Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
NeedaVacation03
My first pair of real sneakers came from Kmart and no one thought anything about it

Never thought I would be at OSU campus this weekend.

I know that title doesnt really seem to fit, but....
My dad has throat cancer and was in terrible pain in his leg on Thursday afternoon. So I took him to the local smaller ER for treatment as his doctor advised. Well, they could not help him and transferred him by ambulance to Ohio State University. This was OSU/Michigan weekend and we never imagined we would be there for that. We had to keep our sense of humor somehow and if you knew our family you would know we avoid OSU on game day like the plague.
But the truth is it was very frightening. My dad had several clots in this leg and they did remove them on Friday. They have to do more searching for additonal clots on Monday,(they do not want them to brake off and go to the brain.) The hospital was kind of a ghost town on Saturday, no doctors around. So any non emergency treatment was postponed until Monday. Now tonight he has additional bleeding so he is back on bedrest until they can do additional testing tomorrow.
I am a very factual kind of person and do not do emotional things very well, so it has been a long few days. I am trying to be there for my dad, but I am more of a doer than a Florence Nightengale, but I am trying.
It is very hard when you have a father whos only normal emotion is stern(lifetime military),when he is afraid. Those are things you never want to experience.
Sorry this is so long and kindof rambles.
Thank you all for sharing your stories, even though I can not always add responses you are all in my thoughts and prayers.
NeedaVacation03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
Cherry

DIS Veteran

What a weekend! I know you must be drained, physically and emotionally. I am so glad they were able to remove the clots, and I know they'll take care of any others problems on Monday. Try to get some rest. You and your father will be in my prayers.
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2006, 05:24 AM   #3
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Sending hugs. Dealing with blood clots can be very scary. Please come here and talk about it.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:58 AM   #4
Mackey Mouse
Me read the Navigator? I don't think so

tsk, tsk said in my best Bahsten accent

Tommy made Flubber

DISboards Moderator

Hugs to you.. I can only imagine what you went through this weekend. When you said he was so brave and that he was frightened, it just broke my heart..

Please know we are here for you and I do hope that he is doing better today after his weekend.. Take care of yourself too, we do the best we can as the caretakers and getting things done is good too...

I also saw that you posted his first treatment was 11/9 and now the bloodclots...I am worried as I know this can be a side effect of chemotherapy...so now I will be a watchdog and asking him all the time how he feels.......he is so good and never complains so it is hard to know when he is not feeling well....Hugs to your Dad....

Co-Moderator Restaurant Boards
Moderator, Coping and Compassion Board

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
Mackey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: