Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #1291
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Hey now!! Didn't you just get back!!!!! I'm jealous.
Well we were there in December. We are creatures of habit. Usually December and May. I am trying to talk my dh into the food and wine. We have never done that. Not for the drinking part, which we dont do, just the eating and good weather. I need to find some kind of deal for that. He has an ap and can also get the govt. discount at the swan or dolphin.

I got a new lab tech and all I can say is ouch. I think this girl was so inexperienced. She couldnt get the blood to come out and kept poking the needle around inside me. I almost said something as the needle was coming out and poking me really bad and now I have a nice bruise. I also thought the dr. ordered a cmp but its just a cbc after I looiked at the script.

And the lymph node is getting smaller.
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #1292
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Well we were there in December. We are creatures of habit. Usually December and May. I am trying to talk my dh into the food and wine. We have never done that. Not for the drinking part, which we dont do, just the eating and good weather. I need to find some kind of deal for that. He has an ap and can also get the govt. discount at the swan or dolphin.

I got a new lab tech and all I can say is ouch. I think this girl was so inexperienced. She couldnt get the blood to come out and kept poking the needle around inside me. I almost said something as the needle was coming out and poking me really bad and now I have a nice bruise. I also thought the dr. ordered a cmp but its just a cbc after I looiked at the script.

And the lymph node is getting smaller.
Good for you on the lymph node. Don't you HATE bad lab techs? I love it when I come across that rare one where I can't even feel the needle go in.

I'm still jealous about your trip.

When my kids were small, we ALWAYS went in May. I would just pull them out of school. I loved the weather then and the crowds were not awful. We were there for the Food and Wine festival a few time but never did it because it was all about the kids then.

Once my kids got into higher grades, I couldn't take them out anymore and we've been stuck going in the summer. God, I hate it. They are bugging me to go again but I just don't think I can do another summer trip.

I want to go in May so bad.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #1293
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Well I read on the American Thyroid Association website that they are expecting a thyrogen shortage until the middle of June for the US.

My rad. onc. mentioned this to me but said it should get straightened out by the beginning of 2011. (Doesnt seem like it, I saw her before christmas)

Anyone have any insight on this. My testing will be middle May so I am hoping my hosp. has a supply of thyrogen and that they wont be using it on a case for case basis. I know I would qualify as the nurse before told me they save it for the older patients etc. and I am already stage 4 so thats gotta count for something.

Also, I told my dh that the nuclear plant in Japan is emitting the stuff I had to swallow. He thinks my logic is strange. He has worked with radiation before too so he is used to all this stuff I guess. He has been banned by the govt. from going to Japan or stopping over there for any flights right now. He is just doing China stuff anyway so it is working out good right now for him.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #1294
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Well I read on the American Thyroid Association website that they are expecting a thyrogen shortage until the middle of June for the US.
I wish you could have had mine. Since it was just the blood test I could have gone on cytomel for a month and then nothing for a week, but my endo thought I would really like the synthroid. Hopefully it will be straightened out by May.

I'm glad your DH doesn't have to go to Japan.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #1295
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Well I was reading the thy ca website and a lady in NJ said her I -131 is cancelled after she has been on the diet since they CANT get the thyrogen!!

Wow! This has me concerned. I might have to wait to June, its ok with me as I am sure anyone who needs an initial I-131 dose at my hospital will get the thyrogen first because I dont think they normally withdraw anyone anyway. I said before how my rad. onc. always extols the wonders of thyrogen etc.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #1296
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.

Hey all!!! I am also a Thyroid Cancer survivor. I was diagnosed in August 2000. I had a complete Thyroidectomy. They also removed 8 lymphnodes around my neck and found that 6 had tumors in them.

The worst part of it all was that I had a 1 1/2 yo DD. It was hard because I couldn't be near her throught the nuc treatments because they said I could give her Leukemia (sp).

Just had to have followup surgery in January due to another lump in my neck. It was benign but still scary. The best part was that my surgeon this time also specializes in plastic surgery so my scar is nearly non-existent. The 2001 surgeon did a hack job. DH calls me the Human Pez Dispenser.
1986 - Off-Site; 1997 - Thanksgiving - Polynesian; 2001 - Christmas - All Star Sports; 2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS; 2013 - Mom Panel Training - Boardwalk; 2014 - Christmas - Grand Floridian

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #1297
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Suzanne - thanks for sharing your story. Just curious as to what kind of thy ca you have and if the new tumor occured on the same side as your original surgery. Did they say what the new path of the new tumor was. I just had that biopsy for the lymph node.

MedicBill - I dont know ifyou are subscribed to this thread, maybe I will see if I can send you a pm. Did you get a invite to the cancer talk at sb in Aprill? I am seeing one of those surgeons on Monday anyway so I just might ask him what he will be talking about that I need to know etc. Might save me from going.

Dischick - long time, no post, how are you?

Hope everyone else is dong well.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #1298
Granfan
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone,
DD age 40 had surgery to remove right thyroid lobe which contained a cancerous tumor. Now they want to take out the other side. Pathology report stated that many drs now do not recommend that if nothing else shows. She had the first surgery about a month ago. Does anyone have knowlege about recent medical guidelines on this?
Granfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #1299
mrsklamc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granfan View Post
Hi everyone,
DD age 40 had surgery to remove right thyroid lobe which contained a cancerous tumor. Now they want to take out the other side. Pathology report stated that many drs now do not recommend that if nothing else shows. She had the first surgery about a month ago. Does anyone have knowlege about recent medical guidelines on this?
I had surgery 18 months ago- 1/2 my thyroid looked perfect but they told me they no longer left the 'good' half because the cancer just comes back if you do.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #1300
Granfan
DIS Veteran

Mrsklamc, you had a complete thyroidectomy all at once? I wonder why they only took half of DD's The core biopsy had already told them it was follicular neoplasm. Shouldn't they have taken it all at once.?

Last edited by Granfan; 04-07-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #1301
mrsklamc

Quote:
Mrsklamc, you had a complete thyroidectomy all at once? I wonder why they only took half oft DD
I'm not sure; They had done a biopsy so they KNEW I had cancer on the left side, and like I said, they told me if they left the right side, the cancer was likely to come back. It's awful that your DD will have 2 procedures...Has she seen an endocrinologist?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #1302
Granfan
DIS Veteran

Her reports were sent to one and he's the one recommending another surgery.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:44 PM   #1303
Granfan
DIS Veteran

Maybe the type of cancer makes a difference. We are just so frustrated and confused. Her diagnosis Minimally Invasive Follicular Carcinoma with Onocytic Features.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #1304
mrsklamc

Quote:
Maybe the type of cancer makes a difference. We are just so frustrated and confused. Her diagnosis Minimally Invasive Follicular Carcinoma with Onocytic Features.
I'm so sorry. You end up feeling your way around a lot and it's really frustrating. I don't know what I'd have done without the ladies on this board, so I'm glad you're here....Odds are that if the endo had been in on the situation from the beginning, they'd have went ahead and done a total thyroidectomy. One of many things I've learned is that sometimes the latest greatest info takes some time to filter through the medical community.

I'd guess he's suggesting a total thyroidectomy followed by radioactive iodine therapy?

I recommend going to amazon or your local library if they might have it - look for the complete thyroid sourcebook by ain and rosenthal.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #1305
Granfan
DIS Veteran

Thank you. Mrsklamc. I'm so glad I found this thread and i will look for the book. God bless you and all others here.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: