Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2007, 11:59 AM   #76
lyeag
DIS Veteran

ok, new labs in

Free T3 2.17 (1.45-3.48)
Free T4 .67 (.7-1.9)

TSH 8.19 .49-4.67
The Dr now wants to put me on synthroid. I will go pick it up later and report back on how much. I am suprised with the numbers still moving around that much that he is giving me something. Two weeks ago the TSH was at 15.

Anyway, I am to do get labs done in 6 weeks and schedule a follow up with him.
lyeag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #77
Fan2CSkr
If you can judge a wise man by the color of his skin, then mister you're a better man than I

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyeag View Post
ok, new labs in

Free T3 2.17 (1.45-3.48)
Free T4 .67 (.7-1.9)

TSH 8.19 .49-4.67
The Dr now wants to put me on synthroid. I will go pick it up later and report back on how much. I am surprised with the numbers still moving around that much that he is giving me something. Two weeks ago the TSH was at 15.

Anyway, I am to do get labs done in 6 weeks and schedule a follow up with him.
He's giving you something because you have gone far too long already with a TSH level that is too high. Your T3 and T4 can stand a boost too. I feel my best with a suppressed TSH and my T3 and T4 pushing the upper ends of their ranges. While everyone is different, your TSH is just too high. I would be cold very very tired and feeling like crap overall. It is totally not unusual for you to now be hypo following your bout with hyper. Most people will stay medicated on thyroid replacement for life after that happens. Be thankful, in a few weeks you should be feeling much better and on your way to becoming euthyroid! The next set of labs is six weeks, the amount of time it takes to get a steady level of synthroid in your system. Good Luck and keep us posted!

All the same, we take our chances
Laughed at by time
Tricked by Circumstances
Plus ca change
Plus c'est la meme chose
The more that things change
The more they stay the same

-RUSH-
Fan2CSkr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2007, 01:17 PM   #78
lyeag
DIS Veteran

I am just sort of confused. The last time I spoke to the nurse, she said it was thryoiditis and the dr was just watching to see if it resolves itself. With the numbers, specifically the TSH, making yet another huge jump, wouldn't you wait another 2 weeks to see if they move more? Like I mentioned, the TSH went down another 7 points.

I am feeling cold and tired most days, but I am functioning alright. Maybe I've been feeling like crap for so long, that I can't tell the difference anymore.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #79
Mackey Mouse
Me read the Navigator? I don't think so

tsk, tsk said in my best Bahsten accent

Tommy made Flubber

DISboards Moderator

Hugs Lyeag... I do hope they figure this out for you and get you straightened out..

I am not so good on the numbers, now if my daughter was reading this thread, she would be able to tell me exactly where you are with your levels..

I do hope the synthroid helps with the symptoms and you start feeling like your old self real soon..

Co-Moderator Restaurant Boards
Moderator, Coping and Compassion Board

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
Mackey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #80
Fan2CSkr
If you can judge a wise man by the color of his skin, then mister you're a better man than I

Quote:
I am just sort of confused. The last time I spoke to the nurse, she said it was thryoiditis and the dr was just watching to see if it resolves itself. With the numbers, specifically the TSH, making yet another huge jump, wouldn't you wait another 2 weeks to see if they move more? Like I mentioned, the TSH went down another 7 points.

I am feeling cold and tired most days, but I am functioning alright. Maybe I've been feeling like crap for so long, that I can't tell the difference anymore.
Nov 9
Free T4 1.20
Free T3 3.28
TSH .03

Dec 6

Free T4 .47 (.7-1.9)
Free T3 1.33 (1.45-3.48)

TSH 23.02 (.49-4.67)

Jan -07
Free T3 2.17 (1.45-3.48)
Free T4 .67 (.7-1.9)

TSH 8.19 .49-4.67

I added your recent labs to your previous two.

Since your levels are rebounding I dont see why you cant ask your Doctor to wait another two weeks and test again before making a decision. Based on your results I totally agree with you.

Laughed at by time
Tricked by Circumstances
Plus ca change
Plus c'est la meme chose

-RUSH-
Old 01-26-2007, 03:26 PM   #81
lyeag
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan2CSkr View Post
Nov 9
Free T4 1.20
Free T3 3.28
TSH .03

Dec 6

Free T4 .47 (.7-1.9)
Free T3 1.33 (1.45-3.48)

TSH 23.02 (.49-4.67)

January 10th labs:
T3 1.62
T4 .67

TSH 15.36

Jan 25-07
Free T3 2.17 (1.45-3.48)
Free T4 .67 (.7-1.9)

TSH 8.19 .49-4.67

I added your recent labs to your previous two.

Since your levels are rebounding I dont see why you cant ask your Doctor to wait another two weeks and test again before making a decision. Based on your results I totally agree with you.
I added in my labs from the 10th, and now you can really see the pattern of them coming down - especially the tsh. I am going to get the script after 4, and hopefully I can catch the nurse then.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:59 PM   #82
teacups
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Hi Liz!

I hate being hyperthyroid. I know many/most people complain of HYPOthyroidsim, but I find being hyper to be much more intolerable. I've been severely hypo (TSH well over 100) and mildly hyper and it's the hyper side that gives me the most discomfort. I hate the racing heart and palpitations.
Try gaining 50 pounds in one-two months, loosing all energy to the point of your kids practically existing without you, falling into an ugly deep depression that really hangs in there thru thick and thin, as if THIN is even a word you'd ever mumble again! your skin flaky in ugly places, forgetting everything and knowing your not insane but fearing you are starting to become very stupid, rememebering the person you used to be and actually missing yourself! OH and the best part is the fact that your labs come back "within normal range". I'm not doggin on HYPER people, I was one of them once until the doctor told me to swallow poison and I did it... I would go back to hyper/graves in A FLASH! Hypo robs you of the personal resourses you need to help yourself. It's degrading and humiliating and ugly. And the doctors have never ever, ever been any help to me with this. When I was hyper I could freak myself out with the racing heart badly... but I would rather have that today, believe me. Well wait... I'd rather have NEITHER! THEY BOTH SUCK!!!
teacups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #83
Fan2CSkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacups View Post
Try gaining 50 pounds in one-two months, loosing all energy to the point of your kids practically existing without you, falling into an ugly deep depression that really hangs in there thru thick and thin, as if THIN is even a word you'd ever mumble again! your skin flaky in ugly places, forgetting everything and knowing your not insane but fearing you are starting to become very stupid, remembering the person you used to be and actually missing yourself! OH and the best part is the fact that your labs come back "within normal range". I'm not doggin on HYPER people, I was one of them once until the doctor told me to swallow poison and I did it... I would go back to hyper/graves in A FLASH! Hypo robs you of the personal resourses you need to help yourself. It's degrading and humiliating and ugly. And the doctors have never ever, ever been any help to me with this. When I was hyper I could freak myself out with the racing heart badly... but I would rather have that today, believe me. Well wait... I'd rather have NEITHER! THEY BOTH SUCK!!!

Do you have Graves? When were your last labs? What are the results? Do you take any thyroid hormone replacement? What, and what is the dose? I'm sorry, I remember reading and commenting on one of your posts but don't recall the details. When did you have your thyroid ablated?

I've been hyper to the point of thyroid storm. That's a hyper most will never know, thankfully. Me personally, I would take hypo over that hell any day but I agree, I would rather have neither! Have any great hospitals nearby? Sounds like its time to take matters into your own hands and get yourself well! Oh and that hypo "brain fog" was just unbelievably horrendous!

Laughed at by time
Tricked by Circumstances
Plus ca change
Plus c'est la meme chose

-RUSH-
Old 01-29-2007, 12:17 AM   #84
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

Is everyone here on Synthroid? I take Armour 3grains. Synthroid didn't work for me at all. It make my blood levels read ok but I felt like-well you know. Just letting anyone w/Synthroid problems know there's an alternative. Many doctors don't like it because they feel the doses aren't constant but they have to go through stringent testing too. In fact, this was the drug used to treat Hypothyroidism for about 100 years until Synthroid was formulated. It's been a miracle in my life and in my husbands.
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 05:53 AM   #85
Mackey Mouse
Me read the Navigator? I don't think so

tsk, tsk said in my best Bahsten accent

Tommy made Flubber

DISboards Moderator

I have heard of the Armour medication, wonder why more endocrinologists do not use it. Wait, I bet I know the answer the big drug companies that make the others lobby more for the doctors to use them. My daughter's doctor took her off synthroid when there was talk that not every drug company was making it the same so everyone was getting a different dosage, although it was suppose to be let's say 5 mgs....She takes Levoxil, but I have to say people who live without thyroid deal with the constant of keeping those levels stable and if they are not, it is so unpleasant for them..

Hugs to you all, I understand, believe me I do understand.

Co-Moderator Restaurant Boards
Moderator, Coping and Compassion Board

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
Mackey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:14 AM   #86
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:

Yeah, I would agree that one would think he would wait another 2 weeks. But, as the other poster said, you've been hypo for a bit too long now. Hopefully he is just giving you a very small amount of thyroid hormone.

After one of my thyroid cancer treatments, my TSH was at about 145. I went back on my medication and after 6 weeks, I felt fabulous. I was shocked that my TSH was at 8.0. I felt great at that number.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #87
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackey Mouse View Post
I have heard of the Armour medication, wonder why more endocrinologists do not use it. Wait, I bet I know the answer the big drug companies that make the others lobby more for the doctors to use them.
Hugs to you all, I understand, believe me I do understand.

I participate on a thyroid cancer survivors list and this issue comes up often. One of the moderator/doctors on the list is EXTREMELY vocal about using Armour (he is against it) and feels that any "self-respecting" endocrinologist would not use it. I wish I could find one of his "rants" about it, but I can't. It seems to me that some of his concerns are valid, but I just can't remember them. As it is, I've worked with 3 different endos and NONE of them would touch the stuff.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 01-29-2007, 07:36 AM   #88
rie'smom
"Always let your conscience be your guide."
I cannot look at my hamburger after I've taken a bite
Toilet paper must come over the top!

I forot too that a prescription of Armour is about 15.00 w/out insurance. Armour is dessicated porcine(pork) thyroid. It's complete T3/T4 which of course means instead of 2 meds that you can take only 1. If Synthroid or the other meds work,great but if they don't,try something else. It angers me when docs refuse to consider other meds. It's like a male OB who totally doesn't get menopausal symptoms,except to throw estrogen at you-take this and shut-up. They count too much on the lab results and pay no attention to symptoms.
This is a website that I've found. You may or may not find it good reading: /www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
rie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #89
Christine

Okay, here is the info from one this country's "top" endocrinologists. Take it or leave it, but many endos feel this way:

Levothyroxine (T4) is the major product
of the thyroid gland and is essentially a
prohormone with minimal (if, debatedly, any)
activity of its own. It has a long and stable
half-life in the blood (one week) and is
transported into cells where it is converted into
T3, which directly interacts with receptors which
bind DNA and regulate genes. All of this has
been well-studied and constitutes a vast medical
and molecular biology literature. For patients
without thyroid glands, the ingestion of a pure
levothyroxine product provides ALL of the
necessary thyroid hormone products consequent to
normal metabolic and enzymatic bodily processes.

There is absolutely no conceivable role
for taking Armour thyroid extract or mixtures of
T3 and T4. Most of my colleagues and I would be
happy if the FDA removed these items from
production. Thyroid extract is a mixture of T4,
T3, thyroglobulin, and many other breakdown
products with erratic pharmacokinetics and nearly
impossible to accurately titrate for suppression
of TSH. There is no magical or supernatural or
any advantage to this animal product. Armour
thyroid provides a mixture of hormones that are
produced in pigs, not in humans. The only
reasonable medication is pure levothyroxine
(choose your brand). Cytomel is useful for the
first four weeks of the six-week levothyroxine
withdrawal period in preparation of I-131 scans
and/or therapy. It also has very limited utility
for supplemental treatment of myxedema coma
unresponsive to levothyroxine. (A medical study
from a couple of years ago suggesting T3
supplementation of levothyroxine therapy for
hypothyroidism is not generally accepted by
thyroidologists, for many good reasons, and
requires a great deal of confirmatory research
before any of its suggestions be used for
patients.)

There is nothing gained by choosing
medications based on "natural" extracts or
processes. Such items, frequently found in
"Health Food" stores, are often dangerous,
impure, untested, and of unproven value. Their
designation as a "natural" product merely
protects their manufacturers from having to
justify their purity, safety, and efficacy to the
FDA (which is empowered to protect us from
"pharmaceuticals" only), permitting great
financial profits at the expense of the public.
Many new drugs, such as Taxol (from the Yew
tree), and old drugs, such as penicillin (from
mold), come from sources in nature. In
comparison to "Health Food" shenanigans, these
natural products are stringently purified and
tested prior to making them available as
medications. It is possible that a few of the
"natural" products may have a fraction of a
percent of a useful agent, mixed in with far
larger quantities of toxic and useless "natural"
chemicals. Next time you go to these unregulated
"Health Food" stores, consider that the poison on
the darts used by various native peoples did not
come from a drug store.

Finally, in the wake of experience with
"mad cow" disease in England and the known
presence of prion diseases in cows, sheep,
humans, and other mammals, anyone who would
knowingly take an animal product over a
chemically pure synthesized compound should have
their head examined (for spongiform
encephalopathy).

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 01-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #90
lyeag
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Yeah, I would agree that one would think he would wait another 2 weeks. But, as the other poster said, you've been hypo for a bit too long now. Hopefully he is just giving you a very small amount of thyroid hormone.

After one of my thyroid cancer treatments, my TSH was at about 145. I went back on my medication and after 6 weeks, I felt fabulous. I was shocked that my TSH was at 8.0. I felt great at that number.
I didn't get to speak to anyone, but I did pick up the synthroid. The bottle says .1, the pills have a 100 on them and are yellow. I have been taking them for 3 days now. I don't feel much different, maybe not quite so tired, but still cold. I have been really good about making sure I take it at the same time and without food.

Thanks for your input.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: