Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
kevinsmum
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 19

Bvvp(vertigo)

I have benn diagnosed with BPPV (vertigo),most people think this just affects you when going up heights but this isnt the case ,it affects your every day life ;u feel dizzy ,cant walk straight,feel sick and generally feel miserable,after reading some of your posts i feel guilty writing this as some of you hare having a much worse time than me.I have managed to keep working and been in my job for 10 years but i recently left to start a new job which would be better financailly and better hours but after 3 days i had a vertigo attack and they suggested it would be better i left so now i have no job and 2 young kids and am feeling sorry for myself as i said before i should feel lucky that im not as ill as some people but i just wish now that i had stayed in the job i was in ,still it was probaly fate and something better is round the corner for me ,sorry for moaning on
kevinsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #2
pjb_hockey_mom
Reminds me of a bad attempt at an Etch a Sketch drawing
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Central Mass
Posts: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsmum
I have benn diagnosed with BPPV (vertigo),most people think this just affects you when going up heights but this isnt the case ,it affects your every day life ;u feel dizzy ,cant walk straight,feel sick and generally feel miserable,after reading some of your posts i feel guilty writing this as some of you hare having a much worse time than me.I have managed to keep working and been in my job for 10 years but i recently left to start a new job which would be better financailly and better hours but after 3 days i had a vertigo attack and they suggested it would be better i left so now i have no job and 2 young kids and am feeling sorry for myself as i said before i should feel lucky that im not as ill as some people but i just wish now that i had stayed in the job i was in ,still it was probaly fate and something better is round the corner for me ,sorry for moaning on
Hi Kevinsmum, I remember my first verigo attack. I woke up and opened my eyes and the room was spinning, tried to get out of bed and fell to my knees.

The doctor prescribed Meclizine and it has worked, there are other treatments and even therapy. Has your dr. recommended anything for you?

Please take care of yourself.
__________________
pjb_hockey_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
msdznyduck
Victim of the latest fly by tagging
my kids were shocked when they found out the music truck sells ICE CREAM. They just thought it was a neighbor riding around playing music for his friends
 
msdznyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: central NJ
Posts: 1,727

Try a physical therapist that is trained in vestibular therapy. It can make a big difference. The BPPV may be caused by 'crystals' in your ear(s) being out of place. THe therapist can do what is called Eply maneuvers, that will (hopefully), put the crystals back where they belong. I work for therapists that do these procedures, and we see people that have had this problem sometimes for many months. Sometimes 2 or 3 visits is all that is needed...sometimes not, since everyone is different. But it's worth a shot. Good luck with whatever you decide.
__________________
Elaine

~~*msdznyduck*~~

Imagine all the people living life in peace.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one.
--John Lennon

We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand. ---Randy Pausch

Be kinder than necessary. 'Cause everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
msdznyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.
 
minkydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North GA
Posts: 16,512

dont apologize. My heart goes out to you.One of the worst Christmases we ever had was the year I suffered vertigo. It was brought on by medication and I was completely miserable. I couldn't bend over, read, watch TV. All I wanted to do was sleep. Bleah I never want to go through that again!
__________________
Never underestimate the determination of the mother with a handicapped child
minkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Erie Islands
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 209

Google "Eply maneuvers" and a lot of information will come up. I've had vertigo attacks on and off for 20 years and these have really helped. Print out the eply information and show it to your doctor...he may refer you to a specialist. God bless and try not to worry.
Erie Islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!
 
rie'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 19,069

Kevinsmum,please don't minimize your vertigo. What you're going through isn't easy and you have tough times dealing with your illness. That's what this board is for-we're all here to help each other cope.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
kathleena
Because everyone needs a Fairy Godmother
All fairies are friends!
 
kathleena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Cape Elizabeth, ME USA
Posts: 2,201

You don't have to suffer with BPPV. Definitely go see a neuromuscular therapist. I just have BPPV treatment two weeks ago and it took care of it in one shot.

BUT part of my vertigo is caused by the muscles in my neck and shoulders, so they are also being treated. Be sure you are dianosed correctly.
__________________
Nancy in Maine (not a hoity-toity state) DVC Since Jan 2000, BWV & BCV

I had to turn 58, so I did it on the Disney Dream Inaugural Cruise!

kathleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:36 AM   #8
MulanMom
DIS Veteran
 
MulanMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 1,407

I've had two experiences with vertigo. The first was scary. I was in my 20s and drinking Diet Pepsi and eating very little. Tests didn't reveal anything. Nutrasweet had just come out a few years before. As it turns out, Nutrasweet aka aspartame, causes dizziness in me. There have been times where I get what I call the whoozies, and when I backtrack, I find someone gave me a piece of gum that contained aspartame. I've been avoiding that product for over 20 years and am amazed that it is still so prevalent.

Second was diagnosed as BPPV. It was positional and awful. The docs finally determined that it was caused by pieces of a plaque-like substance that lines the cochlea that break off and are too large to be absorbed into the fluid. I went to a specially trained therapist . Most of the hours long appointment was him positioning me in different ways so as to identify where the item ws specifically located. Then he had me do a few movements (presumably to bring the particle into the fluid so it's reabsorbed...or something like that). I was cured in one visit, although they mentioned it may take two or three.

I think I'd go crazy with vertigo that couldn't be cured. Hang in there. Perhaps by following a few of the suggestions you were given, you can find relief.
MulanMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:41 AM   #9
kevinsmum
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 19

thanks for all you replies,i have had over 10 epleys now and they have came to the conclusion that i will need to learn to live with it,hopefully it will ease with time and that i can get a job soon as that is worrying me too ,thanks for all your suggestions
kevinsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
kathleena
Because everyone needs a Fairy Godmother
All fairies are friends!
 
kathleena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Cape Elizabeth, ME USA
Posts: 2,201

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsmum
thanks for all you replies,i have had over 10 epleys now and they have came to the conclusion that i will need to learn to live with it,hopefully it will ease with time and that i can get a job soon as that is worrying me too ,thanks for all your suggestions
I find this surprising. Makes me think that either a) they are doing it wrong for b) you have been assessed wrong.

Did you ge this same opinion from more than one place?
__________________
Nancy in Maine (not a hoity-toity state) DVC Since Jan 2000, BWV & BCV

I had to turn 58, so I did it on the Disney Dream Inaugural Cruise!

kathleena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:23 PM   #11
drag n' fly
Bucket list alert!!...Rode the Lilly Belle and dined at Club 33 on the same day with Dave Smith!!
 
drag n' fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,509

I also have bppv. I take serc when it is really bad. Have had physical therapy also. It is very effective. When I feel it coming on I place warmed polysporin drops in the affected ear and take gravol...it sounds strange but works for me.
drag n' fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 09:18 AM   #12
GDUL
DIS Veteran
 
GDUL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canton, MI.
Posts: 536

My wife has had several episodes of vertigo in the past couple of months. She went to the Vestibular Clinic at the University of Michigan where they performed the Eply maneuvers. It's pretty amazing how fast that can work! Unfortunately, she had a couple more episodes and has now been diagnosed with Meniere's Disease - again, a problem with the inner ear. Here's a website discussing this:

http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/balance/meniere.cfm

She has been on a low salt diet with a mild diuretic for the past 3 weeks - so far, no episodes of vertigo although her physician stated that she'd probably still have several episodes a year.
__________________


Gary
Members at OKW Since 1994

February 2015 at Old Key West for our granddaughter #1's first trip to WDW
GDUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #13
drag n' fly
Bucket list alert!!...Rode the Lilly Belle and dined at Club 33 on the same day with Dave Smith!!
 
drag n' fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,509

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDUL
My wife has had several episodes of vertigo in the past couple of months. She went to the Vestibular Clinic at the University of Michigan where they performed the Eply maneuvers. It's pretty amazing how fast that can work! Unfortunately, she had a couple more episodes and has now been diagnosed with Meniere's Disease - again, a problem with the inner ear. Here's a website discussing this:

http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/balance/meniere.cfm

She has been on a low salt diet with a mild diuretic for the past 3 weeks - so far, no episodes of vertigo although her physician stated that she'd probably still have several episodes a year.

That is brutal. I have had one very severe episode that got me hospitalized and several small episodes that I was able to get control of. I do the Eply maneuvers at home and start them again when I feel a bitty funny. I can almost predict them coming now. Not like the first one that hit me instantly with no warning. My biggest fear is it is going to hit while I am driving with the kids in the van. How does the low sodium diet affect it?
drag n' fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #14
kevinsmum
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 19

Hi all,thanks for all your replies ,no luckon the job front ,i had a drop attack today but managed to cope a bit better than i usually do,i think its a matter of taking one day at a time with this illness
kate
kevinsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #15
GDUL
DIS Veteran
 
GDUL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canton, MI.
Posts: 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag n' fly
That is brutal. I have had one very severe episode that got me hospitalized and several small episodes that I was able to get control of. I do the Eply maneuvers at home and start them again when I feel a bitty funny. I can almost predict them coming now. Not like the first one that hit me instantly with no warning. My biggest fear is it is going to hit while I am driving with the kids in the van. How does the low sodium diet affect it?
Apparently, Meniere's Disease is caused by excess fluid in the inner ear. Following a low salt diet and taking a mild diuretic will decrease water in the body and hopefully, the excess fluid in the inner ear. This should decrease the number of episodes of vertigo but probably not get rid of them totally. My wife's doctor is hoping that the episodes will decrease to one a month. She hadn't had an episode in about 3 weeks now but she woke up at about 2 AM last night with a pretty bad one - lasted for about 1 1/2 hours. There are surgical interventions that can be done but a lot of them result in total hearing loss (in the affected ear).

Just to be clear, my wife had (has) 2 different issues, one involving the crystals in the inner ear which the Eply maneuvers corrected (and is no longer an issue) and second, being diagnosed with Meniere's Disease which became apparent after the first problem was corrected.
__________________


Gary
Members at OKW Since 1994

February 2015 at Old Key West for our granddaughter #1's first trip to WDW
GDUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: