent to what you would find on a cruise ship - no exaggeration. The decor is pretty but there is lots of wasted space. We were only 2 adults, we packed carry ons only and we had NO room for our stuff. Our shoes were on the floor in the room and we had to fold lots of our stuff because there was not enough room to hang everything...even at that the dwawer space is very limited. It is not like the other resorts whre you have a large closet AND drawer space. The drawers are in the small closet so they are actually half drawers...UGH! We found the rooms to be much smaller than than the other monorail resorts. With 2 small children you would have stuff all over the room. Also we were there in Spet and due to the open style of the hotel lobby in which the monorail runs, we found it to be very hot outside our door AND very noisy due to Chef Mickey's downstairs. It's not any more or less convenient than the other monorail resorts, so don;t let that sway you.

The Poly actually has the largest rooms and is very convenient as you have the monorail and you can walk to the TCC. I know it is not your favorite, but it will offer you the most space.

The GF also has large rooms (just a tad smaller than the Poly) and since you are going in Dec, it is the most beautifully decorated resort during the holidays. It is also convenient transportation wise becasue the first stop is the MK and to get back to the resort you can take the boat launch in which the GF is the first stop.

We have stayed in all 3 and find the Poly and GF equal for different reasons, but the GF is our favorite.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:48 PM   #8
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

Goofie - Thank you so much! That is the kind of info I needed. What area of GF do you recommend?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:54 PM   #9
ecpool
Mouseketeer

I think you would love the Wilderness Lodge. It is a beautiful resort and the the transportation is good. We have stayed there a few times and will be there again this Dec. Good luck with your choice!
'73 Poly, '75 Poly, '77 Poly, '79 offsite in Kissimee somewhere, '81 Poly, '90. '91, '92 Dixie Landings '93 offsite, '95 Dixie landings, '96 WL, '97WL, '98 CS, '00 WL, '01, '02 hardrock, '03 AKL,DEC '04 Royle Pacific, dolphin, Christmas '06 pofq/wl/gaylord palms, Feb.'08 Hardrock, POP Century
ecpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #10
goofie4goofy
My Baby Cosmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisneymama
Goofie - Thank you so much! That is the kind of info I needed. What area of GF do you recommend?

We have only stayed in the main building. In 10 days (but who's counting ) we are staying in lagoon view....first time non-concierge for us. We always walk the grounds of the GF and it is just so beautiful, espically this time of year. Even the grounds are decorated with tons of pointsettias! From what I have read here, there is no "bad" location and there are no "parking lot views". People have posted that garden/pool view rooms are just as beautiful as MK or lagoon views. I will let you know when we get back.

I was a bit surprised after staying at the CR MK view because it is mostly a view of the parking lot and the busy highway. You don't have that at the GF...all the views are beautiful.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:21 PM   #11
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

Well we decided! We are booked 12/15-22 at WL! Thanks for the advice all! It really helped!
Old 12-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
sharlon
2008 DisCup Nascar Champ
I went from saying words to BLAH, BLAH, BLAH
My kids respectfully debate the passage of gas

Love WL, great choice. I just saw this thread and was going to add my 2 cents, but you beat me to the punch. Have a great time! WL is our favorite (although we've only stayed there one night), and you will love it.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

Thanks. We loved the look of it when we ate at WCC in September. My only concern was that we will need the pack n play and we will have a stroller, plus all the stuff the then 5 yo brings along. I know some of the rooms at the other deluxes are bigger, but when it came down to what we really were looking for and the value this seemed to be the best. Now is it 2007 yet? Well guess I shouldn't rush things, I need to have this baby first!
Old 12-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

Have you thought about a 1 bedroom at the DVC part of WL or BC or OKW? This gives you lots of room to spread out and a washer and dryer and full kitchen... check out the DVC board , you can rent points..

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #15
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

We didn't look into those as we are not wanting to have to rent a vehicle. With Dh being gone 2 of the mornings leaving me with 2 kids I wanted conveinance especially to MK. So it was either a monorail resort or WL basically.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: