Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Kevin Stringer
Chat Host
Oddly concerned about an elephant living in his pyjamas
The TF would like to see Kevin’s rendition of 'Great balls of fire'

A Very British Trip report - Oct 2006 - Day 13

DAY 13 – SUNDAY 29th OCTOBER 2006

Whos’ going:

Me, Kev – Husband, father, friend and all round good egg.
Wife, Tam – she hates to be called ‘the wife’ so I left the ‘the’ off. Make sense?
India, nearly 16, eldest daughter.
Georgia, now 13, youngest daughter.
Deb & Matt – good friends
Susan – another good friend, joining us for part 2 of the holiday.

Awake at 7.45am. The aim is to leave at 8.45am to go to the Animal Kingdom so Susan can ride Expedition Everest. Unfortunately Deb has had a rough night and is feeling a little tired so she and Matt are going to have a relaxing morning.

The rest of us get the bus to the Animal Kingdom and are entering around 9.30am. Over to Expedition Everest where we get Fast Passes for 11.30am. As we walk past the monkey temple the monkeys are having a good time swinging on the ropes and generally entertaining the gathered crowd.

We go to Dinosaur next and are on in less than 5 minutes. It’s India and Georgia’s first ever time, although Georgia doesn’t actually see much as she keeps her eyes closed the whole time. This isn’t going on her list of favourite attractions.

After this we take the train to Rafiki’s Planet watch. Susan has never done this before and we go into the rainforest sound booths before Georgia meets Pochahontas and has her photo taken. Daddy lurks at the back enviously.

It could have been me she’s cuddling up to!

They are doing a routine check-up on a meerkat in the veterinary area and it is fascinating to watch the team of people at work. The poor little meerkat doubles as a pincushion he has so many injections. Susan says he must have pretty good health insurance with all the attention he’s getting.
You could easily spend a couple of hours here seeing all there is to see, but it’s time to use our Fast passes for Expedition Everest. When I say ‘we’ I don’t mean me. I have decided that discretion is the better part of valour and decide to sit this one out. I would love to do it again, but the resultant illness is just not worth it.

I sit in the viewing area at the bottom of the big drop and write up my trip report. India says she is going to wave her red Hooters hat (that’s my girl) as she goes past and I actually manage to spot her as they hurtle by.
Susan comes off the ride and says that she loved it. Constitution of an ox that woman.

It is now time for lunch and we choose the Flame Tree Barbecue. Perhaps it should be called a barbequeue as it takes nearly half an hour to get our food. The best part about this place is that the seating areas are split into many small sections covered in trees and vegetation so it never seems too crowded.
We sit close to the lakeside with a fantastic view across the water to Expedition Everest. The food quality is mixed, we enjoy the BBQ beef sandwich but the ribs are a little dry.

This is a photo of my best friend Mr Beer enjoying the view of Expedition Everest

Mickey and his friends noticed Mr Beer and came by to say hello.

Having enjoyed a few hours in the Animal Kingdom we now catch the bus back to the Boardwalk. Waiting for us on our pillows are invitations to visit ‘Ohana on Wednesday evening to celebrate both Georgia and Susan’s recent birthdays. Georgia is now 13,but wild horses will not make me divulge Susan’s age. A woman’s 60th birthday is her own business. Damn it, it just slipped out. You must admit from looking at her photos that she doesn’t look anywhere near this. She’s a sort of Petronella Pan.

A rest by the quiet pool is called for. There are a few people around, but no children, as they prefer the slides and fun of the main pool. It’s great just to relax and enjoy the perfect Florida sunshine, it’s 77° and clear blue skies today.

Back in the room we met up with Deb and Matt who have been out to the Disney MGM Studios.
Everyone showers and we are off to Epcot to eat at the Bistro de Paris in France at 5.40pm. This is quite a nice restaurant, but we don’t have the best table and it’s always going to suffer in comparison to last nights excellent dining experience at Victoria and Albert’s.

Something that is quite unusual for dining in Epcot is that they don’t rush you at all, in fact we are still enjoying our meal over 2 hours after we first entered the restaurant.
I have the consommé to start, which is actually rather lacking in taste. Me, Tam and Georgia have the lamb as our main course, while India tries the venison. Both are pretty good.

This is lamb something, with something in a bowl and a spot of something on the side.

Probably the best thing about our meal is the crepe suzette Tam and share for dessert. This is prepared at our table by our French waiter, Anthony. What sort of French name is that? Antoine or Maurice or something, but Anthony? This is probably just jealousy on my part as he is a rather good looking young chap and Tam and Ind are fawning over him like love struck schoolgirls, which is probably alright in India’s case, but somewhat embarrassing in Tam’s.

Ze crepe suzette

Anway, he can’t even speak proper English like wot I can, with his ‘Zis is ze dezzert madam’. He do wanna lern to speak proper like we does in Gloucestershire.
Jealousy aside, he is actually a very personable and likeable server. The whole meal is not cheap, setting us back $200 for the 4 of us and this includes taking advantage of Deb and Matt’s Disney Dining Experience card. That’s the trouble with our girls growing up, cheap meals off the children’s menu are rarely an option even though I try to convince Georgia that the burger and fries are excellent here.

After the meal Deb and Matt go back to the room while the rest of us watch Reflections of Earth from Japan. This is a different experience for me and it’s ok, but never going to beat my favourite spot in Norway. One good thing is seeing the globe float out from close up.

Back at the room we join Deb and Matt on the balcony for a nightcap. Matt and Georgia continue teasing each other as they have been doing all evening. When Deb tells Matt to stop it he says ‘Well, she started it!’
Time for bed at 11.00pm.

Kev
Kevin Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Another excellent day
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Someday you will be 60, too, Kevin and I hope to be there to announce it to everyone. BTW, I'm really the same age as Georgia--with 47 years experience.
SusanEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
KayleeUK
Still here.....

Happy belated Birthday Susan
Old 11-20-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Great day Kev, fantastic photos as always. Many many belated Happy Birthday wishes to Susan and Georgia

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:10 AM   #6
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Another great day!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:58 AM   #7
angel659
Have A Magical Day

Hi

Great trip report. Great pics.

Happy belated birthday Susan
Old 11-21-2006, 06:53 AM   #8
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

I see that Georgia has got the same pink hat as me (though it looks a lot cooler on her ) Another great day

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
arieljasmine
Who says these things pass you by.....

Sounds like a good day, Kev. I like the picture of the monkeys.

ArielJasmine
May 2001 DLRP Santa Fe/September 2002 WDW All Star Music/December 2003 DLRP Sequoia Lodge/September 2004 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Pop Century/May 2005 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder/April 2006 WDW Pop Century/ September 2006 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Animal Kingdom Lodge/September 2007 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Hard Rock Hotel/Polynesian/Pop Century
arieljasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
UKANGEL
Champagne Girls Rule!

Love the pic of the beer watching Everest kev!
Another great day

WDW, DLP, and DCL cruising since 1996

UKANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #11
Lisash
Knows all the words to 'It's A Small World'
Doesn't tell friends of her DISboard addiction

Another great day
June 2003 & August 2004 - Off-site Wyndham Orlando (I-Drive)December 2005 - Off-Site Doubletree at Universal. July 2005, December 2006, August 2007, December 2008, August 2009 & December 2010 - Marriott Fairfield LBV - August 2013 on site Disney's Yacht Club - December 2013 Marriott Fairfield LBV

Lisash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 02:22 PM   #12
Fiona R
UK Scrapper!!

Not long now until Susan wishes you a Happy 60th Kevin!!
February 2002 Hard Rock Hotel & WDW Coronado Springs (2 weeks)
August 2003 DLP Davy Crockett Ranch (4 nights)
Christmas 2006 POR/Villa/Dolphin for New Year!
August 2009 Coronado Springs with free DDP
Fiona R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:38 AM   #13
Boss Hogg
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
Tinky Winky isn't it?!
"How do you fancy it?"

Once again some blanks to be filled in. Our ruse works and peace and quiet descend on the room, and RELAX.

We get ready at a leisurely pace and decide to have a wander over to MGM. As with USF we have no burning desire to go on much other than wanting to see Lights Motor Action. We have a nice lunch at Mama Melrose, where we bump into Fantasia Sam who is remarkably sober (it is only noon though!) and meander over to the show.

A very good show I think and well worth seeing. A few pics taken from our seats...

A couple taken from our balcony of Illuminations later that night...

Finally, one of the Yacht and Beach Club across the water. The observant amongst you will see the light on top of a Friendship Boat as it crosses the lake...
Old 11-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #14
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Great action photos, Matt, and very interesting that you were able to focus on both the bike rider and his shadow. Somehow capturing that shadow seems especially impressive. Wasn't that viewing place perfect for framing the fireworks? You and your trusty camera are great collaborators.
SusanEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #15
tony64
Should've been a Cowboy
In charge of driving & collecting coffee and doughnuts for breakfast

Crack'in Pictures Matt I really like the way you managed to capture the action in LMA.
1995 Paris 1997 Masters Inn 1999 Clarion Floridian 2001 HoJo 2003 Econolodge 2005 HoJo 2006 Sheraton Vistana 2007 Club Sevilla 2008 May Sheraton Vistana 2008 Aug Terrace Ridge 2009 Barefoot'n in the Keys 2010 Villa at Cumbrian Lakes2011 Sheraton Vistana & The Magic 2012KeyLargo, Sheriton Vistana & OKW
The Buckland Disney Stampede August 2005 TripThe S.V.R. 2006 Trip T&T Do Thanksgiving 2007 Trip T&T & 2 1st Timers May 2008 Trip T&T Do the Triple Aug 2008 Trip T&T's 2nd Thanksgiving Trip 1975 & 2010 A double trip Bad Mothers & Others Oct 2011 Key West to Old Key West Nov 2012

tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: