Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #1411
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Well-- The Dr.'s assistant said she would try and order the thyrogen at the end of June, so I emailed her yesterday and she just responded that she had submitted my insurance info to the Thyrogen company and would let me know as soon as she hears anything. I am tempted to tell her to skip it and do the cytomel-- just because of my fertility issues I don't want anything holding me up. What do you ladies think you would do?
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #1412
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Micayla - do you mean you dont want to wait to see if there will be a delay in getting the thyrogen versus just knowing you can go another route, because as soon as the scan is completed you want to TTC?
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #1413
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Micayla - do you mean you dont want to wait to see if there will be a delay in getting the thyrogen versus just knowing you can go another route, because as soon as the scan is completed you want to TTC?
Yes- well not as soon as, b/c you have to wait two months to get the tracer dose out of your system. But I'm trying to decide whether to wait on the thyrogen or just go ahead and do 4 weeks cytomel, 2 weeks with nothing.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #1414
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Well, you did do that before and wasnt it so draining on you? I have never gone that route, so I cant comment on that part of it. (cytomel). I guess if you could handle the diet and those side effects at the same time, it would be ok. I dont think I could physically or mentally do it both at once with all the symptoms you described you had before.

Can they guarantee you that you will have the thyrogen? Remember I specifically asked the rad. onc. about this and she gave me the whole US thyrogen update.

dischick also had no problem getting the thyrogen but she lives in the ny metro area too. so maybe we have a good supplier as my rad. onc said.

If they are getting it for you from the midwest plant than it should be ok? Also I think you would probably have a better chance of getting it from a hospital who has a cancer center or large teaching hosp. etc. Like the largest hospital by you or within distance, in indiannapolis?
Old 07-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #1415
mrsklamc

I would have done ok on the cytomel/withdrawal process last time if it weren't for the fact that the lab tech screwed up the blood test, and THEN we had to wait to get in for another round of radiation once my blood labs came back.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #1416
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Christine should chime in here with her word of wisdom for sure, and Christine if you do, OT, what kind of car did you end up getting? My ds just leased the hyundai sonata. I dont like the leather seats.

Well in my own endo horror story. I just called to change my visit. Its for July 18 and dh will be out of here so I thought no problem. She says, I will give you the next available date, I said thats nice , She .?says...December!! I said, wiat what about August? She says the dr. will not be here. She said do you have diabetes? I said NO!! I have cancer!! So what, diabetes takes a higher precedence there? I said look, I need a sono, blood work etc. and that is to be done 2 weeks before the visit so I am not scheduling that unitl I get a new date. So I said then dont cancel that date yet etc. So she says a secretary in the endocrionology dept. will call me back. Gheesh. I didnt know it would be so hard to get a visit. Maybe its just her since she is the only female endo besides one of the chief ones. And there goes another day in the...General Hospital or aka How I cant get a stinkin appt. visit with the endo.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #1417
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Christine should chime in here with her word of wisdom for sure, and Christine if you do, OT, what kind of car did you end up getting? My ds just leased the hyundai sonata. I dont like the leather seats.
Okay, I'll chime in!! I haven't been reading in a few days, sorry about that.

Micayla, if you think you can tolerate the withdraw/Cytomel scan, I would do it. However, I am not a HUGE fan of Thyrogen as it hasn't been good for me. You seemed to weather through the last time pretty well, except for at the end when it got screwed up. If you think the whole Thyrogen thing is going to mess you up, then skip it. I do wonder, though, how will going hypo affect fertility issues and pregnancy issues? Will that delay you further also? Takes a good while for the body to recover from hypo. I don't overly like the idea of conceiving when the body is not at its peak. So, you see, I'm torn too.

As for the car, I'm paralyzed on that one. I think I'm really leaning toward the Elantra; however, it's so popular I can't even look at one on the lot. Which also means I'll pay sticker--something I.NEVER.DO. The Sonata's okay. What don't you like about the leather seats? Is the leather worse than any other leather you have experienced? I have never had leather seats. My friend has leather in her Camry but does not like it either. I'm a dirty slob so I think leather would work well for me.

I also have a bad cold right now. Can I get some Coping and Compassion!!!!! I haven't had a cold in YEARS. They are awful.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #1418
dischick4778
DIS Veteran

I guess I didn't know, but is there a thyrogen shortage? It just seemed like the norm at my hospital. There wasn't even a question that I would not get it. The Dr. told me the alternative was 4 weeks off synthroid which as he put it would be torture. Is this a NY thing?

Also, does having thyroid issues contribute to not being able to conceive? I have asked both my endo and obgyn about this and neither one indicated this as a concern for me having future children. They only said we would have to adjust my meds once I was pregnant. We aren't thinking about it right now as my son is only 1, but I was thinking it would be nice in the future. I didn't even realize this was a possible issue.

Luvmarypoppins - where do you live and why is it so challenging to get an appointment?! That is a terrible way to treat you. I hope it works out for you.
1986, offsite 1988, offsite 1996, Dixie Landings 1998, Coronado Springs 2001, Caribbean Beach Resort May 2002, Port Orleans French Nov. 2002, Old Key West Aug. 2003, Old Key West Nov. 2003, Old Key West Nov. 2004, Animal Kingdom Lodge Aug. 2005, Grand Californian Aug. 2005, Old Key West Nov. 2005, Boardwalk Villas Aug. 2006, Saratoga Springs Nov. 2006, Boardwalk Villas July 2007, Old Key West Nov. 2007, Beach Club Villas Nov. 2008, Boardwalk Villas Apr. 2009, All Star Music Aug. 2009, Old Key West June 2011, AKV Kidani Village July 2011, AKV Kidani Village

~Our Disney Family~
dischick4778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #1419
mrsklamc

Dischick- don't worry about fertility. LOTS of women have kids after thyroid cancer; the only risk I have found is a slight-very slight- increased risk of alopecia. And I only found that because I research obsessively. They will want to monitor your levels closely. My fertility issues are a 'bonus' problem apart from my cancer.

I did ask the Dr's assistant if I could start taking Cytomel. She said she would get back to me no later than Tuesday-- I'm sure they are swamped between the holiday and the fact that the doctor's only in three days per week normally.

And YES, Christine, you can have compassion! I HATE colds.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #1420
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dischick4778 View Post
Also, does having thyroid issues contribute to not being able to conceive?

The only way they would contribute is if your TSH is out of whack.

I don't know what Micayla's issues are specifically, but if she goes off her meds for 4-6 weeks she's going to get VERY hypo. When she goes back on her meds, it will take a long while for her body to "right" itself. I would think that this could definitely complicate getting pregnant temporarily.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #1421
mrsklamc

Dr. says the thyrogen will be available this month "as far as she knows" and she's "OK with waiting."

Though I don't have most of the traditional symptoms, they think I may have PCOS, which is unrelated to the thyroid stuff. I just lost the medical/environmental/genetic lottery.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #1422
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Micayla - I think our hosp. literature says something like thyrogen allows our patients to have a good quality of life while undergoing treatment? Something like that, or does not intfere with life?? I would have to look up the exact words. But you get the jist.

I would pick the thyrogen in a minute, but that is just me. You have to do what is best for you.

Christine -I just didnt like the feel of them, but the moon roof is nice.

dischick - I live about Mid Suffolk. You can get to my town by either exit 62,63 or 64 on the expressway. I go to SB. Home of the best ideas in medicine, well thats what is says on tv

Well in my endo saga. I am getting the blood work tomm., monday dh is taking me for a sonogram. Only bad thing is its in the hospital. Its the only available appt. I dont like going there, too many bad memories, but our friend is having surgery and maybe we can see how he is etc. Then the 18th I asked my oldest ds to take me to the endo. So he will ask his boss on tues. He better say yes. So I had to call and say keep, keep the visit etc. They must think I am a looney tune! And now our compressor has blown out of our central ac unit. Can I just say its hotter than blazes here. I dont think this is too good for the synthroid. I am sweating most everything out. I had cramps yest. so I ate a banana today. Worse, the guy cant get the part for a week since our unit is so old and dh refuses to get a whole new unit, just too expensive he said right now. Oh well.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #1423
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Well I just got back from the blood test and after it was over and I was signing the papers, I realized that she didnt check off the vitamin D blood test,

Hmm, I questioned? the tech. She said, yes she wrote your vit d deficiency diagnosis but didnt order the test.

So she told me to call the nurse on monday and ask if they want the test to be run.

I dont know if my endo wanted it done or not. I think she always does it, so I really cant remember. I am also wondering if she is a bit rushy with the patients. I am seriously going to be looking at all my paperwork before I leave the office at the check out desk.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #1424
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Chatty one here

Tomm. ds19 is taking me for my sono as dh forgot he has a meeting. Good since he wants to volunteer there anyway, helps with getting into the nursing program possibly. Also our friend is having surgery so I might pop into the surgery pre wait area and read the board and see how he is etc.

Here is my question. When you have a sono, how far up or down do they go on your neck., I looked at the order and it said check lymph nodes in neck and thyroid bed. for lymph node mets.

My question and I am going to ask the sonographer is since I had the level 2 infected lymph node will they go that high up, its under my ear etc, where does the neck lymph nodes start, level 2 or 3. I dont know if the endo knows about this (the rad. onc. also didnt get the surgeons note about his biopsy etc.). I guess I just want to cover all my lymph node bases if I can etc.

Any thoughts.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #1425
mrsklamc

I don't think they went up as high as under my ear.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: