Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2006, 01:28 AM   #1
Caltha
Mouseketeer

Dinosaur ride at A.K, what sort of ride is it, how scary??

I have been wondering about the Dinosaur ride at A.K. I hear it is really scary, can some explain the ride to me, please.
Caltha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:34 AM   #2
sweetspicy
The one with the mesmerizing avatar
Just appreciate what you have!

It's got one kind-of scary part (which I won't ruin for you), but the rest is not really scary, at least, in my opinion. Basically, you sit in a jeep and it goes looking for dinosaurs. It can be a little jerky, but it's really fun. Maybe somebody else can explain it better than me, but it's one of my favorite rides at AK.

I'm right on top of that, Rose!
sweetspicy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2006, 01:46 AM   #3
disneylandkitty
Mouseketeer

its like indiana jones at disneyland very fun... i don't like scary rides and i like it i was scared to go on at first
disneylandkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:41 AM   #4
Caltha
Mouseketeer

Is it a roller coaster type or ride, or not?
Caltha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 03:54 AM   #5
cjb71870
DIS Veteran

It is one of the rides on hydraulics. It is a dark ride. Meaning not alot of light.
cjb71870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:06 AM   #6
4chitlins
Ditto to being a country girl
Dunkin Donuts all the way for me
Just stick in devoted Mom and that's me!

I didn't think it was scary but it was definately a rough ride, jerking you back and forth

me 53 : DD18 :: Dtwins17 :: :DD11
I do not intend to tiptoe through life,only to arrive safely at death....
Feb.2007 Off Site
Sept.2007 Pop Century
May 2008 BCV
Sept 2010 OKW
Sept 2012 AKL BLT
4chitlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Fun ride. 7 year old dd loved it.

me dh ds (16) dd (15) and Baxter (my 7 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:06 AM   #8
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

We need to establish what is "scary" and then go from there.

I personally am not "scared" of theme-park rides.

Roller coasters don't scare me, but they petrify some guests.
(And, no, Dinosaur is not a roller coaster.)

"Dark rides" don't scare me, but things that unexpectedly jump out at guests (accompanied by sudden sounds) like the heads-behind-the-grave stones (or in the trunks in the attic) at HM make some guests frightened.

"Rough" rides don't scare me, but some guests can't take the severe physical jostling and violent shaking, stops, and rapid starts.

Dinosaur is DESIGNED to BE "scary" (or exciting or surprising, and/or startling).
That is its mission: to make guests react excitedly (some would say "with fright") from riding through its course.

Dinosaur is the ROUGHEST ride at WDW.
The jeeps change angle steeply, lunge forward, pulse forward and stop quickly... many, many times times during the ride.

Dinosaur is the DARKEST ride at WDW. There are stretches in total darkness, interrupted by objects and "animals" coming quickly into view accompanied by loud sound effects, then darkness again.

Dinosaur is the LOUDEST ride at WDW. Certain (a great number) of the sound effects are intentionally very loud. Certainly the very loudest sound on any attraction (if you don't count the cannon and gun-powder explosions at Fantasmic!)

And, Dinosaur has the biggest "jump-out-at-you" scenes at WDW.
There are at least three (some would say MORE) situations where the idea is to take guests totally by surprise and make them "jump".

So if these things would upset you (or SCARE you) be forewarned that Dinosaur has them, and has much MORE of these kinds of situations than any other attraction at the 4 parks.

After saying all that...
I LIKE this attraction and ride it several times every trip.

So no, I'M not "scared" of it, but many guests very well MIGHT be.

Last edited by Robo; 11-12-2006 at 07:48 AM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:28 AM   #9
SnwflkCts
I wanna go back ... when can I go back???

Great description ROBO! I am into thrill rides - large coasters, drop type rides etc... but don't put me on a Ferris Wheel -- terrifying.

Now having been to WDW TWICE (think I am an expert now ), Dinosaur is just as others have described. Dark, rough and large critters coming at you. I LOVED IT!

You see so much more each time you go on it ... was I asleep the first time???? The dinosaurs leaning towards the jeep was so much more intense this time for me. Great ride!

The ONLY ride at WDW that frightens me is Astro Orbiter -- scared me to DEATH! Let DH do that one alone!
DH, me, DCats: Maddie (12), Peanut Butter (12), Jelly Bean (7), Snowflake RIP 1/2010@19 yrs & Baby Button@2 yrs in 11/2011 - Feb 06 Poly; Nov 06 Poly (21st Wedding Ann.); Feb 09 Poly; Feb 10 Poly Second Dining Report 2/07/2010 thru 2/12/2010
SnwflkCts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:31 AM   #10
sarah4770
DIS Veteran

I think dinosaur is the only ride at wdw I would never do again. When they take your picture during the ride, My head was buried in my teen son's shoulder! I hated this ride. I really did.
sarah4770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:55 AM   #11
#1 Pocahontas
DIS Veteran

I personally don't think it's scary. I don't think we will take our DD, age 4, on it though. It might scare her.

I didn't know it was supposed to be scary until I read here that people thought it was. I just think its fun. It is my favorite ride of all the parks.

As far as the Dinosaur scenes go, I pay little to no attention to them. I don't really like dinosaurs, it grosses me out to always see them eating other dinosaurs so whenever I see them I always look away. Plus we are usually laughing so hard I forget to look anyway. The first time I rode it I totally saw the "scary" part coming so it didn't freak me out. I guess if you didn't see it coming it might really scare you.

As far as the ride goes.... I am a complete ride wimp. I hate roller costars, I rode Goofy's barnstormer once and that was enough for me. I even gets a bit freaked on Dumbo if DD goes to high. But I LOVE Dinosaur. It is very jerky, and bumpy. Which is what I think is so much fun. It does not go very fast and there are no drops. There is one part that looks like it might be a drop by it isn't.

Give it a try
DH Me DD#1 DD#2 DD#3
#1 Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:17 AM   #12
may06orbust
Mouseketeer

My DD19 totally tweaked out on this ride! And believe me, she is not a "ride wimp". Her favorite ride @ WDW is TOT. Myself, DH and DS11 couldn't stop laughing and loved this ride--although it is really jerky. DD kept covering her ears and was burying herself next to her little brother--she was on the end of the seat. She came off shrieking and crying. She's already announced that next time she will wait for us outside with the backpack.
may06orbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #13
Mouse511
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't say it's scary. However, it's definitely a rough ride......bumpy. We go on it every trip, but it's not one of my favorites.
10/99 Dixie Landings -- 03/00 Offsite-Universal Studios -- 10/01 Port Orleans Riverside -- 10/03 Caribbean Beach -- 12/06 Wilderness Lodge -- 09/07 Wilderness Lodge -- 10/07 WDW Swan -- 10/08 Saratoga Springs -- 02/09 Old Key West -- 10/09 Vero Beach & Old Key West -- 11/10 Old Key West -- 5/11 Bay Lake Tower -- 11/12 Old Key West
Mouse511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:06 PM   #14
mickeymom629
DIS Veteran

I finally tried this ride on our last trip and I loved it! I am a ride wimp and will not go on any of the roller coasters. My best tip for you and children is to wear ear plugs. I did and I think that's the only reason I enjoyed it so much. It is VERY loud. It is also very rough (much more so than the Safari, but the same kind of vehicle jerkiness), so if you have a bad back, you might want to skip it or mentally prepare yourself to "loosen" up (or take 2 Advil before you go on). I wish I had done this ride years ago.

2014 Feb AKV/BLT for PHM!!; 2013 Jan ASM/BWV grand villa!!; 2012 April DL/DCA GCV (spring break); 2010 March Princess Half Marathon POFQ/BWV; 2009 May SSR villa; 2008 June OKW; 2008 March (Spring break) BWV; 2007 Dec. Quality Suites; 2007 July POP/OKW; 2006 April (Spring break) Quality Suites/OKW; 2005 June/July ASSp/OKW; 2005 March - (Spring break) OKW;2004 June/July CBR/OKW; 2003 Dec. BWV; 2003 Jan. Wonder Cruise/HH; 2002 Apr. (Spring break) VWL; 2001 July OKW; 2000 Aug. FW cabin/BWV; 1999 Oct./Nov. ASM/ASSp Became DVC owners!; 1998 Apr./May FW Cabin; 1993 Dec. Travelodge
mickeymom629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:10 PM   #15
SuperTink
Magic Memory Keeper

No motion sickness or dizziness factor on this ride??
SuperTink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: