Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
disykat
DIS Veteran

hotels out of San Francisco near BART?

We are passing through the bay area this summer on vacation. We plan on just spending one day in San Francisco. I was thinking it might be economical to stay somewhere on the outskirts near a BART station in a basic "motor inn" type hotel. Any ideas?
disykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
honeymom
I just tried to connect the dots
I keep reading these posts so I might as well get in on the fun, too

I can't answer your question except to recommend that you look at www.tripadvisor.com and look up san francisco. There are actually so many hotels in SF proper that you might be able to find a good rate right in the city.

I actually got a deal of $116/nite at the Hilton SF later this week. There were definitely less expensive motor inn type places available too, but they need to be booked more in advance than I was making plans. Check out some of the motor inns in the Lombard Street area.
1972 1st WDW Visit (Offsite Quality Inn), 1977 1st DL Visit (LAX Marriott), 1985 (Offsite Friend's Apartment), 1988-1993 Once yearly DL while living in SoCal, Feb. 1997 - WDW (offsite Radisson Resort Parkway), June 2001 - WDW (Port Orleans French Quarter), August 2002 - DL (Disneyland Hotel), March 2004 - WDW (Wilderness Lodge), Jan. 2007 - DL (Grand Californian)May 2008 - DL (Anaheim Fairfield Inn), Feb 2012 WDW (Beach Club)
honeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2006, 01:20 AM   #3
disykat
DIS Veteran

Thanks. I really wanted to try to avoid having to drive and park downtown and thought the outskirts, near a freeway and a bart stop would be a solution. We're only planning on spending one long day (two nights) and won't be needing a car that day if we can take the transit.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:37 AM   #4
4girlsmom
Mouseketeer

Hi! East Bay resident and former BART commuter here. I guess it depends where you're headed after SF. If you're coming down Hwy. 5, for convenience sake you could stay near the Dublin/Pleasanton station which is by 580, only a short hop from 5. I'm not sure how long the ride into SF is from there. I've stayed at the Embassy Suites by the Pleasant Hill station. The hotel is just a crosswalk away from BART - very convenient. It's probably about a 45 min. ride into SF from PH. Walnut Creek is one stop closer in toward the City and has a motor lodge within walking distance to BART on Main St. & Ygnacio Valley Rd. The Marriott in WC is also walking distance to BART. Walnut Creek has a nice, safe downtown area with lots of shops & restaurants and a free shuttle that loops around from BART to all the shopping.

On the other hand, if you're going to be cruising down the coast, you might want to stay on the Peninsula. I'm not familiar with what's around those stations.
4girlsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
disykat
DIS Veteran

Thank you - exactly the info I was looking for!
Old 11-28-2006, 01:54 AM   #6
CA Disney Fans

Loves watching great baseball

There's also the Marriott (on Broadway) and Courtyard by Marriott (on 9th St) in downtown Oakland. And the 12th Street BART station is a block away.

DL - lost track of all of the trips taken before 1989; WDW 1989 - Grosvenor; WDW 1998 - off site; DL 1999 - off site;
DL 2001 - off site; WDW May 2002 - CBR (Disney Honeymoon); WDW Dec 2003/Jan 2004 - BC; WDW Aug 2005 - BWI, joined DVC;
DL Dec 2005 - off site; WDW Sep 2006 - BWV, got WDW AP, MNSSHP; WDW Aug 2007 - ASSp; DL Jul 2009 - Grand Californian Hotel;
DL Jun 2010 - Villas at Grand Californian; DL Jul 2010 - off site, got DL AP; DL Aug 2010 - Paradise Pier; DL Oct 2010 - off site;
DL Thanksgiving 2010 - Paradise Pier; DL Dec 2010 - off site; DL Apr 2011 - off site; WDW Aug 2011 - SSR & BWV, got WDW AP;
DL Feb 2012 (Leap Day) - Castle Inn & Suites, upgraded to Premier AP; DL Mar 2012 - quick day trip; DL Apr 2012 - DoubleTree;
DL Jun 2012 - DoubleTree, Cars Land preview; DL Jul 2012 - Hilton; DL Oct 2012 - Ayres, Club 33 lunch;
DL Aug 2013 - Disneyland Hotel; DL Aug 2014 - Disneyland Hotel
CA Disney Fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:41 AM   #7
travelgirl06
DIS Veteran

BART goes down to SFO Airport, so if you aren't concerned about commute time into the city (I think its between 40 minutes and an hour) there are a ton of nice hotels at decent prices in this area. Most of the hotels have airport shuttles and you can pick up BART right at the terminal. The ride into the city is nice and very easy. We used Hotwire and got the airport Hyatt for around $100, and I'm sure there were more reasonable options available too, depending on what you're looking for :-).
travelgirl06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: